MARVEL SELECT - and the new X-Man is... (p.347)

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
CaptainRon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

MARVEL SELECT - Illuminati Super Skrull and Miles Morales

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:50 am

Apocalypse is back up for preorder on Amazon (from Amazon proper)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Re: MARVEL SELECT - Illuminati Super Skrull and Miles Morales

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 am

This is why I can't get behind MS's human sized characters, with the scale being all over the place. Plus they're really hit n miss. They're big characters imo really bring out their best for some reason.

Also, a Spider-Man should never be hindered in articulation. Ankle rockers should just be a standard in this day n age.

It's too bad because when MS is good they're really good. They're duds leave you scratching your head though.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:51 am

NORM wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:21 am

Looks like someone hit Miles in the face with a shovel. Repeatedly.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 am

100ptsofarticulation wrote:
This is why I can't get behind MS's human sized characters, with the scale being all over the place. Plus they're really hit n miss. They're big characters imo really bring out their best for some reason.
I'd wager that MOST of their human sized character are actually great figures, with duds coming in only here or there. They've also made a few not so great big figures, you're just looking at them with rose tinted glasses because that's the section of MS that you're most interested in.

NORM:
You could definitely look to McFarlane for some arms, possibly legs as well. Miles also looks kinda in scale with wrestling figs, so maybe that's worth a try as well.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:56 am

I shouldn’t have to do that much work to improve basic parts on a figure, which essentially amount to about 30-40% of the figure itself. Nothing is going to really improve the proportions considering how big that noggin is and how wide the chest is either. Might as well scrap the whole thing if that much needs correcting. There isn’t a part that’s worth saving.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:17 am

What happened here, I think, is that they wanted to make a Miles in the style of Spider-Verse, but instead of fully comiting to the animated style, they did a weird in-between figure that's not realistic enough to stand with the normal releases, nor stylized enough to be a stand in for movie Miles.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:32 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 am
I'd wager that MOST of their human sized character are actually great figures, with duds coming in only here or there. They've also made a few not so great big figures, you're just looking at them with rose tinted glasses because that's the section of MS that you're most interested in.

NORM:
You could definitely look to McFarlane for some arms, possibly legs as well. Miles also looks kinda in scale with wrestling figs, so maybe that's worth a try as well.
I'm really not though. Overall MS is great, I think they have way more good than bad. It's just when they're bad, they're really bad.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm

It's just when they're bad, they're really bad.
That's so true.
100ptsofarticulation
Glass Half Empty

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:51 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
That's so true.
I was trying to pinpoint which is the worst and I think it might be Deadpool. He really epitomizes when they're bad they're bad. His size is egregious.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:51 pm
Shinigami_PL wrote:
That's so true.
I was trying to pinpoint which is the worst and I think it might be Deadpool. He really epitomizes when they're bad they're bad. His size is egregious.
But Deadpool is still a functional figure with fair articulation and plentiful accessories. I definitely don't think he's the worst. I do agree he's too big. Cable being a bit smallish in comparison contributes to that.

There are early figures that we can blame on just being early figures, like Wolverine, Cyclops, classic Captain America, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, all of whose sculpts are decent, but articulation is antiquated. Most of the early figures fall into the statue category but still have excellent sculpts (like Punisher, Ghost Rider, Green Goblin, She-Hulk, Black Cat, Emma Frost, Spider-Woman). And there are even new figures that use antiquated articulation like Human Torch and Silver Centurion but still manage to be good and great respectively.

But I think there was a turning point with Colossus, because thereafter, figures were either surprisingly impressive or mind-blowing. LIke, I didn't think this kind of figure was DST's goal. And when subsequent figures didn't meet that level, it was so much more disappointing.

Even their big figures became more than just sculpts (like Thing, Abomination, Juggernaut, Rhino) and started adding articulation in smart and useful ways (Destroyer, Hulk, Titanium Man). And there are SO MANY GOOD HUMAN FIGURES. Aforementioned Silver Centurion, Colossus, Rogue, Psylocke, Avenging Cap and Hawkeye, Mighty Thor, Loki, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Taskmaster, Sandman, Venom, Carnage, Agent Venom, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos, are all excellent. Then there are some that just fall in the middle somewhere like classic Hawkeye, Black Widow, Sabretooth, Beast, Gambit, Nightcrawler. There are certainly very few duds.

But when they're bad, they're BAD.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:56 am
I shouldn’t have to do that much work to improve basic parts on a figure, which essentially amount to about 30-40% of the figure itself. Nothing is going to really improve the proportions considering how big that noggin is and how wide the chest is either. Might as well scrap the whole thing if that much needs correcting. There isn’t a part that’s worth saving.
Yeah you not wrong,if the head were smaller it would be better
VWBeetle
Customized

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:35 pm

Really surprised Beta Ray Bill hasn't popped up on Amazon yet.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:59 am

Reveals at NYCC?
chen11237
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:26 pm

Any news?
chen11237
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:20 pm

Don't tell me that the vision's accessories are only like that in the picture of NYCC?

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”