Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last movie you watched" thread

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:34 am

The Dissident

this flick is a documentary and it is excellent. it goes into very good details. kinda like a detective show. its the true story about the Journalist Jamal Khashoggi when he went to the Saudi consulate in Turkey and never came out. the saudi prince got away with murder, crazy gruesome true story. you will be left with your mouth open in disbelief. when you control 80% of the worlds petroleum, you can get away with anything and do it in front of the world and dont care, smh. i recommend it.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Junkpile wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:06 am
Malignant on HBO Max
Spoiler! :
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a piece of shit!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was a better story when Homer and Marge locked Hugo in the attic.
Eh, it's a horror movie that delivered what it promised. I was thinking how to make a custom.

I finally caught Trick 'r Treat on HBO last night, after seeing the li'l kid 'Scarecrow' and such for a few years now. I don't remember seeing *any* promotion for it when it was apparently released in 2008, and all the heavily-nostalgic talk I'd see about it made me think it was a lost classic from the 80s. I was pleased to see a lot of known actors in it (Thurman Murman!) and very much enjoyed the 'Creepshow' vibes of it.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Late to this one, but I just watched Willy's Wonderland on Netflix. Boy, that was a [email protected]#$' trip. And I don't even know what else to say about it. I had fun watching it, and I understand the artistic choice of leaving a lot up to your imagination, but I also would have appreciated at least some hints to get the mind speculating rather than a fat load of nothing. BUT, I still liked it? I think?
Nic Cage is a force of nature, I think is what I'm saying.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 pm

I caught HBO's News of the World and Prime's The Courier this wknd; both really excellent flicks. My only issue with NotW is how I'm getting tired of seeing ex-Confederates being 'rehabilitated' in Westerns.
KnightDamien

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
I caught HBO's News of the World and Prime's The Courier this wknd; both really excellent flicks. My only issue with NotW is how I'm getting tired of seeing ex-Confederates being 'rehabilitated' in Westerns.
I haven't had a chance to watch News yet, so I didn't know they went that route. Definitely a bit disappointing.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 pm
AdrienVeidt wrote:
I haven't had a chance to watch News yet, so I didn't know they went that route. Definitely a bit disappointing.
It's not a huge issue for the movie; just something I've been noticing about Westerns for a long while now. As it all occurs in Texas during Grant's Administration, there are a lot of ex-Confederates here being the exact sort of dogshit they should be depicted as; just not Hanks. If it's coloring your anticipation of the movie I apologize for mentioning, it really is a quite good movie all around and Hanks doesn't play a racist of any discernable sort I can see.
KnightDamien

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:29 am

AdrienVeidt wrote: It's not a huge issue for the movie; just something I've been noticing about Westerns for a long while now. As it all occurs in Texas during Grant's Administration, there are a lot of ex-Confederates here being the exact sort of dogshit they should be depicted as; just not Hanks. If it's coloring your anticipation of the movie I apologize for mentioning, it really is a quite good movie all around and Hanks doesn't play a racist of any discernable sort I can see.
Oh, no worries. It won't ruin the movie for me or make me not want to watch it. Nothing like that. I am, after all, a huge Jonah Hex AND Hell on Wheels fan. I've learned to live with the 'reformed Confederate' type. I just think it's a little disappointing that yet another good western felt the need to go that way.
Yo.
Avengers Assemble

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Watched Dune with a childhood friend yesterday.

No spoilers.

What an incredible journey, I'm unfamiliar with the source material but I believe Denis Villeneuve was able to represent the world similar to how Peter Jackson handled LOTR.

The world building alone leaves you satisfied & immersed in the characters & their journey.

The movie doesn't have a lull moment but it does drag a bit with some of the metaphors & symbolism.

There's a lot of understandable exposition at the beginning but it's done in a subtle way that matches the pace of the political struggle as the events are escalating.

It's one of those films that you have to experience in the movie theatre.

Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is haunting.

I really hope the sequel is announced soon because this has the potential to be one of the most memorable movie franchises like Star Wars & LOTR.

It's a long film so don't drink a lot of water before going to see it.
AdrienVeidt

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Caught I'm Thinking of Ending Things and I don't think I 'got' it. I've liked all the Kaufman stuff I've seen going back to Being John Malkovich but this one never gelled together for me.

