The DC Film Universe Thread.

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The DC Film Universe Thread.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 pm

I think the conundrum for DC is that two franchises seem to be working in Momoa's Aquaman and Gadot's Wonder Woman - both versions they could still get a few more films out of, but the rest of the Snyderverse Justice League have actor/character combos that need to be rebooted going forward. They don't have a Superman it appears if Cavil doesn't want to be back, Batman is a convoluted mess (not helped by the Pattinson Batman running parallel outside of the main JL verse - let alone Joker - and uncertainty about Afleck's interest going forward, and whatever they are doing with Keaton), Cyborg is off the board (Fisher won't be back, and they can't recast him without reopening that whole debate about his accusations), and as for Miller in the Flash role, PR issues aside, Miller's behavior has to give WB pause about how reliable they might be to be the center of a $200 million investment. I don't think Miller's Flash is so beloved by audiences where if they went in a new direction it would be jarring, but still it is one more part of the JL that was established that isn't working out. It is a shame as it certainly appears that Miller needs some help.

Maybe they need to let WW and Aquaman carry the load, let Pattinson's Batman have its own side story, see how they fold in Shazam and Black Adam (and Hawkman, Fate and Atom), and try to build up Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, etc. Maybe a DCU that ignores Bats, Supes and Flash in the main continuity for a while is needed.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:40 pm

Henry Cavil is officially back as Superman according to his instagram.

I think this is the right choice. He fits the roll very well despite the questionable storylines that he gets plugged into.

I'm very curios to see where they go with the next Superman movie. With all the chaos behind the scenes at WB, what will it look like? Will his supporting cast return? I honestly don't care if they are all recast, from Amy Adams on down. Reboot it, continue it from.......where ever they left off (Is the theatrical Justice league the official canon? The Snyder Cut? Who knows).

If anything else it's yet another opportunity to get his action figure likeness correct. How many strikes are they at now? Half a dozen?
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:51 pm

Please do a soft reboot without a retelling of his origin, and for god's sake make a good decision for DC's Feige and director. Can we get Joe Johnston on this?
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:46 am

I think Cavill is horribly Miscast as Superman, and very divisive in the role. Doubletoasted does a good job summing up why;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxxh5tU9yjY

However, sadly... there's no other option but to stick with him. They could reboot with a young Gen Z Superman.. but that would be incredibly sad reflection of how badly WB has been screwing up Superman on film for decades.

On the positive side, this pretty much seals the deal that DC Films will be no competition (at all) to Marvel Studios in the years to come. WB is spinning it's wheels.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:18 am

K_Steel wrote:
I think Cavill is horribly Miscast as Superman, and very divisive in the role.

On the positive side, this pretty much seals the deal that DC Films will be no competition (at all) to Marvel Studios in the years to come. WB is spinning it's wheels.

Is it him that's divisive or the storylines he's inserted into? Trusting that he is a capable actor, I think the right script would really put his Man of Steel over the top.

I would have agreed with your "no competition" comment during Marvel phases 1-3. Unfortunately, three out of the last four Marvel films have been a big "meh" IMO.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:44 pm

From what I've seen, the overall opinion of Cavill's casting is one of the few things those movies have gotten right. It's 100% the fault of the shit-tier writing and characterization why DC movies are failing.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:48 pm

Hilarious that WB announces this right after Gunn's Marvel Christmas Special teaser drops:

https://comicbookmovie.com/dc_films/dc- ... an-a197498
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:01 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
K_Steel wrote:
I think Cavill is horribly Miscast as Superman, and very divisive in the role.

Is it him that's divisive or the storylines he's inserted into? Trusting that he is a capable actor, I think the right script would really put his Man of Steel over the top.

I would have agreed with your "no competition" comment during Marvel phases 1-3. Unfortunately, three out of the last four Marvel films have been a big "meh" IMO.
Pretty much, marvel is running on the reputation it built during phases 1-3, but phase 4, ugh. It’s a far cry from the quality that preceded it.

Cavill is a fine actor who has been saddled with some awful scripts. It says a lot about his fit for the role when even after 3 bad outings fans still want him back. The hope for something potentially good is still alive. It’s also telling in MoS that they didn’t know how to write Superman. He didnt talk for what felt like the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Glad cavill is back, hope they don’t waste him.

Side note, Tyler Hoechlin is currently my favorite portrayal of Superman.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:07 pm

sepster wrote:

Hilarious that WB announces this right after Gunn's Marvel Christmas Special teaser drops:

Interesting... it's definitely a big tonal swing away from Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder. Gunn has been able to see up close how the MCU works and is stitched together over multiple phases, so he should be able to pick what he thinks works and likes best from that style and help steer the DCEU to a more consistent set of releases.... maybe.

maverick10126 wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote: I would have agreed with your "no competition" comment during Marvel phases 1-3. Unfortunately, three out of the last four Marvel films have been a big "meh" IMO.
Pretty much, marvel is running on the reputation it built during phases 1-3, but phase 4, ugh. It’s a far cry from the quality that preceded it.
This makes me laugh out loud. Go back and watch Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World and tell me those are all objectively better movies than Eternals, Black Widow, Shang Chi or Dr. Strange. People paper over the set up phase in Wave 1/2 because the payoff ended up being so good with the later films. And it's not that I thought those earlier films were bad - but I also don't feel that the most recent phase of movies are bad. Just different and again, they are establishing characters and haven't had an opportunity to bring them all together, yet. They are working towards it and will get there.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:57 pm

sepster wrote:

Interesting.

