How do you beat collection burnout?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Scotch n Ciggs
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: How do you beat collection burnout?

Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:38 pm

If I feel burnt out from it, I step away and do something what I get enjoyment out of or some other challenge like training for a half marathon.
Thor-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:41 pm

I'm in the same financial crunch that a lot of other folks are in, and that's been the main motivator in cutting back on collecting. And I've actually found that by tightening the focus of my collecting to Thor/Asgardian-related figures (comic versions only) and Ultra Magnus specifically in Transformers, that it's actually helped stave off any kind of burnout.

With the massive amount of product coming out from all the different brands, burning out on both enthusiasm and finances is a real concern. So maybe tighten up what you want to get so that when something related to it actually does come out (on the possibly rare occasion), you'll be excited for it.

Stepping away entirely is also a good solution as long as you won't suffer from FOMO, and be angry at missing something and being forced to pay secondary market prices later.
AddictBraids
Customized

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm

maczero wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:29 pm
So I'm going through a period of not wanting to buy new figures. There's plenty of stuff that I want but I'm not motivated to get it. I think I've narrowed down the possible reasons why.

1) My collection is too large. I now have a room that I literally have to move boxes of toys out of so I can create a walking path.
2) There are better things my money can be spent on. I don't have a toy budget. If something is on sale or I really want it then I buy it. Now that the things I need to live (gas, utilities, food etc.) are more expensive, this hobby just feels like a frivolous waste of money.
3) I don't take time to enjoy my collection. When I first got into collecting, I thought I'd be taking awesome toy pics and creating kick ass displays. Nowadays I don't bother opening up most of the stuff I buy.

Possible solutions:
1) Purge. Go through my collection and get rid of figures I no longer have an interest in.
2) Budget. Set a monthly spending limit and stick to it.
3) Play with my stuff regularly.
4) Take a break. Don't buy anything and stay away from toy related news and social media. The assumption is I'll miss it and come back.

Anyway, how do you guys deal with burnout?
So I guess I don't know exactly what you collect, and I don't think I've ever really stopped enjoying the collecting hobby itself. There's been times where I've looked at all my stuff and thought to myself, "Am I a loser?" Or "This has really gotten out of hand", and then I normally go through a massive "purge" as others are calling it. But I've found that while purging can be good in some cases, it also has led to regret sometimes. I've sold stuff before, just turn around and re buy it again later because I made a rash decision when I was in a weird mood.

I remember when in I was mainly collecting Marvel Legends, Black Series, McFarlane DC/Mortal Kombat , NECA and other random stuff my collection just got overwhelming. I had legitimately like 200+ figures between everything and a good chunk of it was Mint in Box. So I just had like 4 or 5 big totes full of unopened action figures sitting underneath my basement stairs. I had some loose stuff I had displayed too, but 70% of what I had was still sealed. And I remember just stopping and looking at everything one day when I was cleaning out the storage area under my stairs and realizing my hobby had gotten kind of out hand. I had WAY too much unnecessary stuff. I remember when I was collecting Legends, I would just buy stuff I didn't even really care about. Like I was never a huge Fantastic Four fan or a Namor fan, but I had multiples of all the characters. So I purged massively. The nice thing about being a Mint in Box collector is when you decide to purge, you can actually get some $$$ back. I remember hauling 3 massive totes to a local comic shop to sell, and I got like $3,000 for everything. I probably actually spent like $3,000, maybe more on everything, but it was still a nice little paycheck. And it felt good to have rid myself of a lot of junk that I didn't really care about. But it also made me realize that while some people would consider this hobby a waste of money or frivolous spending as you put it, the stuff does have value if you take care of it. And I've also discovered that almost all men have some sort of "hobby" they pour money into. Whether it's Cars, Shoes, Sports Cards, Video Games, you name it someone out there does it/collects it as a hobby.

But the big thing that was a huge game changer for me and the way that I collect was when I stopped collecting the big box store brands. I have very few action figures made by Hasbro or McFarlane in my collection now. I dont even really pay attention to Hasbro or McFarlane brands anymore, which is also a plus because it keeps me out of Targets, Walmarts, Gamestops ect. For the most part I only buy the "higher end" brands now. Mafex, Storm, Mezco, Figuarts and a few NECA figures here and there. A common misconception when people contemplate moving to the higher end stuff is that it's going to be way more expensive collecting the high end stuff because each individual figure is like 4x the price of a Marvel Legend or Black Series figure. But the difference is, the higher end stuff doesn't get released nearly as often as the big box brands. Marvel Legends probably releases 100ish figures per year in their 6 inch line, where as Mafex maybe releases 30-40 figures per year. Of those 30-40 Mafex figures released I'll maybe buy 10...I went from having 5ish totes packed full of figures when I was collecting Black Series, Marvel Legends and McFarlane, to Now having one and a half totes with figures I genuinely love now. I've found that with the higher end stuff and the higher price tag, I'm a lot more selective when I make purchases now, and the quality of figures is much better so I appreciate the stuff more too. The down side is, who knows if I'll ever be able to fully complete the 90s X Men team or get the Justice League fully assembled, but I do know the figures I do get are the best of the best in their scale. And because the production and distribution rates are much much slower and lower for a company like Mezco or Mafex compared to Hasbronor McFarlane, my collection never gets overwhelming.
maczero
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:18 pm