Also caught a pretty limp version of Frankenstein with Parker Posey and Adam Goldberg that was trying to set up a universe where the Dr is creating his own society of next-level people here in the modern day but it just didn't work very well. Some decent ideas at play but it's ultimately too much build-up with no real pay-off.
AdrienVeidt

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:46 pm

After seeing it would be leaving HBO tmrw I caught ye olde George Pal 60s Time Machine for about the tenth time overall last night. It changes a lot from the book but still succeeds better as a movie than the Guy Pearce version in several ways, although I like a few things about Guy's version more (his wife being his motivation, the Machine's design, the destroyed Moon, and Orlando Jones is always a treat even though he's very understated in it). I liked how the implication that the Morlocks 'farmed' the Eloi to be sheep was stronger in the Pal version, especially with how they were in a daze responding to the clarion horn calling them to the Morlock bunker.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Finally caught Aronofsky's Noah last night and largely enjoyed it. I dunno about the bit where the fallen angels were let back up to Heaven and having Nick Nolte voice one of them was a bit on Absorbing Man's nose. I'd really like to see the Epic of Gilgamesh get a similar treatment.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Started my semi-annual Halloween marathon this week. 31 horror movies in 31 days.

Day 1 - The Hitcher (1986)
This one is phenomenal. Starts with a bang and never lets up. It's an hour and a half of increasingly absurd cat-and-mouse terror. Rutger Hauer is predictably awesome as the chilling and sadistic titular hitchhiker. The movie starts with all of five minutes of backstory before deciding "[email protected]#$ it, let's skip to the good stuff." Every time you think the movie is taking a moment to let you catch your breath, it escalates things, instead. For sure, it's not a movie that survives any kind of serious scrutiny, but it doesn't need to because it keeps its foot on the accelerator, so you never really have a chance to think "wait, how would that even work? How would the hitchhiker have done that?" It's ridiculous and over the top, but it succeeds wildly in what it sets out to do. I give it four out of five stars.

Day 2 - The Visit
I feel like it’s important to note that this movie seems to have been very well received; there’s a TON of praise for it online. It’s heralded as M. Night Shyamalan’s return to form. There’s a lot of talk about how scary it is, and how it had people on the edge of their seat. The thing you need to know about those people is that they’re all dirty liars.

This movie is *bad*. Like… really, really, REALLY bad. When you think of a bad M. Night movie, this movie should be very near the top of the very long list of bad M. Night movies. Spoilers ahead in the FRAT:
Warning! FRAT! :
With only four characters through most of the movie, you'd think special care would be given to make sure they have good material to work with. Instead, the children have the kind of characterization and lines that a wildly unhip, mild-aged hack with little to no experience with actual human kids somehow thinks kids must be like. If you can picture Steve Buscemi’s “Hello fellow kids” meme, that's closer to real children than these kids. Neither of them talks or acts remotely like tweens/teens do. There's an absurd moment when they’re pretending to “play,” and it involves one of them throwing a tennis ball straight up into the air, and spinning in a circle, presumably trying to catch it? Repeatedly. Is M. Night under the impression that children are dogs? What is that?

It should shock pretty much zero people to learn that the grandparents are not, in fact, the grandparents, but are actually imposters who have escaped from a mental institute, a fact that becomes obvious far too early in the movie. Even if the repeated mentions of a mental hospital and the frequent mentions that their grandparents have stopped doing the things that are important to them didn't make it clear, the increasingly unhinged actions of the grandparents does. It seems like M. Night is trying to play with the space of “are they crazy/weird/monsters or are they just old people who have habits/health problems that seem unsettling to their young grandkids,” but it doesn’t work when you have the grandparents walking around half undressed, literally scratching on the walls or crawling around on all fours by the second night of a week-long trip. That's pretty far beyond "maybe they're just getting old" and into "nope, something is seriously, seriously wrong, here."

And even by the generally very weak standards of the “crazy person” horror trope, this is egregiously bad. The grandparents have wildly inconsistent mental health problems going on, and there’s a kind of “throw it all at the wall and see what sticks” approach to it. There’s zero attempt to have either of them sticking to a consistent “problem.” Sometimes they’re suicidal. Sometimes they’re paranoid. Sometimes they’re homicidal. Sometimes they’re delusional. Sometimes they seem like maybe they have Alzheimer's or dementia. Sometimes they’re crawling around on all fours, naked, scratching at the walls. Sometimes they’re vomiting uncontrollably for no particular reason. It's like every bad "crazy person" horror cliche from the last hundred years crammed into two old people's bodies.

