What's next for ML in 2020-2021

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6945
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:12 am

Hbhf wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:15 am
There'll be additional Walmart reveals coming soon.
I’m putting my money on an MCU Old Man Steve as a potential Walmart exclusive.
User avatar
100ptsofarticulation
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10112
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 am

Nah it'll probably be a repaint of the 80th cap. Because hasbro hates their fans.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: WV
Posts: 4001
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:42 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:25 am

Walmart?
*groan*
I’m so tired of exclusives.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2919
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 am

What I would REALLY like to hear from Hasbro is why they have steered all of their collector lines into SUCH exclusive-heavy territory. SW is the WORST followed by GI Joe. PR seems to be more Fan Channel and ML is what is it is, but it does not make fans happy! I get that our collective happiness is not Hasbro's main goal - that would be the 15% profit margin - but the collective frustration they are CREATING does not seem to be worth the aggravation, frustration and ultimately lost sales because they chase away consumers. It really feels like we are close to how Playmates killed Trek with the 1701 fiasco.

Has anyone ever started collecting because they found a hard-to-get store exclusive?
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6945
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:44 am

JPC wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:12 am
What I would REALLY like to hear from Hasbro is why they have steered all of their collector lines into SUCH exclusive-heavy territory. SW is the WORST followed by GI Joe. PR seems to be more Fan Channel and ML is what is it is, but it does not make fans happy! I get that our collective happiness is not Hasbro's main goal - that would be the 15% profit margin - but the collective frustration they are CREATING does not seem to be worth the aggravation, frustration and ultimately lost sales because they chase away consumers. It really feels like we are close to how Playmates killed Trek with the 1701 fiasco.

Has anyone ever started collecting because they found a hard-to-get store exclusive?
As I understand it, retailers get exclusives as a way to help cement shelf space. If Wal-Mart has exclusive Marvel Legends, they will devote shelf space to the brand as a whole and continue to buy.

Why there has been an uptick lately in exclusives and why exclusives are suddenly hot popular characters? Maybe the buyers finally got smart and started demanding characters that would sell. Maybe it’s to encourage retailers to keep ordering figures during a pandemic. I’d love to know, but we will never know.

But it sure is [email protected]#$ annoying when characters like Ahsoka, iconic versions of Soundwave and Bumblebee, and Dr. Strange are exclusive to one retailer that doesn’t order enough product. Just big gaping holes in a collection (imo) when you miss them.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 pm

Roufuss wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:12 am
Hbhf wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:15 am
There'll be additional Walmart reveals coming soon.
I’m putting my money on an MCU Old Man Steve as a potential Walmart exclusive.
Nah. I am betting that Ajak and the Spider-Man Walmart Exclusives they revealed prior end up here, but I doubt anything like Old Man Steve or previously unannounced movie figures end up here.
User avatar
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Walmart probably wants an exclusive of a character who's getting a movie next year and who's appearing in the Spider-Man movie. They could've included him in the Doctor Strange movie wave like last time.

Captain Marvel finally got her comic book figure. I wonder why they aren't taking advantage of the Eternals advertising to release comic figures of them. I guess releasing 10 movie figures was enough. They should just pack them with the Avengers like they packed an inhuman with Spider-Man.
User avatar
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 18821
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:48 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:39 pm

In Hasbro's last round of interviews, they mentioned that Marvel/Disney doesn't like confusing the cinematic properties and comic properties. You may get comic Eternals, but it won't happen around the movie.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3441
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:15 pm

I dunno, if I were Hasbro and saw the intense hate or at best disinterest expressed constantly about those Eternals figures, I wouldn't be too anxious to make figures of the characters movie collectors will have no interest in either.
User avatar
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles - City of Fallen Angels
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:01 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm

With a few exceptions, the comic Eternals just haven't had an impact in the MU. They've caught on less than the Inhumans, who barely have a presence in ML. I can see Sersi and Starfox getting made in Avengers waves.
Bleuboia wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 pm
Captain Marvel finally got her comic book figure.
When did female Captain Marvel finally get a comic figure? Her comic figure was YEARS ago. Was she somehow reoffered but I don't remember them doing so? I suppose Binary counts, but it's practically a different character and certainly a different identity.