AddictBraids wrote: So I guess I don't know exactly what you collect, and I don't think I've ever really stopped enjoying the collecting hobby itself. There's been times where I've looked at all my stuff and thought to myself, "Am I a loser?" Or "This has really gotten out of hand", and then I normally go through a massive "purge" as others are calling it. But I've found that while purging can be good in some cases, it also has led to regret sometimes. I've sold stuff before, just turn around and re buy it again later because I made a rash decision when I was in a weird mood.
This is exactly why I decided that purging right now is a bad idea. My feelings right now are that I'm annoyed by my collection in general and could see myself getting rid of nearly everything.
maverick10126 wrote: I’ve been experiencing this myself here and there and I think the most important thing to admit to yourself is that it’s okay.

It’s okay that something you invested so much money into doesn’t interest you anymore. Or it’s okay to have a change in what interests you. What initially held your interest doesn’t have to hold your interest forever. For example when we were all kids there was a time that we were first introduced to a property and a previously loved property fell by the wayside. It’s okay to have a new favorite.
This is a good point. I often chide myself for giving up on new endeavors. Hobbies are supposed to be fun not binding commitments.
maverick10126 wrote: And btw, once you move those figures into the attic, you won’t miss them. Same as once you sell them. You really don’t miss them.
I hope that's not the case. I've always liked storing my collection out of sight. I keep most of my figures in bins and pull them out to set up rotating displays. The move to the attic is just to get stuff out of my way.
Thor-El wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Stepping away entirely is also a good solution as long as you won't suffer from FOMO, and be angry at missing something and being forced to pay secondary market prices later.
FOMO and high secondary market prices aren't usually a big deal with the mass retail stuff. I feel up to a year after a figure has been released I'll find it on sale from 25-75% off MSRP. It's the boutique lines like Valaverse and Mythic Legions that I worry about.
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:39 pm

I feel burnt out from hasbro tbh. Ive been loving mcfarlane’s dc stuff. Come over to the darkside. Join us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maczero
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 am

seditionary wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:39 pm
I feel burnt out from hasbro tbh. Ive been loving mcfarlane’s dc stuff. Come over to the darkside. Join us Image

Two problems with that. I'm not a big DC fan and McFarlane figures are too large.
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:27 am

My biggest cure all for collecting has been two lesson.

The first is to realize theres a natural up and down of interest. Thats tricky because sometimes these companies want you to be paying constant attention to their reveals and make sure you pre order. Its actually easier to figure out what you actually want when you are having a down moment. Sometimes ill just delete my bbts preorders cause I end up not caring about certain things.

The second is I changed the way i display things and therefore it changed my mind about collecting. In the past i was a team builder. My collection was all about who i didnt have rather than what I did. It bothered me to look at my shelves. Now i display by themed shelves…
For example: Sci-fi shelf has some guardians of the galaxy, xenomorphs, star wars, shogun warriors, voltron, etc. this makes collecting so much fun pretty much all the time.

It also improves the thrill of the hunt. If im at a vintage toy show and I see some random robot or a vampire, ill know where its gonna go and itll be fun to see how it grows a personality next to something else.

Thats honestly why I suggested mcfarlane (i also wanted to see what would happen) because its really all over the place and it fits into my random collecting habits so well. Truly a multiverse.

Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:44 am

Maxmumspida wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:02 pm
Night Wolf wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:22 pm
This is gonna sound weird but i think when i got sick with covid, i noticed i lost about 30% interest in figure collecting then i gradually came back but im super picky now. for example: i was dying for a Zartan-Classified and now i dont care for it? i also have even more collecting rules that i stick by now. maybe covid made me more mature? i dont know but ive changed big time with my collecting habits and tastes (shrugs) I even sold all my Superheroes figures that i had...
Haha. Covid made me feel that way too. I wanted to sell all my figures. Lol. But was too lazy and tired to do so. A little while after covid, back to usual. Lol.
Maybe 'collection selling' is a symptom of covid? besides the body aches and loss of taste?
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:25 pm

I want to collect less and enjoy the hobby more. My main 'problem' is not collecting too many Legends. It's been the dilemma of diverting the money saved into buying other figures, some being expensive. But that's another discussion...

