Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - Disney+ Series

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:53 pm

Jarjar.

Definitely Jarjar is in trouble and calls on Kenobi right after this, at a point in time when Obi-Wan is anxious to jump on a flight and aid anyone he can with a grin. Cut some arms off then call it a day. Reva is the B-plot, which never intersects with Kenobi but the final scene of the season shows her finding something that does connect with the Jarjar plot, setting up season 3.

In seriousness, Maul could be interesting but I agree he would be repetitive and even if they did re-enact the duel with him and Kenobi, that would be kinda anticlimactic. Even for people who haven't seen Rebels.

My real hope for season two would be to introduce A'Sharad Hett. I think you can still have a conflict with the Tuskens even if you don't want to paint them as the total monsters they were in the movies and stick with what the Mandalorian era is doing. Seeing both sides of a conflict would be outstanding.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:12 am

Genuinely loved this series.
Spoiler! :
I didn't technically "need" more Obi-Wan or to have the gaps between Episodes 3 and 4 shored up by anything, but this did exactly what it needed to do with the character: show how broken he was, show how numb he had become, and then let him rebuild himself through his sense of honor and duty. Star Wars presents the Jedi as heroes through a lot of "A Jedi is____" but Obi-Wan moved himself beyond those linear trappings. He's not a hero because he's a Jedi, he's a hero because that's just who he is. He needed to be reminded of that, and it's interesting that Leia is in a way twice responsible for dragging him out of exile and pushing him to the next stage of his life, for good or bad. It further cements the impact that Skywalkers have had on his life.

The Anakin of the prequels was an asshole top to bottom and I never got the feeling from those movies that he was a good guy that fell. But the Anakin of the Clone Wars cartoon did a lot to save the character, making him far more likeable and more in line with what he should have been. The flashback Anakin in this series felt more like the Clone Wars Anakin portrayed by Hayden as opposed to the rather shitty Anakin that Hayden portrayed in the prequels. I was not eager for more Hayden, but this was fine.

I know it's hipster cool to talk about fan service in relation to who shows up and what happens and all that, but I was serviced and serviced hard by Vader holding ships back and going apeshit with a lightsaber and I loved every second of it. I'd watch an entire series of Vader murdering Jedi. I'd watch an entire series of Vader just force choking people. 6 episodes of nonstop Sithsphyxiation. It's reminded me of little me sitting on the floor with one of those red cocktail swords jammed into the vintage telescoping lightsaber hole (because the lightsabers they came with were so puny) and murdering everyone.

Biggest surprise was how excellent an actress MicroLeia was.

I didn't have the complaints about Reva or her journey that others did, nor did I think the overall writing presented any problems either canonically or stylistically.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:15 am

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Spoiler! :
The Anakin of the prequels was an asshole top to bottom and I never got the feeling from those movies that he was a good guy that fell.
Excellent review, thank you. REALLY nice to see someone who appreciated it to such a level.
Spoiler! :
And with Anakin, yeah, ultimately he proved that despite all his talk of saving Padme, in the end he was simply a possessive POS.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:58 am

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Genuinely loved this series.
Spoiler! :
I didn't technically "need" more Obi-Wan or to have the gaps between Episodes 3 and 4 shored up by anything, but this did exactly what it needed to do with the character: show how broken he was, show how numb he had become, and then let him rebuild himself through his sense of honor and duty. Star Wars presents the Jedi as heroes through a lot of "A Jedi is____" but Obi-Wan moved himself beyond those linear trappings. He's not a hero because he's a Jedi, he's a hero because that's just who he is. He needed to be reminded of that, and it's interesting that Leia is in a way twice responsible for dragging him out of exile and pushing him to the next stage of his life, for good or bad. It further cements the impact that Skywalkers have had on his life.

The Anakin of the prequels was an asshole top to bottom and I never got the feeling from those movies that he was a good guy that fell. But the Anakin of the Clone Wars cartoon did a lot to save the character, making him far more likeable and more in line with what he should have been. The flashback Anakin in this series felt more like the Clone Wars Anakin portrayed by Hayden as opposed to the rather shitty Anakin that Hayden portrayed in the prequels. I was not eager for more Hayden, but this was fine.

I know it's hipster cool to talk about fan service in relation to who shows up and what happens and all that, but I was serviced and serviced hard by Vader holding ships back and going apeshit with a lightsaber and I loved every second of it. I'd watch an entire series of Vader murdering Jedi. I'd watch an entire series of Vader just force choking people. 6 episodes of nonstop Sithsphyxiation. It's reminded me of little me sitting on the floor with one of those red cocktail swords jammed into the vintage telescoping lightsaber hole (because the lightsabers they came with were so puny) and murdering everyone.

