Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Bashbash99
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:22 pm

Watched all 5 eps and thought it was pretty great.

fwiw i hated the original Filmation series when i was a kid, i thought it was overly corny even relative to other cartoons of its time. My younger brother loved it though. But anyhow, anyone who "loved" the original series but hates this one likely has very different tastes from me -its like complaining that JLU focused too much on charactes other than Superman and Batman and that it should've been more like Superfriends instead.

Overall, I thought Revelations was a pretty thoughtful update that managed to modernize the storytelling, characters and mythology of MOTU without going grimdark, no mean feat in this day and age.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm

4.7/10 on IMDB

32% Audience Score RT

2/10 on Metacritic

Some angry fans.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 pm

K_Steel wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
4.7/10 on IMDB

32% Audience Score RT

2/10 on Metacritic

Some angry fans.
Oh yeah. Same thing these whiny manbabies did to Captain Marvel and The Boys. Kevin Smith talks about it in the video Karl shared. The hilarious thing is hearing about how little Netflix actually cares about those ratings (probably because of how easily manipulated they are).

And in general, the YouTube video Karl recommended earlier is fantastic. Some excellent insights and points made, and some "spoilery" slips (unless you have seen movies or TV shows before) that make the second half of the show sound pretty goddamn amazing. I'm actually more excited about the rest of season 1, and in fact more confident about how good it's going to be, than I was before.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Honestly, I barely have a horse in this race. He-Man was the first show I remember being excited enough about to tape then rewatch as a kid, but I've never been super excited about it since. Once I got into Conan, I sorta forgot about MOTU. I did feel a slight pull when the Four Horsemen were doing figures for Mattel but never enough to actually line my shelves with them.

That said, I was kinda curious about this show. A lot of the complaints I see in here don't really strike me as impactful, as far as what I'm looking for in something to watch, but I have to admit some of the stuff KnightDamien is saying about the show has made me save it with intentions of giving it a shot soon.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 pm

This show did remind me how much I hate the “Adam is secretly He-man” dynamic. It never seemed to make as much sense with him as it does for like Superman and Spider-man.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:04 am

Boy Wonder wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 pm
This show did remind me how much I hate the “Adam is secretly He-man” dynamic. It never seemed to make as much sense with him as it does for like Superman and Spider-man.
Right. He doesn't even comb his hair differently! I guess that's why I came to prefer the little comics that came with the toys.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 am

At least here they do make Adam look different from He-Man. In the original cartoon it's literally just He-Man with a shirt and pants. Here they actually made Adam look younger, scrawnier, weaker, etc. than when he's He-Man. Makes the dual identity work better at least.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:52 am

KnightDamien wrote:

Oh yeah. Same thing these whiny manbabies did to Captain Marvel and The Boys. Kevin Smith talks about it in the video Karl shared. The hilarious thing is hearing about how little Netflix actually cares about those ratings (probably because of how easily manipulated they are).
The Boys?

The Boys was incredibly well-received by fans and general audiences. It's probably the best received superhero TV series under Daredevil.

They even satirized the same Woke 'Girls get it done' nonsense that a lot of these other shows (including this one) fall victim to, as insincere studio drivel by mindless executives.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:30 am

I have a strange, nonsensical idea that if I'd spoiled the Star Wars sequel trilogy for myself, I would have liked it better. So when I heard all of the internet chatter about this show, I decided to go ahead and read/watch spoiler-y reviews. Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it until I watched it.

Just finished it about an hour ago, and I've gotta say that I really liked it. Each episode ended and I wanted to immediately watch the next one. I'm an old school MOTU fan, and I was concerned that would color my view of the series, but it didn't. (But then, I generally diverge from some of my peers that everything new "isn't as good as it was when I was a kid," or that millennials are bringing about the end of the world.) My 11-year old son watched it with me, and he was super into it, too, though he was pretty pissed about the casualties.

Loved Scareglow and the Preternia crew...that was a cool easter egg.

As an old school MOTU fan, there was only one thing that didn't sit well with me:
Spoiler! :
The idea that "Castle Grayskull" is just an imaginary facade for the Temple of the Elders. Didn't like that. Grayskull was one of my favorite toys as a kid, and was responsible for so much wonder and speculation about who or what built such a creepy place, finding out it's all an illusion didn't land for me.
As far as where the show is going:
Spoiler! :
I was disappointed to see Evil-Lyn re-join Skeletor at the end. I can only hope she did it to try and sabotage his plans. She had so much growth in this show, I'd hate to see it thrown away just because "she's supposed to be a bad guy."
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 am

K_Steel wrote: The Boys was incredibly well-received by fans and general audiences. It's probably the best received superhero TV series under Daredevil.
And yet... The Boys was actually negative review bombed early on. It was a whole controversy with whiny manbabies upset that Amazon was only releasing the show one episode per week, so they dumped tons of negative reviews on it in the first few episodes as a 'protest.' I'm surprised you know how well-received the show was, but never heard about all this. It was a big deal at the time.

