Black Widow MCU Movie

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Black Widow MCU Movie

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:11 am

The fact that Wolverine is super short is literally one of his defining characteristics. But I don't think anyone would argue that Hugh's version -isn't anything like- the comic Wolverine because he's missing that characteristic. So I find the arguments against Taskmaster (which really should be in spoiler tags, guys) to be pretty hollow.

Spoiler! :
Shinigami_PL wrote: She wasn't too stupid to overcome the pheromone thing. She literally told Nat how to turn off her sense of smell.
Except she never did it. The movie made it out to be like it didn't even occur to her until Nat already had a whole 'nother plan in place that would depend on being able to attack him and then she's like 'oh yeah, I guess you could if you could SOMEHOW do X.' It's been what... 15-20 years? The only reason she didn't do it herself, within the context of her being so easy to convince to attack Dreykov now, is that she didn't think of it until Nat brought it up. Call it stupidity. Call it a total lack of agency because her character only exists to service Nat's ability to get to the movie's finale. Whatever.
I don't think it ruins the movie. And as I said, I really like the movie a lot. But that one element is definitely a nitpick I had.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 am

I think it may be a fools hope to think we will ever see this "taskmaster" ever again. One because of how the character was "made" and the ending implying they were going to get helped means it's unlikely they would continue doing things as taskmaster.

Also it's implied (at least it seemed so) that
Spoiler! :
the chip in her head that controlled her may also have been the source of her ability to mimic. Drakov never said photographic reflexes just that she's a great mimic. It was very mechanical to me
So I feel like taskmaster is a throw away villain. Like crossbones(ya he was in a couple movies but only one as crossbones)
Reefer Shark
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:11 am
The fact that Wolverine is super short is literally one of his defining characteristics. But I don't think anyone would argue that Hugh's version -isn't anything like- the comic Wolverine because he's missing that characteristic. So I find the arguments against Taskmaster (which really should be in spoiler tags, guys) to be pretty hollow.

Spoiler! :
Shinigami_PL wrote: She wasn't too stupid to overcome the pheromone thing. She literally told Nat how to turn off her sense of smell.
Except she never did it. The movie made it out to be like it didn't even occur to her until Nat already had a whole 'nother plan in place that would depend on being able to attack him and then she's like 'oh yeah, I guess you could if you could SOMEHOW do X.' It's been what... 15-20 years? The only reason she didn't do it herself, within the context of her being so easy to convince to attack Dreykov now, is that she didn't think of it until Nat brought it up. Call it stupidity. Call it a total lack of agency because her character only exists to service Nat's ability to get to the movie's finale. Whatever.
I don't think it ruins the movie. And as I said, I really like the movie a lot. But that one element is definitely a nitpick I had.
The difference here is that Fox Wolverine maintained the personality of the character, a much more important characteristic than his height. I would have liked a shorter and stalkier wolverine for sure, but still enjoyed Hugh’s take on the character quite a bit.

Taskmaster actually does have a personality in the comics. Some fans of the character are dissatisfied with the fact that they ditched that pretty important aspect of the character, at least thats the case with me.

At the end of the day, its not that big of a deal, I enjoyed the movie. But yeah, it would be cool to get the taskmaster we know onscreen. And maybe they will develop this taskmaster into that, who knows!
MCUCompletionist
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:21 am

Spoiler! :
The chip still works fine because it was also being used as a mobility aid because of her injuries,
She stills moves around a bit afterwards.
Taskmaster has a whole big thing where he trains other characters, even with the ending we got there are a whole group of characters in the film who could be trained and redeemed with Taskmaster, along with the fact that it's a very malleable character.
After news of Abomination, Yellow Jacket and other past characters coming back I don't see why Taskmaster wouldn't, especially since they have an ending that actually makes sense to pick back up on.
MCUCompletionist
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 am

Its telling to me atleast that
Spoiler! :
Yelena, Melina, Aleksei, AND Taskmaster all survived that they plan on using them again. When Yelena gets A spin-off I think that could be our Winter Guard. Crimson Dynamo and Ursa Major were name-dropped /appeared too. Iron Maiden, Red Guardian, Taskmaster, Ursa Major and Crimson Dynamo sound like a pretty special lineup.
Another thing I think is Kinda funny is that assuming Yelena keeps in touch with her family in Modern day, a certain friend of hers could be very interested in
Spoiler! :
Taskmaster
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:08 am

Plus, right now there's so much more room for side characters in the MCU thanks to D+.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Lots of cool Easter eggs and comic references. Spoilers at the link: https://screenrant.com/black-widow-east ... s-secrets/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Taskmaster got the Deadpool treatment... 'Deadpool' in X-Men Origins that is.

This is definitely one that's going to be controversial for years to come, like Mandarin.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:27 am

I dunno. Both Trevor and Antonia served the narratives of their films perfectly. Both entertained the hell out of me despite being aware of how much they veered from comic accuracy. Wolverine Origins had a lot of things making it a bad film long before an inaccurate Deadpool showed up.

