Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 pm

That feels like a story the comic book version of Del Preston from Wayne's World 2 would tell.

Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Road to Perdition, Oldboy, From Hell, and A History of Violence were all pretty well received films I imagine most of their audiences had no idea were based on comics.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:07 pm

fac wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm
I think you could watch Blade or Punisher and never know the source material was a comic book, just some fun Vampire/Horror and Vigilante style films, so their success (or failure) was not going to impact the opinion about super-hero films the way X-Men and Rami Spider-Man and later Nolan Batman did.
To theatergoers, sure; but the success of Blade absolutely had an impact in the greenlighting of both SpiderMan and Xmen. The success of superhero movies that treated the characters much as they were in the comics to movie-making executives absolutely rests on Blade's shoulders.

Blade II is easily the best of his series, and still stands better than any non-Nolan DC movie this century.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:37 pm

Blade was 25th in US Box Office in 1998. X-Men and Spidey finished 6th and 1st in 2000 and 2002 respectively - Spidey in a year that had a Star Wars sequel, a Harry Potter sequel, a Lord of the Rings sequel, a Bond film, the Men in Black sequel. X-Men hit a home run that made super-hero movies that weren't campy, or that people were embarrassed to say they saw, a thing again, and Spider-Man then hit a grand-slam that had every studio wanting a superhero franchise.

That's not a knock on Blade to say that X-Men and Spidey changed the comic book movie game - Blade was a success, especially for an R-rated film about a not that well known character, but I think the idea that X-Men or Spidey aren't greenlit without Blade when both were in development before Blade came out is a stretch (Singer was signed on for X-Men in 1996, Cameron was developing his big-budget Spidey script in the mid-90's as well).
SDcomics
Smilies are my weapon of choice

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:51 pm

The Marvel panel at the D23 expo is coming up. Three weeks from Saturday.

https://d23.com/marvel-makes-an-epic-re ... -d23-expo/

I'm not sure how long the panel is going to be. But I know that Marvel likes to make big announcements in front of a large audience. So I expect we'll hear stuff.

And of course, I have the prerequisite wish list.

1) A Release Date For Secret Invasion

A release date and maybe a trailer? This is supposed to be the next series after She-Hulk, right?

2) A Title For The Untitled Halloween Special

And a synopsis? And maybe a trailer? This is supposed to be out in less than two months.

3) A New Trailer For Wakanda Forever

Let's wrap up Phase Four with a bang, kids.

4) A Trailer For Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania

Really looking forward to this one. I want to see Kang in costume.

5) A Trailer For Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3

If not a trailer, maybe some footage that everyone who was NOT at Hall H can see

6) The Cast From The Marvels

A synopsis would be nice, and how does it tie into Secret Invasion, if at all? Will Starfox or any of the Eternals appear?

7) Is The Red Skull REALLY Gonna Be The Big Bad In Captain America: New World Order?

Well? Is he?

8 ) Is Dracula REALLY Gonna Be The Big Bad in Blade?

Well? Is he? And what about the Black Knight?

9) Who Is Going To Be In The Thunderbolts?

The suspense is killing me. USAgent? Ghost? Yelena? Zemo? Abomination? Taksmaster?

10) Echo

They haven't wrapped filming yet, so probably too soon for a trailer that Marvel can share with the world, but how about a detailed plot synopsis?

11) Daredevil: Born Again. Why 18 Episodes?

Don't get me wrong. I'm over the moon about 18 episodes. I can't wait. But why that many? Will the other long lost lost Netflix characters appear? Will there be a Defenders reunion?

12) Fantastic Four: Are We Any Closer To Getting A Director?

Well? Are we?

13) I Keep Hearing Something About Deadpool 3

We getting any closer to that?

14) Some Big Surprise Announcement

Something unexpected. World War Hulk? The Squadron Supreme? The Invaders? An Atlantis Attacks series on Disney +? I dunno.

So we'll see. I think it's too soon to talk about the X-Men, as much as I'd like to see it happen. Also too soon to delve much into Phase Six. Still looking forward to this panel, though.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:40 pm

fac wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:37 pm
Blade was 25th in US Box Office in 1998. X-Men and Spidey finished 6th and 1st in 2000 and 2002 respectively - Spidey in a year that had a Star Wars sequel, a Harry Potter sequel, a Lord of the Rings sequel, a Bond film, the Men in Black sequel. X-Men hit a home run that made super-hero movies that weren't campy, or that people were embarrassed to say they saw, a thing again, and Spider-Man then hit a grand-slam that had every studio wanting a superhero franchise.

