Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm

I caught The Devil's Rock on Prime and enjoyed it a decent bit more than it probably deserves from an objective view. But I like 'Nazis screwing with super-science and sorcery to their detriment' tales and this one certainly qualifies. There were references to other such movies that gave me a cheap thrill since I like trying to combine all my favorite stuff into one universe.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 pm

Got to watch The Last Duel the other night and I have many thoughts.

Ultimately, it's a Ridley Scott historical drama, with all that entails. While it's gotten a lot of hate in certain circles for the stupid helmets (and my [email protected]#$ word are they stupid), the fact is that a lot of the costuming and accoutrements are pretty good. Not perfect, mind. Anyone with a decent understanding of the period can pick apart almost every scene for little things that aren't accurate - like hair styles, or types of footwear, etc. But it's doing a reasonable job looking relatively correct to the period. And that's Ridley Scott. All of his historical movies are like this -- a lot of 'somewhat accurate' with a few really puzzling or terrible 'why did you do this?' choices thrown in.
I will die on the hill that Kingdom of Heaven did not need longswords just because 'they look better on screen.' Stupid. But anyway....

The acting is ..actually way better than I expected from Damon (Driver and Comer were excellent, but I expected that much). Somehow it had also completely escaped me that this was a 'Matt Damon and Ben Affleck' movie -- and their charisma on screen is always a bonus. In fact, this may be one of Ben Affleck's best roles ever. I don't know why I liked him so much here, as I'm generally not even a big fan of him.

As for the plot -- well, it is loosely based on a true story. Moreover, it's important to keep in mind that it's a true story centered entirely on a rape. Which means it's hard to watch. Especially because of how it's presented, and this is probably what makes the movie SO interesting to me; we get the same parts of the film shown to us from different perspectives. The subtle, and sometimes very not subtle, differences in each character's perception or narrative is handled so well and really keeps you engrossed. Unfortunately, this means you basically watch a rape scene three different times and it's... difficult. Kudos to Driver and Comer on this because that couldn't have been easy to put to film.

Honestly, I KNEW how this story ended before I watched the movie, because I know the history. But even I was tense when we finally get to the duel. In fact, I'd say it was surprising to me just how invested Scott managed to get me on this.

The duel itself is good, too. As are the little bits of battle we see elsewhere in the film. There's some fairly realistic stuff in here, despite the absolutely ridonkulously stupid helmet visors they wear for all of ten seconds.

My biggest complaint is the [email protected]#$ filter. I get it.. it's the medieval period. But the gray-blue or whatever filter is just like hammering you over the head with 'it's MEDIEVAL!' and I hate it. Worse, it dulls down what color actually makes it into the movie. Sure, part of that is probably less about the actual colors and more about setting a mood (intentionally making things gray drab), but it bothers me nonetheless.

So yeah. I'd recommend it if you're into shit like this. But it's definitely not going to convert anyone that hates historical dramas because it is VERY much a historical drama (long and without lots of action).
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Nightmare Alley - Up to GDT's usual standard, but is a very slow burn--and at 2 1/2 hrs might be a bit much for some. I was enthralled and didn't want to leave the theater even though I had to pee for the last 45 min or so. :oops:

Very dark still, but not a horror film per se. It's a pretty simple film. I've never seen the original (or read the novel), but now I want to to see the contrasts in both versions. Cast is (not surprisingly) phenomenal. I didn't even recognize Strathairn. Trying to figure the last time I saw him, because I don't remember him looking so ancient. I'll use spoiler tags because I don't want to plant this into anyone's head before they see the film, but I kept think of
Spoiler! :
Michael Rooker
every time Dafoe talked because of his accent and voice. :lol: Not saying it was bad, he did great, but that's how my mind works.

I really enjoyed it and think I'll like it even more with a 2nd viewing.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:45 am

Mr potatohead wrote:
Nightmare Alley - Up to GDT's usual standard, but is a very slow burn--and at 2 1/2 hrs might be a bit much for some. I was enthralled and didn't want to leave the theater even though I had to pee for the last 45 min or so. :oops:

Very dark still, but not a horror film per se. It's a pretty simple film. I've never seen the original (or read the novel), but now I want to to see the contrasts in both versions. Cast is (not surprisingly) phenomenal. I didn't even recognize Strathairn. Trying to figure the last time I saw him, because I don't remember him looking so ancient. I'll use spoiler tags because I don't want to plant this into anyone's head before they see the film, but I kept think of
Spoiler! :
Michael Rooker
every time Dafoe talked because of his accent and voice. :lol: Not saying it was bad, he did great, but that's how my mind works.

whats the storyline?
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:48 am

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Batman Returns, Gremlins.

Christmas classics.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:59 pm

8 Bit Christmas

I watch A Christmas Story every year. It is a must.
This film may just get added to Die Hard and A Christmas Story and Charlie Brown as a must for Christmas.

Very interesting and the kids do draw you in. The adults are pretty much cartoons but they are more genuine by films end. It does not apologize about being a Christmas Story style movie but it doesn’t just copy it. It has its own message.