There’s also a sense that the movie is trying to pretend to be deeper than it really is. In a movie about fake grandparents who are secretly escaped lunatics, the decision to have both of the grandchildren *also* suffering from mental health problems (attributed, explicitly, to the fact that their father left their mother) is too cute by half. The grandparents are crazy! The grandkids are crazy, too! Get it?! Worse, there's no reason or payoff for it. It's just... they're crazy because their dad sucked, I guess?

The movie is filmed with a “found footage” style (the older sibling wants to be a documentary maker, see?) that is every bit as clunky and mood breaking as you’d think it would be, since it results in too many scenes where you can’t help but think “why are they still filming this?” If this were somehow at the forefront of the "found footage" style, that might be more forgiveable, but this came out in 2015, *long* after those limitations had been recognized and other filmmakers had started to find ways around them.

The movie is FILLED with other suspension of disbelief-breaking moments. No amount of “we’re old and old people are weird” is enough to make two genre-savy kids *not* be hyper-concerned when their grandmother is skulking around the house at night, naked, scratching at the walls. At one point, the kids have become 100% convinced (rightly!) that their grandparents are really, really, really unwell, but they don’t call for help? When someone who knows their grandparents stops for a visit, they don’t think to go outside and join the conversation or mention “Yeah, so, my grandmother tried to shut me in an oven and we’ve seen her creeping around at night, and we’re kind of scared, can you take us for help?” Multiple visitors stop by over the course of the week to check on the grandparents, but none of them can be bothered to stay and wait for them to return from a walk? At one point, they KILL someone and hang them from a tree in the front yard, but the kids don’t notice for hours? Even when they finally realize that they're not actually their grandparents and help is on the way, they deliberately split up and put themselves into incredibly dangerous situations? It’s all just so incredibly *dumb*, and it repeatedly breaks any tension the movie builds up.

Worse is the fact that there are multiple times where you can see how the movie might have easily been better. There’s a suspenseful scene, fairly early in the movie, where the kids are playing hide and seek under the house, the way their mother used to, and they’re frightened by the grandmother chasing them, unexpectedly. It’s genuinely creepy! They escape from under the house, unsure of what happened or what was chasing them. Ghost? Monster? No, just grandma! She comes out from under the house, laughing and saying what fun that was. For just a moment, it really worked; what was that all about? Was she just joining in the fun that her and her daughter used to have, after all? Maybe? But then, her laughter and her body language veer way over into “that’s [email protected]#$ weird” territory, and she turns to walk away and we see that she’s half undressed with her ass hanging out, and it’s clear “No, that was not normal. That was [email protected]#$ weird” and the moment is completely ruined.

I’m genuinely confused by the praise this stupid movie received. I feel cheated. Did I somehow pick up the wrong movie? Did M. Night Shyamalan make two movies called “The Visit” and I just happened to pick up the one that’s a steaming pile of shit? Who can say, but I consider this a lesson learned. No more M. Night movies for this guy.
I give this dirty diaper of a movie zero stars.
KnightDamien

Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:11 pm

Free Guy was an excellent movie, I don't care what anyone says. Hilarious and stupid in great ways. Definitely the kind of movie where you need to just not care about plotholes and stuff, because it really shouldn't matter. It's consistent -enough- to be fun to watch. And the cameo near the end is just a fantastic moment. Loved it.

Also watched Hobbs & Shaw. I mean... I ... I don't know what I think of it. I haven't followed this bonkers franchise since the third movie when it was still about racing and the tuner mafia. If you hadn't TOLD me that this movie is the same franchise as those movies, I would have no idea. Was it hilarious and fun to watch? It actually was. Was it one of the stupidest things I've ever seen? Also yes.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:02 pm

I saw most of Free Guy. Dumb and fun, definitely.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:47 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:50 pm
Caught I'm Thinking of Ending Things and I don't think I 'got' it. I've liked all the Kaufman stuff I've seen going back to Being John Malkovich but this one never gelled together for me.
Yeah i watched it when it was 1st released and hated it despite liking most of Kaufman's stuff (still haven't seen Synecdoche tho). The actors playing the parents were amazing, that's pretty much the best i can say about it.

Return to “The Multiplex”