HasLab Galactus Discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: HasLab Galactus Discussion

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Jax wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 pm
Enforcer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Jax wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 pm
Man, I’m not even asking for much. I just want a big ass Galactus plus some cool classic 616 (never done before in Legends form) )Heralds in my room. Preferably in a nice display case. Maybe that is a bit much? Oh snap, now I’m confused!?!
Ask for it, sure. Expecting it and being disappointed when the numbers aren't there to facilitate? I wouldn't.
I know homie, I set the expectation bar to a bare minimum as far back as the toybiz days ( looking at you rabbit ryder Ultron) . At least they threw in a free comic book to ease the pain a lil’.
I mean - I know what you're saying because I just posted about that specific Ultron not that long ago about how it was already a disappointing figure, and the leg snapped off out of the package - so I set it on fire.

But to say we are setting expectations low for the line in general? This Galactus may end up being what we hold up as one of the best Legends of all time in a few decades. In hindsight, the golden age of Toy Biz was actually just a lot of early hits and then some big misses. We are now in stride for the line and still breaking new and exciting ground (Sentinel and Galactus are prime examples.)

Expectations around the little extras we are going to get? We got spoiled by the Sentinel because the goal was crushed so easily. The Marvel Fandom was doing things that even Star Wars was struggling to do. That's really huge. If we get zero extras with Galactus, that would definitely decrease the overall value of what we are getting, but I've always seen this as a $500 (CDN) figure. If we get a few extra figures, that would be nice and would make it feel like a discount, in a way.

I'm thinking that even if a tier isn't unlocked Hasbro will still toss in Surfer for those who couldn't get it before (Ryan has pointedly shown on Twitter the secondary market value of the figure in the last 48 hrs). I'm thinking if they hit 14K they will still be thrilled.
H-bird
hbwrdlngiv, after secondary mutation

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:28 pm

Samael13 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 pm
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:04 am
Maximoff wrote: Either way more modern than my collection
Interesting, considering the sentinels themselves are HoX/PoX designed... so it only matters with certain characters to you i guess?

Bastion was created in 1996

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This seems needlessly pedantic, to me. The Prime Sentinels designs we're getting definitely skew modern (ignoring even that the "modern era" covers basically everything from 1986 to now), and Bastion of 1996 looks nothing like the Bastion we're getting with the Sentinel. I'm kind of with Maximoff on this one; I couldn't care less about the Prime Sentinels really; X-Men from 1995 to 2001 don't exist for me, and only select stories exist after that. Operation: Zero Tolerance, the first story that really highlighted the Prime Sentinels (I think?), was from 2006. That's a modern era story, 100%. And the specific look we're getting is definitely more modern than that, even.

I don't think it's poor word choice to say that the Prime Sentinels we're getting are more modern than fits on someone's shelf; if your X-Men interests stop with the end of Claremont's run, they're probably too modern for you. Given that giant robot sentinels have existed since 1965, I don't think they're "too modern" even if the specific details on the one we're getting skew to the modern look. Not a lot of options for in-scale Sentinels, and zero options for in-scale Sentinels in the classic mold.

I'm also definitely of the opinion that you can have different opinions about different figures. So, yeah, " it only matters with certain characters..." I *like* the very robot-looking sentinel. I am *not* interested in modern-looking Colossus. I think you can find some characters too modern looking while you like the more modern looking interpretations of other characters.

Liked/subscribed.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm

No dog in this fight, but Operation Zero Tolerance was 1997 - when I started reading comics. And I still want a Bastion that looks like that.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm

JPC wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm
No dog in this fight, but Operation Zero Tolerance was 1997 - when I started reading comics. And I still want a Bastion that looks like that.
And if you get it, you probably won't need to buy a huge ass Sentinel just to have it. Win.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Oops! Correct! Originally from '97. Edited my post for accuracy! Still counts as modern era and still solidly in my "the X-Men are basically dead to me, right now" era.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:42 pm

I think they could have gotten pretty close to the late 90s version with a different shorter hair and goatee head. No robo jaw.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:42 pm
I think they could have gotten pretty close to the late 90s version with a different shorter hair and goatee head. No robo jaw.
that would of been a nice alternate head at least

id still honestly have traded out the tri-sentinel head for another male Prime sentinel. if they did that.. make the Bastion body more "90s" to keep people happy with his yellow markings. Give him and alternate head, and then keep the male prime sentinel as is and heck give him an alt head too.. and voila.. if we want we can then army build prime sentinels by just placing spare heads on the other bastions we get... even if it's more bastion specific.
rodkeith
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 pm

Meanwhile, back to Galactus... just squeaking towards 9K. What a crawl!
Beamish
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm

Just hit 9K.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:18 am

10k by Thursday, I'm calling it. :D 14k by the time the new reveals are over.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:48 am

I think the FF reveals get this another 2k for sure immediately.
Hbhf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 am

Jax
Avengers Assemble

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 pm

Enforcer wrote:
But to say we are setting expectations low for the line in general?
I meant as far as, character selection, era, execution, add-ons, etc. In a perfect world, my collection would be complete at this point. A side from the fact that, I had to replace 99% of the Toybiz stuff because of outdated sculpts and such, I for one definitely didn’t see that coming. Not a complaint, just a reflection on a by gone era.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Jax wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 pm
Enforcer wrote:
But to say we are setting expectations low for the line in general?
I meant as far as, character selection, era, execution, add-ons, etc. In a perfect world, my collection would be complete at this point. A side from the fact that, I had to replace 99% of the Toybiz stuff because of outdated sculpts and such, I for one definitely didn’t see that coming. Not a complaint, just a reflection on a by gone era.
Ah... yeah I haven't gotten every single figure on my wish list, but I wouldn't say this has impacted my expectations around the line in general. Still gives plenty to look forward to, even with all of the amazing stuff coming out.
Mysticmanjrf1
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm

I love the Toybiz paint detailing and many head sculpts, but overall the Hasbro figures are much better. Those old ball joint thighs...

Regarding Silver Surfer - it is a little odd for Marvel to reference the second market value of the figure, then re-release it alongside a $400 Haslab instead of as a normal $20 item. Not that I mind having him as a tier unlock, but that seems...counterproductive.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”