For Marvel Legends, thankfully, I only have interest in collecting characters in their old iconic Bronze Age duds. So, looking back over the years, I have bought less and less. The focus has really helped me to keep the hobby reasonable and in budget.

I've been looking at checklists. I'm astonished by the sheer volume of Legends that have been pumping out in the last few years. I'm happy to say I hardly bought any of them.

I only got about 12-18 per year. Maybe 25 at the heaviest. I skipped the vast majority of the waves and sets altogether. The price has kept me frugal, but even more so the character selections.

Wow, I don't feel so bad about having two jumbo shelves packed full of Legends anymore. 7' long in total, 6' foot high. Takes up most of a wall in my small collection room. If I got everything, I would require about fourteen such jumbo shelves for just Legends alone. That's a roughly estimated 49' length of tall shelving altogether. You'd need a very big basement or multiple rooms dedicated to the completionist hobby. Crazy.

You don't need everything. Pick a limited collecting theme. Stick with it.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:12 am

Coming back to this thread because I’ve now found myself in the position of the OP.

I’m just… burnt out. I’m not even sure that’s a word for it? I kind of hate my collection.

It’s a lot of money, a lot of space, for… plastic figures that sit on a shelf. It’s the constant stress of exclusives. It’s companies wanting $300 - $400 regularly for figures that won’t ship for a year. Prices going up so much across the board — two exclusive Hasbro figures are almost the cost of a PS5 game now. It just makes no sense?

I find absolutely zero joy in any of it right now. It just feels like such a waste with the rising costs.

You can’t even step away in this hobby for a few weeks, because you miss the out of nowhere preorders, the limited time windows, the blink and you’ll miss it exclusives. You have to constantly stay plugged in at all times or severely pay for it later.

I so desperately want a break, but the time I do is when NECA drops the sewer lair and I miss it. Or I’ll miss some super limited time preorder. That’s what I hate most — you can’t just walk away for a bit. It never, ever ends and you never, ever get a break.

I hate that I feel this way but I don’t know if and how it can be fixed.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:36 am

Roufuss wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:12 am
Coming back to this thread because I’ve now found myself in the position of the OP.

I’m just… burnt out. I’m not even sure that’s a word for it? I kind of hate my collection.

It’s a lot of money, a lot of space, for… plastic figures that sit on a shelf. It’s the constant stress of exclusives. It’s companies wanting $300 - $400 regularly for figures that won’t ship for a year. Prices going up so much across the board — two exclusive Hasbro figures are almost the cost of a PS5 game now. It just makes no sense?

I find absolutely zero joy in any of it right now. It just feels like such a waste with the rising costs.

You can’t even step away in this hobby for a few weeks, because you miss the out of nowhere preorders, the limited time windows, the blink and you’ll miss it exclusives. You have to constantly stay plugged in at all times or severely pay for it later.

I so desperately want a break, but the time I do is when NECA drops the sewer lair and I miss it. Or I’ll miss some super limited time preorder. That’s what I hate most — you can’t just walk away for a bit. It never, ever ends and you never, ever get a break.

I hate that I feel this way but I don’t know if and how it can be fixed.
It's about prioritization and narrowing your collections' focus. There's just too much, you can't buy everything nor should you. It helps to slowly sell off older toys that you may not care as much about to make room and money for new stuff. At some point or collection transforms us into hoarders and that's when we lose the enjoyment and ourselves because we become consume by it.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:10 am

I can definitely sympathize with the sentiment that you need to remind yourself that "I don't need to own everything just because I mildly like it." Particularly when space becomes a concern, you're often left with 3 options, 1) put things into storage, which may cost money to hold onto things that let's be honest, you're not even enjoying because it's in storage 2) sell off certain things, and 3) never buy certain things in the first place. 1 & 2 cost you both time and money depending on how things occur, option #3 is often less fun particularly when you're seeing so many other people's collections and how they're enjoying something. The advent of FOMO also means you could be paying top dollar if you ever decide to go back later and buy a prized or highly desired item.

