Cricuts and Vinyl Pondering

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Professor
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Cricuts and Vinyl Pondering

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Hello to the esteemed customizing community!

My wife got a cricut vinyl cutter a few months ago and has been loving it. She does t-shirts, wine glasses, mugs, etc. It got me thinking...

Would vinyl cut-outs be easily applied to action figures? I am working on a custom Angle and figure if she could make the halo logo for his chest and apply it, it would certainly look neater than my paint job. I am not great with painting... Not sure exactly how the transfer process works.

I was just wondering if anyone else has attempted this? If so, how has it turned out?
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Re: Cricuts and Vinyl Pondering

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm

I've never tried that, but that would likely look cool for Angel, too. :lol: :lol:
MetalLuna
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:12 am

I saw someone on YouTube use one and my first thought was how it would work in customizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pulpy fiction
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Yes these do work, my wife is cricut crazy and got me using it very often. I've done layered symbols, decals, costume details or "piping" all sorts of stuff, and it works. I've done iron on for materials in One:12 style soft goods, and stick on for regular plastics.
Usually by cleaning a surface with rubbing alcohol, there is no problems, on some pieces i have painted, and don't want to damage the paint, I've adhered them without cleaning the surface. On some plastics I've had to adhere it to, there has been some difficulties getting it to stay, or even peeling, but its an easy fix using multiple solutions between super glue, spray adhesive or finishing varnish. I haven't posted any customs in years, which I've since started to use the cricut a lot. I just used it to put chevrons and cobra symbols on some classified customs I was working on this week. Maybe this is the kick in the butt to actually post something to show you what I'm talking about.
Long story short, it's a great tool in the arsenal.
Truwe 3161
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:19 pm

I use my wife's all the time for my Batman logos. I do find that the Oracle 651 vinyl found at Michaels adheres a lot better than the Cricut vinyl and really sticks when you apply heat to it (run a air dryer over it for about 30 seconds).

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”