I liked it.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KnightDamien

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:09 am

I really enjoyed The Harder They Fall. I did find the modern music distracting, but I'm more than willing to admit that I also thought the music [email protected]#$ sucked and that may have played into my reaction to it being in the film. There were a couple turns of phrase and things that took me a bit out of the film as well -- as it played fairly straight-laced as a modern 'classic western.' But having a guy refer to himself as a '[email protected]#$' feels very modern and I'm fairly certain that was not an expression of being a badass back then.
If it were a goofy modern blend kind of movie where it doesn't even try to feel historical, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But the movie actually does a good job at just being a western so stuff like that really stands out, in my opinion.

And I kind of did not see the big reveal coming.
Spoiler! :
I fully expected that we'd find out Love's dad used to be a gang member and was shot by a fellow member of the gang for having the temerity to leave and start a new life -- or something like that. The whole 'we're brothers and dad was a [email protected]#$ #%!^' thing took me by surprise. But I dug it.
Ultimately, I know it isn't perfect, but I got everything I could really want from a western out of it, and had a fun time watching it.

I also re-watched Silverado, since I was already hanging out on Netflix and in a western mood. Still as great as the other five times I've seen it.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:12 am

I watched Don't Look Up. Probably the best and most well done movie I've ever hated.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:50 am

yojoebro82 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:48 am
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Batman Returns, Gremlins.

Christmas classics.
You neglect to show your gratitude to Ernest for Saving Christmas?!?!
Junkpile
one man's trash...

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:36 pm

Don't Look Up - I hated this. I didn't hate it the way I was supposed to. I just didn't enjoy it and thought the 'message'/satire were muddied by a bad script. Also, I think what they were trying to say with this film was worthwhile, but I can't help but be annoyed that the people trying to send us this message are also DAILY contributing to the dumbing down of all our discourse by shilling their latest projects on 'Live!', 'The View', 'The Chew' and all the other lame info-tainment or news-tainment shows.

Matrix: Resurrections - Didn't like this one. I think it was smarter than something like 'The Last Jedi', but it still didn't offer anything I enjoyed. I'm confident I'll never watch it again, but I'm not upset by that. If other people enjoy it, that's cool with me.
KnightDamien

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:44 pm

Junkpile wrote:
Don't Look Up - I hated this. I didn't hate it the way I was supposed to. I just didn't enjoy it and thought the 'message'/satire were muddied by a bad script. Also, I think what they were trying to say with this film was worthwhile, but I can't help but be annoyed that the people trying to send us this message are also DAILY contributing to the dumbing down of all our discourse by shilling their latest projects on 'Live!', 'The View', 'The Chew' and all the other lame info-tainment or news-tainment shows.
"We should make a movie about how no one is listening to climate change and pandemic science!" say a bunch of wealthy actors before getting on separate private jets so they can go congregate on a packed movie set.
Junkpile
one man's trash...

Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:01 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:44 pm
Junkpile wrote:
"We should make a movie about how no one is listening to climate change and pandemic science!" say a bunch of wealthy actors before getting on separate private jets so they can go congregate on a packed movie set.
Yup. That also bothers me mightily. I just don't like that pointing out that hypocrisy usually leads to 'so you can't trust anything Hollyweird says' BS. The movie is pretty on-point, it's just a shitty vehicle full of shitty spokespeople (no matter how much I like Cate Blanchett's work).
Mr potatohead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:34 pm

Night Wolf wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:45 am
Mr potatohead wrote:

Spoiler! :
Michael Rooker

whats the storyline?
Sorry, haven't been near a computer since my 1st post.
From IMDB:
"An ambitious carny (Cooper) with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist (Blanchett) who is even more dangerous than he is."
The 1st half or so takes place in the carnival and he meets the head-shrink when he moves to the city in the 2nd half. There are a lot of great characters encircling the above mentioned.

I was lucky enough to catch the original on tv last week. I really enjoyed the 1st 2/3 for it's time and was surprised how true GDT's version is--then it started slipping and the ending was garbage melodrama. I could see why GDT wanted to remake it to make a satisfying complete film. All of GDT's additions and changes make the film far superior. Of course, I'm not taking anything (other than the very ending) away from the original as it was a product of it's time. Now I wonder how the novel is...
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:30 pm

Caught I Care a Lot on NF, with Rosamund Pike and Peter Dinklage. I'm impressed by the movie but am not sure Pike got the resolution she deserved; and without that I'm not sure what moral point the director is trying to make.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:22 am

I watched a little anime movie called On-Gaku: Our Sound tonight. A friend brought it over, and I quite enjoyed it. Very subdued and deadpan comedy, with an art style that is extremely simplified. It helps to break you away from the sometimes overpowering aesthetics of anime and allows the quiet deliberation of the characters to resonate more. Then, it builds up into crescendos of visual hyper activity and gives a great accent to the exploration of music. There's some really great uses of what I presume to be rotoscoping (though it could very well be a digital filter over footage with computer assisted face placement) that will be very enticing for hard core anime fans and animation junkies in general. Highly recommended.

Return to “The Multiplex”