I didn't have the complaints about Reva or her journey that others did, nor did I think the overall writing presented any problems either canonically or stylistically.
Your review sums up my feelings for the show as well. Absolutely loved it from top to bottom for all the reasons you mentioned!
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 pm

Loved this show!
Spoiler! :
The final duel between Obi Wan and Darth Vader was fantastic. It was definitely up there as one of if not the best light saber fights in Star Wars in many respects. In terms of sword choreography, it was a lot less silly than many previous fights. Not fancy dancing or old people barely moving. It was just good sword fighting. Scholagladiatoria even did a review of the scene and praised it for the swordplay.

On top of that, we finally get to see an interesting mix of lightsaber combat and use of force telekinetic powers. Kenobi and Vader feel like the most powerful force users we have seen on screen (except for the wacky over the top Emperor in Rise of Skywalker…).

And then the emotional interaction between Kenobi and Vader was fantastic. Honestly, I didn’t like either of these actors in the prequels. But they both really stepped up and have excellent performances in this show. I particularly loved Vader’s voice vacillating between Anakin and Vader at the end.

This was the best depiction of Jedi combat in Star Wars in my opinion. Loved it.

I was a fan of Reva for most of this series. I’m fine with how her story went. She was an intriguing character. I wish we got to see more of the other Inquisitors as well.
Overall, I really enjoyed this show. This show, Mandalorian, and Rogue One are my favorite Star Wars since the Original Trilogy. I’m still watching Clobe Wars, and that’s up there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:45 pm

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:Genuinely loved this series.
Spoiler! :

Yes, I agree with all of this! Anakin was such a better heroic character in Clone Wars. And it felt like this show was channeling that version of him and not the Prequels version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm

I thought this show was pretty horrible, the writing was just bad.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am

Finally finished this show this weekend. I don't know what was worse, this of BoBF. Seriously, does anybody edit scripts anymore or is Disney just winging it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:39 pm

I personally felt BoBF was way better than this.
Popoman
CROM?

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Nebraska wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am
Finally finished this show this weekend. I don't know what was worse, this of BoBF. Seriously, does anybody edit scripts anymore or is Disney just winging it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It blows my mind that they can have such poor writing for such a HUGE franchise. Can't believe they had a plot point revolve around the idea that Bail Organa is just a huge idiot
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:56 pm

I can't believe people hated it this much.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:44 pm

Felt like they felt compelled to make an obi wan series but put no thought into it.

Too many conveniences story wise for me. Which is a direct example of poor writing.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:47 pm

Well, agree to disagree.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:30 pm

You certainly can't argue with insight that deep lol

I found myself looking forward to these episodes way more than I did for Book of Boba Fett - except for what turned out to be full-on Mandalorian episodes. Those were nice surprises but obviously should not have been the hook for a show about Boba.

The first few episodes of Kenobi were nothing special - they felt lower budget than a show with such important characters should. The planet Obi Wan went to where Leia had been taken looked about the same quality as Lamentis from Loki, which is where the TV Show budget really stuck out. I feel like overall the Mandalorian utilized the Forge better to feel bigger budget than it was. The Snow planet and wooded one from the first Cara Dune episode felt like actual Star Wars locations. Kenobi really only got Tatooine right, which is the easiest one given how often the shows revisit it. The planet for the final battle was fine visually - they needed something that looked nice and couldn't be Mustafar again lol

The first few episodes introducing Leia were tough at points, and the bit where they just guessed where/how to fix the hanger door was laughable. As was the noticeable lack of alien background characters. However, once Vader became a central figure this show really picked up. I especially enjoyed the last 2 episodes - and was shocked how much I cared about Tala and her robot friend in the end. The last episode validated the show for me, and I thought it was awesome to be watching a new Vader vs Obi Wan lightsaber fight in 2022. The journey there was mostly forgettable and underwhelming. Much less so than everything non-Mando from Book of Boba Fett.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:03 pm

Pretty reasonable reaction, but what I'd expect from you, Enforcer. I do agree the tv sets stuck out at times but that's always been forgivable to me if the characters carry it, which they did for me. I definitely looked forward to this show more than Book every week and agree the finale really elevated the show as a whole. It's incredible sometimes to get a finale that does that, since so many can easily disappoint. I also did have some pacing issues and such, felt the editing could have been tighter in places (Leia pausing before needing Ben to finally use the Force is the big one in my mind). But overall, especially with the ending, fantastic ride.

Return to “The Multiplex”