We often talk about how movie characters SHOULD get comic figures around their movie time, but it doesn't always seem to happen. Black Panther was one of the exceptions. Shang-Chi's comic figure happened a year (or was it two?) before hand. I think the comic Guardians of the Galaxy boxed set was close to movie time. Maybe off a year or so. So maybe TheSameIdiot is right, and comic figures are typically a little off timing wise when compared to their movie releases.
User avatar
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5891
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm

If the movie is good the figures will likely sell once people have seen the movie. Right now I have zero interest in the figures, but I could absolutely see myself wanting them after I see the movie. People being disinterested in characters they're not familiar with is both predictable and expected.

I still haven't seen Shang-Chi and the same applies to the figures for that movie aside from Shang-Chi himself who I'm familiar with from the comics. But I'm going to see it next weekend, and after that I can absolutely see myself trying to scrounge them up.
User avatar
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:23 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:39 pm
In Hasbro's last round of interviews, they mentioned that Marvel/Disney doesn't like confusing the cinematic properties and comic properties. You may get comic Eternals, but it won't happen around the movie.
They do mix characters, but just not the newer ones like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, and now The Eternals. Black Panther looks identical to his comic version. They gave the Eternals a facelift to match their movie counterparts, so I can't even see us getting the original Eternals that the few fans they have want to see.

I could see them being exclusives so no one can see them in stores in person because that's where people would get confused. They're giving preference to movie versions because they most likely get a budget just for that and they don't have a huge comic fanbase. I don't think anyone would get confused with Sersi and Makkari now because they made them identical to the actresses in the comics now. The rest are copies of the movie too. They just don't wear those lame MCU costumes.
User avatar
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3441
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 am

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:28 pm

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm
If the movie is good the figures will likely sell once people have seen the movie. Right now I have zero interest in the figures, but I could absolutely see myself wanting them after I see the movie. People being disinterested in characters they're not familiar with is both predictable and expected.
I agree. And even though I'm ready to really enjoy the movie, I'm still not going all in with the figures. I'm firmly drawing my line somewhere, damnit. Nothing against anyone or anything, just would prefer to use the money and space on some of the stuff coming later on Disney Plus and so on. But I'm sure you're right, the figures will be more appealing once the movie is out. But I imagine Hasbro still sees the wave as a big gamble, and not sure comic figures will be as appealing even on the movie figure's worst day. I could see them slipping an Eternal one at a time in other waves though. Not just to space out any possible loss but also because they enjoy hooking people with team building then drawing that out.
User avatar
Bleuboia
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm
With a few exceptions, the comic Eternals just haven't had an impact in the MU. They've caught on less than the Inhumans, who barely have a presence in ML. I can see Sersi and Starfox getting made in Avengers waves.
Bleuboia wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 pm
Captain Marvel finally got her comic book figure.
When did female Captain Marvel finally get a comic figure? Her comic figure was YEARS ago. Was she somehow reoffered but I don't remember them doing so? I suppose Binary counts, but it's practically a different character and certainly a different identity.

We often talk about how movie characters SHOULD get comic figures around their movie time, but it doesn't always seem to happen. Black Panther was one of the exceptions. Shang-Chi's comic figure happened a year (or was it two?) before hand. I think the comic Guardians of the Galaxy boxed set was close to movie time. Maybe off a year or so. So maybe TheSameIdiot is right, and comic figures are typically a little off timing wise when compared to their movie releases.
They make many figures with little to no impact on the MU, but put them with other characters and BAFs that people want.

Yeah, they just made 3 inhumans despite people thinking that was way too much for them. I'm not saying I'm surprised about what Hasbro is doing. It just seems like a missed opportunity to shove them in now that they have the cast of Game of Thrones and Maleficent propping their characters up. Yeah, Binary is the only Carol figure we got. She just got one of those minifigures in her classic Ms. Marvel costume. Thats gotta confuse people.
e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: What's next for ML in 2020-2021

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:46 pm

I pre-ordered all the Eternals I could. Given Marvel's track record, I am confident I will love the movie so no hesitation

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”