MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:38 am

Seeing that Ben Reilly Spider-Man in that glass case is giving me heart palpitations. And the paint deco is as vibrant and as gorgeous in its final production form as it was when it was still in the paint masters stage. That really makes me happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:42 pm

panther10 wrote:
Seeing that Ben Reilly Spider-Man in that glass case is giving me heart palpitations. And the paint deco is as vibrant and as gorgeous in its final production form as it was when it was still in the paint masters stage. That really makes me happy

I agree. I've held off on every Marvel Legends iteration of this costume, because there has always been something off about it that I can't put my finger on. In this case, it's just...beautiful! It's the exact figure I've always wanted. Really looking forward to it.
panther10

MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:29 pm

The Gill-Man wrote:
panther10 wrote:

I agree. I've held off on every Marvel Legends iteration of this costume, because there has always been something off about it that I can't put my finger on. In this case, it's just...beautiful! It's the exact figure I've always wanted. Really looking forward to it.
I think it has something to do with the correct distribution between the red and the black. On the Hasbro version the red was kind of muted in tone and the symbol looked huge because the torso was so lean. So it almost looks like the black elements from the symbol and web pattern were overtaking the figure. The Mafex on the other hand looks just like the original art from the comics. The symbol is leaner, the web pattern is thinner and the red parts have a chance to breathe. Compare the images below.

PlastikAddict
Customized

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:06 pm

I have very little attachment to Ben, but I'd buy a figure of his hoodie Scarlet Spider (or Kaine's Scarlet Spider costume) in a minute.
Afro_Samurai
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:22 am

All of the new reveals look great. I just hope Mafex can get these out by next year, cuz they are always behind schedule. The wait is killer.

X-Factor Cyclops toy evolution.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:30 am

PlastikAddict wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:06 pm
I have very little attachment to Ben, but I'd buy a figure of his hoodie Scarlet Spider (or Kaine's Scarlet Spider costume) in a minute.

Same. Scarlet Spider is one of my favorite comic costumes.

It's one of those costumes I first saw on a Spider-Man Classics figure at KB Toys. Spider-Man in a hoodie. I didn't need to know anything else.
panther10

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:04 am

I love the scarlet spider costume too but I have more of an emotional attachment to Ben’s Spider-Man costume. I first discovered the character almost by happenstance right around the time that he just adopted the Spider-Man mantle and Peter was retiring from the role. So this was pretty serendipitous because I was already collecting the toys and watching the Spider-Man animated series every week, so my mom decided to put together a pull list from the marvel mail in subscription service of just Spider-Man titles as a combined Hanukkah, Christmas and birthday gift. And I think there were close to 9 books at the time.

So not including Untold Tales, and the Spider-Man Adventures comic, I was getting like 6 Spider-Man books a week along with miscellaneous spidey related mini series and they were mostly all about Ben. He even appeared in Venom comics around that period and I just soaked it all up like a sponge. It got to the point where I was enjoying Ben as spidey in the comics, more than Peter as spidey in the tv show. And when toys of Ben came out they immediately became my primary spidey.

I eventually went back and read all of Ben’s misbegotten adventures as the Scarlet Spider after he died, and they were good….if not a little repetitive. But yeah I thoroughly enjoyed that character and loved those comics back in the day. I know a lot of people still roll their eyes at the clone saga but to me it was the glory days of spidey. I’m so glad that Ben is taking over for Peter again as the webhead. I’ve been looking forward to this day since the 90’s. Although I hope he goes back to the classic spider-Ben costume once the book has gotten off the ground. That new costume is an unmitigated stinker.

gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:40 pm

panther10 wrote:I love the scarlet spider costume too but I have more of an emotional attachment to Ben’s Spider-Man costume. I first discovered the character almost by happenstance right around the time that he just adopted the Spider-Man mantle and Peter was retiring from the role. So this was pretty serendipitous because I was already collecting the toys and watching the Spider-Man animated series every week, so my mom decided to put together a pull list from the marvel mail in subscription service of just Spider-Man titles as a combined Hanukkah, Christmas and birthday gift. And I think there were close to 9 books at the time.

So not including Untold Tales, and the Spider-Man Adventures comic, I was getting like 6 Spider-Man books a week along with miscellaneous spidey related mini series and they were mostly all about Ben. He even appeared in Venom comics around that period and I just soaked it all up like a sponge. It got to the point where I was enjoying Ben as spidey in the comics, more than Peter as spidey in the tv show. And when toys of Ben came out they immediately became my primary spidey.