Well, I guess we'll have to get used to calling them DC Studios now.

I wish them luck, I really do. I hope they succeed. I love DC and I love their characters (You can probably tell by my avatar) and I want them to make movies as great as Civil War and Endgame. That will force Marvel to up their game and everyone wins. And honestly, I think that's what Feige wants, too.

We shall see.
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:21 pm

From The Hollywood Reporter:

"Gunn will focus on the creative side of things, while Safran will focus on the business and production side. Both are expected to continue to direct and produce projects, respectively. They will report directly to Zaslav and work closely with Warners film bosses De Luca and Pamela Abdy. Sources say the deal runs four years and Gunn will be exclusive to DC. The goal is for them not just to be producers, but to truly function as executives even as Gunn will occasionally hone a movie.

Unlike Marvel Studios, DC has multiple films set in separate creative universes, and according to sources, Joker filmmaker Todd Phillips’ work on the upcoming sequel, which goes into production later this year, will not fall under Gunn and Safran’s purview and instead will be overseen by De Luca and Abdy. Matt Reeves, who worked under Hamada, has a budding universe based on his The Batman movie. It is unclear under whose purview Reeves’ future projects would fall, but everything else moving forward would be under Gunn and Safran’s."

So Joker 2 and probably The Batman 2 will not be DC Studios movies. That's interesting.
sepster wrote:
Hilarious that WB announces this right after Gunn's Marvel Christmas Special teaser drops
That's going to make doing press for Guardians 3 interesting, because you know Gunn is going to get peppered with DC questions.

And SDCC is going to be wild.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:13 am

PantherCult wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:07 pm
sepster wrote:

Interesting... it's definitely a big tonal swing away from Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder. Gunn has been able to see up close how the MCU works and is stitched together over multiple phases, so he should be able to pick what he thinks works and likes best from that style and help steer the DCEU to a more consistent set of releases.... maybe.

maverick10126 wrote:
yojoebro82 wrote: I would have agreed with your "no competition" comment during Marvel phases 1-3. Unfortunately, three out of the last four Marvel films have been a big "meh" IMO.
This makes me laugh out loud. Go back and watch Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 and Thor: Dark World and tell me those are all objectively better movies than Eternals, Black Widow, Shang Chi or Dr. Strange. People paper over the set up phase in Wave 1/2 because the payoff ended up being so good with the later films. And it's not that I thought those earlier films were bad - but I also don't feel that the most recent phase of movies are bad. Just different and again, they are establishing characters and haven't had an opportunity to bring them all together, yet. They are working towards it and will get there.
You make a good point about those movies being just so so. I think the difference is those movies were back when the MCU was still figuring things out to a degree. Missteps and lackluster outings were a little more excusable because they eventually nailed it and it all came together.

But now with phase 4, they have gone back to phase 1 quality as you inferred. But why? They figured it out in phase 2-3 how to do better origin stories, why take a step back? That’s what’s disappointing about phase 4. On the surface they aren’t bad movies (mostly) but we expect them to be better at this point. Maybe it’s unrealistic expectations on my part but I found the whole phase to be underwhelming.

It was one great, two passable, three terrible, and one tbd. I feel like they shouldn’t have a terrible movie in the lineup at this point. At worst the lowest should be passable.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:43 am

We'll have to agree to disagree about any of the Marvel movies being terrible. I do think that Love and Thunder was allowed to lean too hard into the silly and could have benefitted from more restraint, but it wasn't bad. Eternals was a tad dry with a lot of history to exposit, but definitely wasn't bad - my wife says its outright her favorite Marvel movie. Black Widow was fun and good and suffered only from coming out after we already knew Natasha's fate. Shang Chi was great. Spider-Man was fun and did the multiversal cross over really well. And Dr. Strange did a good job of following the multiverse threads sowed in Spider-Man. Phase 4 also included the Disney+ shows, all of which I really liked.

One of the things I like about the MCU and Phase 4 in particular is that the movies don't all have the same tone and get to play a bit with genre. Honestly if comics taught me anything its that the stories suffer when they are all Universe altering stakes and mega universal crossovers all the time. It's exhausting and bad for storytelling. So I'm glad the MCU went back to some more isolated stories that don't all have to connect all the time.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:14 am

yojoebro82 wrote:

Agreed, Phase 4 has been lame, but that was inevitable.

The genre peaked with Infinity War/Endgame.

As bad as Thor 4 and Strange 2 were, at least they were profitable and had good audience turnout.

Black Adam is going to be a flop, sputtering out at 400M WW and not turning a profit for a 200M+ tentpole.

So ultimately, things could have been a lot worse for Marvel Studios.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:19 am

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:44 pm
From what I've seen, the overall opinion of Cavill's casting is one of the few things those movies have gotten right. It's 100% the fault of the shit-tier writing and characterization why DC movies are failing.
I'll say this, Cavill is a wooden actor who can only succeed in playing these cynical, angry characters (MI Fallout, Enola, Witcher). A man of few words, with cold delivery.

However, if there's anyone that could make Cavill work, it's James Gunn.

What he did with Cena in Peacemaker was fantastic. That show had a far more empathetic protagonist than any of the MCU Disney Plus nonsense this year.

Return to “The Multiplex”