The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special 11/25/22

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special 11/25/22

Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:39 am

That tiny scene went over my head. I couldn’t understand why Mantis would be growling at a Danvers cosplayer. JPC’s take makes the most sense.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:39 pm

As experienced film makers/ editors they surely know the vitriol that Captain Marvel has endured and continues to. Why use a cut where it could reasonably be seen to perpetuate that?

It's unnecessary. The inclusion at all is odd. There is bound to be other snippets of Mantis and Drax with other "Avengers" they could have used instead.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:57 pm

Figuring out 'Steve' isn't the real Cap would have been plenty. I don't expect Drax to pick up on it at all since he couldn't discern any difference between Quill and Yondu (but, he also won't wear shirts because of his sensitive nipples, but apparently has figured a way around that since Tony Stark's funeral). But having a quick scene of someone explaining the guy they saw at the Chinese theater isn't the 'real' Steve, and even add a quick line about 'actors', then any negative reaction from Mantis and Drax about that could have been dismissed as about someone pretending to be their comrade. It either could have been paid off later by their hatred for Kevin Bacon when they figure out he's just as bad as the people in front of the theater, or that's when you figure out that, no, they've simply ALWAYS hated actors and that's why they got so angry at the theater. And that's kinda backed up by Nebula's harsh indictment toward the end.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:42 pm

As a Gobot fan, I found Drax's irrational pummeling of Cy-Kill to be blatant Gobogyny.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:37 pm

Gobots definitely suffer a lot of abuse.
Popoman
CROM?

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:54 pm

please put any gobot discussion in a spoiler tag, thank you
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:16 pm

GoBots confirmed.

Really liked this. Especially liked the ending moment between Peter and Mantis.
Spoiler! :
Him learning about his relation to Mantis really would be the best present he could ask for; He's basically got a blood relative again after losing his mom and killing Ego.
Andron X
I come from the land up over

Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:28 am

I just don't agree with the misogyny angle.
Drax does talk shit about Peter all the time.. He calls him pathetic and fat.
The men suffer abuse and humiliation in these films constantly.
But when he throws Mantis over a wall when she's not ready, it's a misogynistic joke.
It reminds me of when people were complaining about Mystique being choked by Apocolypse promoting violence against women.

You can have women in your superhero films, as long as they don't get hurt, or are the butt of the joke in any way.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:03 pm

It's not just about misogyny in the films, it's the misogyny in the fanbase. Nerdlord's are already spouting "M She U" in response to a growth in the female cast. The women of the MCU are under such scrutiny already, ofcourse they will be careful not to include things that may vindicate the hateful mob.

And the Mystique thing is completely understandable, they were promoting the film using a frame of her getting choked out on a massive billboard. They needed to have some self reflection on what message that puts out, as Jennifer Lawrence was already under fire for her portrayal of Mystique. It seemed like marketing to placate or indulge a ridiculous breed of "fans".

Men's rights activism, hah!
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:50 pm

The X-Men Apocalypse thing was one thing, that was just a bit of poorly thought-out promotion.

Mantis getting thrown over the fence is literally just slapstick. She and Drax are the two members of this version of the Guardians that can get the most physical when it comes to comedy. They were also the two that carried a lot of the comedy in Volume 2. She wonders aloud if getting tossed over would work, Drax does so without even taking a second to think, that's the joke, laugh and move on.

Something something "But if Mantis can leap and jump all over the house why did she need Drax to throw her over", because it was a more comedic way to do it.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:23 pm

I didn't have an issue with the Mantis gate scene, but I noticed the Captain Marvel scene and thought even in the context it's inclusion wasn't wise.

It doesn't mean discussion over the gate scene can't be dissected. The flippant dismissal and mocking of the points being made is just weird but par for the course when concerns of misogyny are brought up in Marvel topics.

Return to “The Multiplex”