I eventually went back and read all of Ben’s misbegotten adventures as the Scarlet Spider after he died, and they were good….if not a little repetitive. But yeah I thoroughly enjoyed that character and loved those comics back in the day. I know a lot of people still roll their eyes at the clone saga but to me it was the glory days of spidey. I’m so glad that Ben is taking over for Peter again as the webhead. I’ve been looking forward to this day since the 90’s. Although I hope he goes back to the classic spider-Ben costume once the book has gotten off the ground. That new costume is an unmitigated stinker.

I started reading Spidey comics just a little earlier than you. The first issue I bought was the first issue with Ben where they were playing it like a mystery still. I read through the entire Clone Saga and then stopped once Peter became Spidey again.

Highly recommend you to check out the Clone Saga omnibuses Marvel has been releasing. They have the entire story collected in four massive volumes.

panther10

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm

gpmartin414 wrote:
panther10 wrote:I love the scarlet spider costume too but I have more of an emotional attachment to Ben’s Spider-Man costume. I first discovered the character almost by happenstance right around the time that he just adopted the Spider-Man mantle and Peter was retiring from the role. So this was pretty serendipitous because I was already collecting the toys and watching the Spider-Man animated series every week, so my mom decided to put together a pull list from the marvel mail in subscription service of just Spider-Man titles as a combined Hanukkah, Christmas and birthday gift. And I think there were close to 9 books at the time.

I started reading Spidey comics just a little earlier than you. The first issue I bought was the first issue with Ben where they were playing it like a mystery still. I read through the entire Clone Saga and then stopped once Peter became Spidey again.

Highly recommend you to check out the Clone Saga omnibuses Marvel has been releasing. They have the entire story collected in four massive volumes.

Unfortunately most of those volumes are out of print so I’m a little late to jump into those waters. However I do already have the entire epic collection run that marvel published about 10 years ago so I think I’m okay

pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Afro_Samurai wrote:
All of the new reveals look great. I just hope Mafex can get these out by next year, cuz they are always behind schedule. The wait is killer.

The talking 1991 one was my first X-Men toy, and I look back at that thing with such fondness.

Makes me wonder if Mafex is going to give us the original X-Factor before ML does.
garrettlcustoms
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Afro_Samurai wrote:

The talking 1991 one was my first X-Men toy, and I look back at that thing with such fondness.

Makes me wonder if Mafex is going to give us the original X-Factor before ML does.
Not if their delay pattern holds. So far, they're tied AFAIK, both began with Cyclops and that's been it.

They may put up more of the members faster but there's just no way they can keep up with Hasbro's actual output, especially with how often and how far off things get delayed. We'll probably get the Hasbro lineup a good while before Mafex gets them all to their buyers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:13 pm

garrettlcustoms wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
Afro_Samurai wrote:

Not if their delay pattern holds. So far, they're tied AFAIK, both began with Cyclops and that's been it.

They may put up more of the members faster but there's just no way they can keep up with Hasbro's actual output, especially with how often and how far off things get delayed. We'll probably get the Hasbro lineup a good while before Mafex gets them all to their buyers.

Gonna be honest with you, I was more just making a (bad) joke about how long we've had to wait so far for anything more than Cyclops and Iceman from Hasbro.
MarvelLegendsMan
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 pm

pr1983 wrote:
garrettlcustoms wrote:
pr1983 wrote: The talking 1991 one was my first X-Men toy, and I look back at that thing with such fondness.

Gonna be honest with you, I was more just making a (bad) joke about how long we've had to wait so far for anything more than Cyclops and Iceman from Hasbro.
Does that even count? The Iceman figure looked terrible and that stand base was a poor excuse for an Iceman accessory.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Littlemidget312
CROM!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Really hope the Psylocke blends well with ML. It’s beautiful.
VeganDiet
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:54 pm

panther10 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:04 am
I love the scarlet spider costume too but I have more of an emotional attachment to Ben’s Spider-Man costume. I first discovered the character almost by happenstance right around the time that he just adopted the Spider-Man mantle and Peter was retiring from the role. So this was pretty serendipitous because I was already collecting the toys and watching the Spider-Man animated series every week, so my mom decided to put together a pull list from the marvel mail in subscription service of just Spider-Man titles as a combined Hanukkah, Christmas and birthday gift. And I think there were close to 9 books at the time.

I love seeing stories like this, and seeing people get so delighted over these figures.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”

Recent Topics