2022 X-Men Bonebreaker BAF Wave

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

2022 X-Men Bonebreaker BAF Wave

Mon May 16, 2022 11:03 pm

NORM wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:10 pm
aceofknaves wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm
OK so after a tooth-wash, it’s clear that what isn’t reading on the Sabretooth sculpt is that his jaw is intentionally jutting forward creating an “underbite” with him snarling with his *lower* canine fangs jutting forward. It’s actually an accurate portrayal of what it would look like to hold one’s face like that, but it’s an extreme expression that, coupled with how washed-out the face looks in pictures, contributes to the bad stock photos.
I want to appreciate this, but your photo is out of focus.
Having a hard time getting the camera to focus on his face for some reason. I’m no photographer, but for some reason it is very difficult to capture. This may be somewhat better,
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: 2022 X-Men Bonebreaker BAF Wave

Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 pm

aceofknaves wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:03 pm
NORM wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:10 pm
aceofknaves wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm
OK so after a tooth-wash, it’s clear that what isn’t reading on the Sabretooth sculpt is that his jaw is intentionally jutting forward creating an “underbite” with him snarling with his *lower* canine fangs jutting forward. It’s actually an accurate portrayal of what it would look like to hold one’s face like that, but it’s an extreme expression that, coupled with how washed-out the face looks in pictures, contributes to the bad stock photos.
I want to appreciate this, but your photo is out of focus.
Having a hard time getting the camera to focus on his face for some reason. I’m no photographer, but for some reason it is very difficult to capture. This may be somewhat better,
The paint looks really good but the sculpt is still really bad IMO.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 16, 2022 11:47 pm

The second photo is better, and that wash definitely helps. Did you paint the gums too, ace?
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 12:59 am

NORM wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:47 pm
The second photo is better, and that wash definitely helps. Did you paint the gums too, ace?
Thanks, and once again I’m sorry my photo skills are so amateurish.
I didn’t paint the gums, actually, beyond allowing the wash to settle in there as well. I actually tried to compliment the brownish gums with the wash so it would all blend: I often use black to wash teeth, but this browner wash serves this project I think.
Thevision57
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:07 am

People keep saying this looks better in hand but even with that wash it still looks terrible to me. I really hope this ends up being a situation where they double dip and fix this on a retro card.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Tue May 17, 2022 1:21 am

Man, that orange part below the bicep is so ugly. Not matching the fur color is terrible.
Thevision57
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue May 17, 2022 2:06 am

Why they didn't just end the fur below the joint is a mystery. So many bad decisions with this figure especially considering this is the introduction of the raised pricepoint.
Lucid Silverback esq.
Feces Flinger

Tue May 17, 2022 4:55 pm

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 5:39 pm

Sabretooth x2 just got delivered from GameStop. It's a beautifully sculpted portrait of Willem Dafoe. But it ain't really Sabretooth to me. The exaggerated expression simultaneously is less noticeable in person, and makes more sense? It's such an emphasis on his teeth, they overpower the rest of his facial features. It's really a strange sculpt. I don't hate it in person, but I'm not a converted fan of it now that it's in hand.
Piffy
The Fruity Guy

Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 pm

I wonder if painting his head green for a Morbius body would make a serviceable Halloween Jack.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 pm

Piffy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:44 pm
I wonder if painting his head green for a Morbius body would make a serviceable Halloween Jack.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I think this head sculpt could be appropriate for lots of things, but this version of Sabretooth is not the best fit for it.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 am

Sabretooth loses the shin swivels. Which is weird, because that rubber overlay would have hidden it fine, and is exactly the kind of thing that helps me not mind having a shin swivel break the sculpt.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Fri May 20, 2022 2:25 am

Picked up a couple figures from this wave from
GameStop.

Wolverine— I had to get him after seeing Norm’s New Avengers team photo. Thanks, Norm! Wolverine is very cool. Same great body as always. Cool costume. I don’t mind the heat claws. At least they are unique.

Siryn— Got her because she was on sale. I like the head and hair sculpts a lot. Excellent pinlesss double jointed Shriek body. But I don’t think the cape looks very good in any pose, so I am tempted to cut it off. I mostly wanted her for the BAF piece anyway.

Looking forward to Vulcan and Havok the most!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 am

NORM wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:16 am
Sabretooth loses the shin swivels. Which is weird, because that rubber overlay would have hidden it fine, and is exactly the kind of thing that helps me not mind having a shin swivel break the sculpt.
Aww geez! At this point it's like why did Hasbro even bother.
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 20, 2022 2:52 am

Anyone seeing Havok, Vulcan, Darwin, or Maggot at GameStop? Or have gotten any of them shipped?

Also, based on the characters in this wave like classic Havok, classic Sabretooth, and Bonebreaker and the upcoming Mojo, Dazzler, and Longshot pack, it seems pretty clear to me that Hasbro’s next X-Men focus is on the Outback-era team (which seems to be pretty liberally thought of as starting in the Uncanny X-Men #210s). I think the big question is what Psylocke and Rogue costumes do we get (they had a few) and if they do a another Storm aside from the punk look (which was only her costume during the early parts of that general era) or one of her several other looks from that era (which were pretty inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”