That's not a knock on Blade to say that X-Men and Spidey changed the comic book movie game - Blade was a success, especially for an R-rated film about a not that well known character, but I think the idea that X-Men or Spidey aren't greenlit without Blade when both were in development before Blade came out is a stretch (Singer was signed on for X-Men in 1996, Cameron was developing his big-budget Spidey script in the mid-90's as well).
'In development' is pretty much content-less as far as actual information goes. All it really means is that the movie company had bought the character rights by that point.
SDcomics

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:59 pm

No Secret Invasion?

P.S. Take the above tweet with an entire ocean of salt.
SDcomics

Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:42 pm

I don't see Marvel announcing the cast for The Fantastic Four just yet. Maybe early next year. Usually the way it works with them is they hire the writers and hammer out the script and then they get a director. This way the writers and director are involved in the casting process. I know that there have been exceptions to that. They cast Mahershala Ali as Blade long before they picked writers and a director, for example. But I don't think that's going to be the case here.

I can see them announcing a director for FF, though. The release date is just over two years out. They should be going into pre-production soon so they need to get on the stick. We need writers and a director, Marvel.

Phase Five is pretty well locked in except for an open date on February 16th, 2024. I'm still gonna bet the farm that is reserved for Spider-Man 4.

Phase Six, on the other hand, is pretty much wide open. We have the Fantastic Four and two Avengers movies. The rest is fill in the blanks.

Wonder Man and Nova are entirely possible. World War Hulk rumors are going into overdrive. I cannot shake the feeling that Feige and company are going to do something with Ghost Rider soon. Shang-Chi 2 is a certainty. So is Deadpool 3. Are we ever going to see Armor Wars? Eternals 2 is NOT that big a question mark, I believe it will happen. I don't think we'll see Doctor Strange 3 in Phase Six, but I've been wrong before. A Namor movie would be cool.

Phases 7,8 and 9: The Apocalypse Saga?
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:55 pm

Given popular actors scheduling, I would think they might have the core actors signed already for FF?

I agree normally they wait for the director (and for all we know there has been a director attached and some casting done), but in the MCU the actors end up working with a half-dozen directors, so I wonder about the casting process for the big names given that casting will go beyond the initial movie. (As examples, who cast Bozeman and Holland, both of whom appeared in Civil War before their own films? The Russo Bros, or Coogler and Watts? Or Feige?)
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:03 am

Ghost Rider seems like a Disney+ option at this point.

I feel like Dr Strange 3 has to be part of Phase 6, given the end credits scene - not sure you could do a multiverse collision storyline without him. Of any film that may be placed between the two Avengers films, it could be his.

I wonder about Eternals getting another film - or if their next adventure gets folded into something else, like the next iteration of the Guardians, or FF 2, or wherever they decide to go with the Cosmic stuff. They have so many options for films and characters to focus on, I feel like they can abandon any franchise that didn't produce as expected, and I suspect that about Eternals.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:05 am

Ghost Rider could really be a Supernatural/Buffy style show of monster of the week. Though I’d want an 8-10 episode season for that.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:38 am

fac wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:03 am
I feel like Dr Strange 3 has to be part of Phase 6, given the end credits scene - not sure you could do a multiverse collision storyline without him. Of any film that may be placed between the two Avengers films, it could be his.
Unless, just throwing stuff out there, the pay off for that credit scene IS Avengers 5. Maybe the next time you see Clea and Strange is there.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:54 pm

Internet rumor for FF:
Spoiler! :
Matt Shakman may be directing the FF movie. He directed WandaVision and has also done some Always Sunny, among other things.

But I'd be thrilled if he brings Glenn Howerton along as prime Reed.
AdrienVeidt

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:19 pm

Just cast the Gang as the Fam, Dee as Sue, Glenn as Reed, Charlie as Franklin, Devito as Ben and Mac as Doom due to how Doom secretly worships Reed. Cricket can set himself on fire with a crack pipe to be Johnny.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:08 pm

I mean... It sounds like a joke but I could see them pulling it off. It won't happen because having that entire cast would be too distracting, like if they filled the family out with more people from The Office. But if they did do it, I trust they're all decent enough performers to stretch well beyond the roles they're known for.

But just having Howerton would be enough for me. I honestly feel he would be an amazing Reed. I also am fine skipping past the origin and even have them be parents already.

Return to “The Multiplex”