All in all, there's been times when I say "why do you have all this $h!t, you don't need it and it's taking over such & such area" while other times I find myself genuinely enjoying things I've kept for years and refused to part with. It can run the gamut from enjoying that "new car smell" and what's new and fresh, to picking up something you haven't held in years and taking in whatever nostalgia, memory, or positive affection you may have for that item. In some ways it can be like a photo album, a depiction of the past, but where images take a tangible form. Thus far my goal has been to limit what I purchase to what I genuinely know I love and focusing on that. Having a tiered viewpoint that recognizes stuff I just "like" and being able to notice when something will be a momentary high followed by a "why did I buy this, I only mildly like it" recognition. As such, the ability to pass on significant sales and discounts when you know it's not something you absolutely need, rather than just the joy of catching a deal, helps to pare down the horde before you even own it. I enjoy collecting, but in some ways for people like ourselves the things you own can often wind up owning you. Being able to step into an area of your living area and not be overwhelmed by it all has value unto itself.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:56 pm

It could be helpful to set an intention for your collection. My entire setup is team and era based (other than the MCU shelves which will obviously continue to grow as new characters are introduced), so at this point there are only ~25 figures left to make my comic-based collection feel complete. I make my own customs and commission from my favorite customizers pretty regularly, so hopefully within the next 2 years or so I'll have those 25 finished off and will only be collecting new MCU characters by that point. I'm looking forward to that because it'll be cheaper and way more manageable.
joshsquash729
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:47 pm

I can't say I necessarily have ever gotten burnout for collecting in general- maybe a specific line, but usually my interest comes back with either a new wave or movie or what have you.

However, I can admit to stressing over money and letting that effect my figure buying. Thing is, I'm admittedly terrible at self control, and buying figures makes me happy (a precious commodity these days), so I can almost always find an excuse for me to spend X amount on toys. Lately, however, I've been running out of room big time, which has led to some figures literally just sitting there waiting to be shelved. I technically have places for them, but it would mean re-arranging my shelves into configurations I'm not entirely happy with and barely being able to see the figure itself. So I'm telling myself that I'm just playing the long game with them. Still stresses me out though. What I've started doing is, if there's ever an impulse purchase, I'll let it sit unopened for a few days or a week or whatever, and if I still find myself wanting it at the end of that, I'll keep it. If not, I'll return it.

I used to keep almost everything, thinking that I would either one day have room for it again, or it would bring me joy again. A lot of impulse purchases just sat there collecting dust. I really had to be honest with myself on what I would or wouldn't display again, what I had a genuine interest in, what old figures do I have that have since been re-done better, etc. Going through periodically and selling the ones that I don't have as much attraction to helped me be able to focus more on the ones I do love. I also try and update my display every so often, whether that's getting a new shelf that better shows them off, or re-arranging them on the shelf, which admittedly can be very dangerous and more stress inducing than anything, but on days I'm feeling good, I'll just turn on some music, devote a few hours just to that, and see where it takes me.

I know this was a very roundabout way of answering the question, but for me, presentation plays a big part. It can almost feel like a new collection, or I'm noticing new things about a figure, if I just display it a little differently. I've recently been going through and experimenting with posing a little bit versus just vanilla- it's brought new life to the ones I've gotten. Also, downsizing. It's not necessarily fun, but it helps not stretch your attention too thin, so you're able to focus on and appreciate the ones you end up keeping, plus maybe you end up with a little more money for even more figures! I get anxious and depressed from time to time, and focusing on my figures has always helped me. It sounds silly, but the less I have, the more I'm able to actually focus on the figures and not all the other things (you have too many, you don't have room, it's a bad investment, etc.) Different for everyone, of course, but maybe worth a try!
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:37 pm

Everything you listed works for "burnout" (or times when you have money issues). Periodically, I go through my figures and cull ones I don't want. Some I sell to my LCS (usually for store credit), some I give to kids in my life (one of my buddy's granddaughters just got a whole bunch of female figures that have had updated versions recently released. She didn't care that Leia didn't have faceprint technology!). A few I might stash in a bin for future use, or for further downsizing consideration.

Sure, there have been a few times I've wished I held on to a figure, but I'd say those times are actually few and far between. I've found that every time I've done this, I've added some sort of parameter to give myself some "rules" to keep me from going too crazy with the collection.

With all the price increases, and all the financial issues I've faced over the past three years, I've found myself being far more picky with what I buy. Many figures I would have bought just for the heck of it before, I now find myself passing on. I look at a figure, and ask myself "Is this one I won't want to get rid of in a year or two? Is it essential to my collection?", and I've found that has helped me not only keep from overspending, it's also helped me enjoy the hobby far more. When I get a new figure, I find myself admiring it and posing it a whole lot more before I put it on the shelf.

You mentioned not taking time to enjoy your collection, and I totally relate. I try to make time to go through and just look at a shelf or two at least once a week now. Even if it's only 10-15 minutes, it really helps you to appreciate your figures for the wonderful works of art they are. I find it almost meditative.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”