In praise of the unexpected…

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: In praise of the unexpected…

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:22 pm

kailryu wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:10 am
It’s great to hear some of these, particularly regarding a few figures I’d decided not to pick up but have wondered if I’m wrong about skipping such as Lizard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't skip Lizard.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Yup lizard is likely figure of the yr for me.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:18 pm

Lizard was one of my most anticipated figures of the year and if anything, he didn’t live up to my preferences (was hoping he’d be just a bit bulkier). I didn’t even consider him for this thread because I expected him to be a home run and he is. Easily among the top ten MLs this year.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:35 am

Lizard fulfilled all my expectations and is one of the best for 2022. Rhino is also pretty tops mainly because of the heads and paint but the out dated articulation knocks it down a peg.

If I get my X-Men retros this year, Spiral would easily also make my top 3 and is one of the best legends made.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:55 am

JPC wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:33 pm
But the Vulcan thighs are so long!
That's what they're supposed to look like. It's just that most of the other figures had short thighs.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 am

For me it's definitely Lizard and New Retro Beast. Then Mafex Azrael Bats.

Don't have Spiral yet, but she also looks great.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 am

Is anyone really NOT expecting Spiral to be amazing? The thread is about figures that are unexpectedly good.
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:08 am

I missed the preorder for Lizard, was on vacation and had spotty internet. Did he show up in Brick and Morter? I don’t shop at Walmart but will check em out
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 am

NORM wrote:Is anyone really NOT expecting Spiral to be amazing? The thread is about figures that are unexpectedly good.
Yeah I do like the overall positivity but my initial thinking was very much the “oh wow, I didn’t know I’d love this!” factor.

Especially when it comes to something you almost resented getting because you bought an extra figure to reach free shipping or to get a baf part or it was so much reuse you find that the difference in paint apps make it feel like a whole new figure.

Maybe you got something as custom fodder with an as yet undetermined purpose but then couldn’t bear to dismember it once you had a chance to handle it.

maczero
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:33 pm

kailryu wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:52 am
NORM wrote:Is anyone really NOT expecting Spiral to be amazing? The thread is about figures that are unexpectedly good.
Yeah I do like the overall positivity but my initial thinking was very much the “oh wow, I didn’t know I’d love this!” factor.

Especially when it comes to something you almost resented getting because you bought an extra figure to reach free shipping or to get a baf part or it was so much reuse you find that the difference in paint apps make it feel like a whole new figure.

Maybe you got something as custom fodder with an as yet undetermined purpose but then couldn’t bear to dismember it once you had a chance to handle it.

Also, there's buying a figure just for the accessories and you wind up liking the figure enough to keep it in your collection. This happened with Gwenpool. I only wanted her for her weapons, phone and extra hands. I figured the $5 bucks I paid for her was worth it even if I didn't care for the character. Turns out she's such a fun figure that I decided to add her to my collection.
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:28 pm

I didn't expect to like Quake as much as I do. Finding heads to put on that body as a SHIELD troop builder is hella fun, and I had no idea the body would be as subtly sexy as it is. The sculpt of that tight suit and the highlighting of the straps cuts a FINE silhouette.

On a related note I did NOT expect the new deluxe Iron Man to be able to hold his proton cannon without the stand, but yep, there are multiple poses such as the one below where you can get that done.

kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:21 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:I didn't expect to like Quake as much as I do. Finding heads to put on that body as a SHIELD troop builder is hella fun, and I had no idea the body would be as subtly sexy as it is. The sculpt of that tight suit and the highlighting of the straps cuts a FINE silhouette.

On a related note I did NOT expect the new deluxe Iron Man to be able to hold his proton cannon without the stand, but yep, there are multiple poses such as the one below where you can get that done.

That’s so cool how many heads fit the Quake body without sitting too high or low!

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”