Falling Downer wrote:that was a cool easter egg.
I don't think it was really an easter egg. POTENTIAL spoiler:
Spoiler! :
On the Fatman Beyond vidcast referenced earlier, the guy that voices Orko mentioned that in ep.6 we'll get 'more He-Man than we can handle' (paraphrased). I'm very much thinking that Adam's act of self-sacrifice in giving up paradise is going to energize the other He-Men into doing the same thing. So it may be more than an easter egg as in those characters might be a much bigger deal than a one-episode throw-away cast. Which, if true, would be awesome.
Falling Downer wrote:As far as where the show is going:
Spoiler! :
It's harder when you don't have real actors on screen to give you those little cues in emotion and body language and such. But I do think they very lightly implied that Lyn isn't exactly happy about this turn of events and may not be as much on Skeletor's side anymore as it seems. Interested to see where that goes, if anywhere. I agree it would be kind of disappointing if that little bit of character development we got from her was basically for nothing and she just ends up as Skeletor's lackey again.
Another interesting possibility is that her love/borderline obsession with magic will cause her to betray Skeletor, but not for good reasons, and she'll become the new big bad going forward into a potential season 2.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 am

In the case of Evil-Lyn:
Spoiler! :
While she doesn't overtly show regret after her little betrayal speech before re-joining Skeletor, Beast Man totally shows unease. The look on his face. The slight hesitation when he welcomes Skeletor back. Given his dedication to Evil-Lyn and her own slight pause before swapping sides, I'm sure that's gonna come back around to it.
K_Steel
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 am
K_Steel wrote: The Boys was incredibly well-received by fans and general audiences. It's probably the best received superhero TV series under Daredevil.
And yet... The Boys was actually negative review bombed early on. It was a whole controversy with whiny manbabies upset that Amazon was only releasing the show one episode per week, so they dumped tons of negative reviews on it in the first few episodes as a 'protest.' I'm surprised you know how well-received the show was, but never heard about all this. It was a big deal at the time.
People upset about the episode release plan by the network is a fair. Especially since it was a drastic change from the way S1 was released and audiences have grown accustomed to the binge model. The supposed 'review bombing' didn't seem to have much of an impact as the quality of the show spoke for itself.

It wasn't criticism about the show, but moreso about how Amazon was releasing it.

Very different to the current divisive He-Man situation, where the show itself is what is generating the controversy.

Here's a pretty balanced series review from a Toy Reviewer (I thought it would be relevant to this site specifically). And even those who enjoyed the series thus far, have to admit the marketing was deceptive. As IGN's positive review for the show says "this is the Teela show". Understandably, that would not appeal to some audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8CvpUr-w8
KarlSpace
Super Poseable

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:24 am

KnightDamien wrote:

And in general, the YouTube video Karl recommended earlier is fantastic. Some excellent insights and points made, and some "spoilery" slips (unless you have seen movies or TV shows before) that make the second half of the show sound pretty goddamn amazing. I'm actually more excited about the rest of season 1, and in fact more confident about how good it's going to be, than I was before.
Glad you enjoyed it. I really like Griffin Newman's take on being Orko, and I think we can all thank him for really achieving the emotion the writers were bringing to the character. He was also on the Toygalaxy stream on Twitch the night before, and I really enjoyed him there as well.

It was good to hear Smith talk about it light of everything that was going on. Definitely bouyed my spirits for the back half of season 1 as well.

For anyone interested, here's the Fatman on Batman podcast, and here's Griffin on Toy Galaxy.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:38 pm

Three and a half episodes in and I'm liking it quite a bit. I really dig what they're doing with Evil-Lyn and Beast Man. Love all of the various characters and easter eggs popping up. Really like the animation style.

When does Part 2 come out?
FlexionDynamo
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Relevations is awesome. Not gonna buy the action figures...probably. But its pretty good for what it is.

I wonder if Mega Construx will actually make more sets now that there is new IP/Marketing. I'm interested to see if kids get into it.

Return to “The Multiplex”