Army Spray paints and sealer question

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
lefthook
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Army Spray paints and sealer question

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 am

Found a new-ish tabletop game store that sells these Army Paint brand spray for miniatures. Got the Daemonic Yellow and all was well with typical use and application but the parts I painted became tacky after a few days. I was planning to paint over it so I thought if this is the case,

If it paint it with the Army Paint, seal it -- will this step prevent the tackyness?
then paint over, would that work?

What is the best sealer to use nowadays anyway? I used to use the krylon but havent in a while.. suggestions?
TOK3N_CUSTOMS
HULK SMASH!

Re: Army Spray paints and sealer question

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:59 pm

I've used Army Painter paints but I've never used their sealer. The best stuff I've used as far as sealers go is Mr Super Clear, it's a bit pricey but it's really really good stuff

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:04 am

What were the parts made of that you painted?

I have experienced enamel paint becoming tacky and remaining tacky because the plastic was still venting. Sealing didn't help with the tackiness just made a bigger mess to strip off.

I even tried using a heat gun to try and bake the paint to no avail. :rolleyes:
lefthook
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 am

Lower legs off ml fig.. Whats that Abs material? I didnt think the Army Paint was enamel. Its not super tacky but it def feels like to the touch. Paint is dry.

Tok3n thanks for suggestion. Ill look into that
thor333us
CROM!

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:19 pm

I've only ever used army painter matte varnish it was fine on most things except marvel select thor, his cape got sticky and had to sand off and the flesh parts refused to flatten even thought the same paints on a old cap shield flatten nicely. That brand may have reactions to some plastics.

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”