I really think it's time for comic fans to recognize they won't be getting perfect page to screen adaptations, and that includes characters. Villains in particular are often very different in order to serve the story. As a writer and a film fan, I get their decisions. I guess I really appreciate being able to enjoy these movies anyway.
MCUCompletionist wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 am
Its telling to me atleast that
Spoiler! :
Yelena, Melina, Aleksei, AND Taskmaster all survived that they plan on using them again. When Yelena gets A spin-off I think that could be our Winter Guard. Crimson Dynamo and Ursa Major were name-dropped /appeared too. Iron Maiden, Red Guardian, Taskmaster, Ursa Major and Crimson Dynamo sound like a pretty special lineup.
Another thing I think is Kinda funny is that assuming Yelena keeps in touch with her family in Modern day, a certain friend of hers could be very interested in
Spoiler! :
Taskmaster
I completely concur.
Spoiler! :
I originally thought a Winter Guard led by this Red Guardian would be really fun, especially since he would likely be the leader only in his own mind. But I'd also take a movie with Vanguard leading and Red Guardian spending a lot of time complaining about that.

Either way, that trio have so much potential, so I'm really excited to see where they end up next.

Also, yeah, I assume the same thing with Taskmaster. it's practically a given.
MCUCompletionist
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 am

I will always love the Mandarin twist, people will be upset about Taskmaster until the next film then everyone will say "why didn't they do that in the first place" it's a cycle.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 am

Ru_1977 wrote:
I dunno. Both Trevor and Antonia served the narratives of their films perfectly. Both entertained the hell out of me despite being aware of how much they veered from comic accuracy. Wolverine Origins had a lot of things making it a bad film long before an inaccurate Deadpool showed up.

I really think it's time for comic fans to recognize they won't be getting perfect page to screen adaptations, and that includes characters. Villains in particular are often very different in order to serve the story. As a writer and a film fan, I get their decisions. I guess I really appreciate being able to enjoy these movies anyway.

I totally agree.
ethaldsill
Here comes a new challenger!

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:48 am

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:48 pm
I can see some small issues with things. Taskmaster themself doesn't really get as much focus as I probably would have liked, even though I enjoyed the twist. Tarkov maybe also should have gotten some more moments to himself instead of it being in the final act of the film, even if I also appreciated how utterly hateable they made them in what time we got between him and Natasha. Also some editing stuff was kinda jarring, like the constant camera cuts back and forth between Yelena and Nat during their conversation over drinks being really annoying since it kept pulling me out of the scene itself.

Overall, is this one of those legendary films? Obviously not. Is it still solid? Totally. Could it have been even more solid? Absolutely.
yes, you're right. I think there is fault of cameras and in editing too. Don't know have low budget for movie but editing software are available for there but they did wrong.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Spoilers:
I don't know much about Iron Maiden, but would that character have served as a better master villain/foil for and to Natasha than Taskmaster?

I get that Nat's a bit of a copycat so the matching fighting style thing was interesting (when visible - thanks dark bridge!), but really wasn't a big enough part. Also, I get that this is a movie about human trafficking. But I wish Melina had been the villain - or she had a Dreykov mask and he's been dead for years and she's been playing him because it's fun.

The floating ship in the sky that controls all power on the planet? Ugh. That was the most Marvel-ous thing in this movie that was too much, including JLD in the tag. It was too much of an unnecessary overreach - human trafficking is horror enough and it continues to exist because it hides so well. I really liked the "on the ground" parts of this movie. I also like that Melina took a shot to take everything down without much hesitation. But it didn't come together in a fulfilling way.

Also, I could have used more Natasha. I know that sounds weird, but she got kinda lost in the finale and I wanted more of just her.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:

To each their own honestly, but for me the issue with taskmaster wasn't so much that they made changes from the comic, but rather that it wasn't a character, it was essentially a robot. The combat was cool, and the action was neat, but there was no character there, it was just a machine, not literally but figuratively and that to me was boring. I'd rather have seen a character who had a personality, and a real purpose, not a toy who was being remote controlled. I'd like to see a taskmaster that can be built and developed because they have a personality, a backstory, a purpose, and a path.

This version had nothing, they were a (maybe) normal person who got hurt, turned into a human weapon, and was aimed and fired like a missile at the heroes a few times throughout the movie, and otherwise served no purpose besides being a weapon wielded by the fat sad bad guy.

I think a path to future appearances of this taskmaster is pretty sketchy, they fix them and then.... what? They decide to utilize their skills to be a mercenary, are they even skills they possess or were they implanted with the chip? Nothings clarified and its vague at best because the character was boiled down to such an almost pointlessly simple version of the original. Its a costume, a body, and they can fight like other people. They didn't get any depth, or personality, or real story because they were just a tool for the bad guy and a "ghost" for nat, that neither had any real moment of connection to her, or any real redemption other than having the switch turned off...

SO to me personally, this was a waste of a character, that i don't see coming back. If they do, it'll likely be very different or honestly just a different person and they'll just change things to make things work better as they've done with every previous "poorly" done villain ala mandarin/trevor.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:29 pm

That's all perfectly valid, but this wasn't Taskmaster's movie. A lot of supporting characters had depth, but ultimately every single one of them is there to serve Natasha's story. Taskmaster was never the ultimate opponent but rather an obstacle serving the ultimate opponent. I agree, very much a robot but for me that was what made the villain kinda cool. A less developed Winter Soldier, but also less human and even more unstoppable. For the movie, it worked, and that was all I needed for those two hours. You're right, Taskmaster was a weapon and as far as this plot was concerned, nothing more was needed.

Some characters get one window into who they are, like JLD's midwest line. Even without the benefit of F&WS, that line would have clued me in to who she is as a person. Taskmaster's one line of dialogue told me everything about who they are as far as what I needed to know for this particular story. I don't need this movie to do a lot of lifting for other stories, that's on them. But I'll be completely unsurprised if this Taskmaster shows up in something else with a new suit and gets more fleshed out. In this movie though, yeah, Taskmaster is basically Darth Maul.

Return to “The Multiplex”