Anyone ever tried using paint toy companies use…

Ask your How to Questions here. Wanna know what paints to use? Wanna know what's better: Super Sculpey or Apoxie? Wanna know about Super Glue vs Elmers? Have a WIP that you are working on? Then post here.
Dusty
Super Poseable

Anyone ever tried using paint toy companies use…

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:49 pm

I’ve been a customizer since 2004 and always used acrylics I despised them and enamels as the were sticky or just not nearly as good as paints that toy companies use.
Has anyone ever gotten a hold of their type of paint, if so, where would I go to get some?

K.
matchu778
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Anyone ever tried using paint toy companies use…

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm

Pretty sure it’s unsafe for home use. I believe it needs to be brought to a certain temp before it becomes safe to handle. Might be wrong but I vaguely remember someone else asking this once before.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:21 pm

matchu778 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm
Pretty sure it’s unsafe for home use. I believe it needs to be brought to a certain temp before it becomes safe to handle. Might be wrong but I vaguely remember someone else asking this once before.
Yeah - from what I recall, the type of paint used for making toys isn't even legal to sell in the United States due to the far more strict regulations concerning toxicity and off-gassing. And as late as 2008-2009, Mattel was getting fined for the paint containing lead.
You're not gonna get this type of industrial-grade paint as a regular person in the US.
Dusty
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 am

So what kind of paint could I use that wouldn’t crack like acrylic or be sticky like enamels? I’m not planning to give my custom to a kid, but I want to do photos with poses and not worry as much about paint peeling or chipping off easy.
Thanks for the info BTW.
Dusty
Super Poseable

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 am

Also, anyone know any action figure that comes with blue/white lightning accessories? I’m thinking of ordering some random ones from Amazon or buy endgame Thor and sell the figure without the lightning.
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Dusty wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 am
So what kind of paint could I use that wouldn’t crack like acrylic or be sticky like enamels? I’m not planning to give my custom to a kid, but I want to do photos with poses and not worry as much about paint peeling or chipping off easy.
Thanks for the info BTW.
Good quality acrylics will do the trick. Just make sure you're thoroughly cleaning the figure first, and it always helps to sand down the joints and to use a primer to help the paint adhere.
Rider
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:01 pm

The best customizers here in Brazil use vinyl paint. It doesn't chip at the joints and is quite resistant. You would probably want to apply it with an airbrusher and beware of the fumes.

At least here you can only buy buckets of it, but it's probably easier to find them in the United States in smaller recipients, maybe even in spray cans.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:38 pm

If your paints are chipping it sounds like you're using cheap acrylics. I first used cheap stuff from Michaels craft section on my 3.75" SW figures and yes, they chipped like crazy. I don't really customize anymore but the last couple that I did using Testors turned out great, no chipping or anything else.

If you are going to do more extensive customizing you're going to need to put in the time to do the prep work. Complete disassemble and sanding all the joints.

Speaking of paint, have you guys noticed there seems to be a switch to working around the paint issue whenever possible and just casting the various parts in the actual plastic. Maybe I'm just seeing it with McFarlane, but they are using overlays in their sculpts. Like glove gauntlets will be cast in the proper plastic then fitted over the forearm sculpt. The nice thing is you don't get paint bleed from improperly masked parts.
Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:50 am

Vallejo Acrylic Paints and Testors have been good but it all comes down to preping the figure well, sanding the joints and then sealing the rub areas of the joints with either brush on super glue or Future Floor Polish.

Can you get away with redying the figure using fabric dye?
I used blue dye on the white Sharon Carter bodies after removing the flesh neck piece to make generic SHIELD females.

Make a mess. So don't do it in the kitchen or with a pot you or more importantly your wife likes. :rolleyes:
Discogod
prefers hot chicks to Fwooshers

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:12 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:38 pm
Speaking of paint, have you guys noticed there seems to be a switch to working around the paint issue whenever possible and just casting the various parts in the actual plastic. Maybe I'm just seeing it with McFarlane, but they are using overlays in their sculpts. Like glove gauntlets will be cast in the proper plastic then fitted over the forearm sculpt. The nice thing is you don't get paint bleed from improperly masked parts.
I've started using parts that are cast in the appropriate colours whenever possible as an extra barrier against paint rub, and now I've started casting parts on a larger scale I always try and colour the polyurethane to get it as close as possible to the final colour.
I've also started sculpting certain things seperately and adding them to the figure once painted - for example, I'm working on a figure right now that wears a very specific garment. Instead of sculpting directly onto the figure and having to either mask some awkward areas off or paint around it, I wrapped clingfilm around the figure, sculpted onto that in a semi-flexible compound and once it's all painted I can slip it onto the figure. It's a bit more effort initially, but it saves a ton of time when painting.
Faceless
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 am

Yes, for what I know, it's highly toxic. Usually applied on factory with a spray pistol, and at least in theory, used with a heavy filter mask. Some might need even heat to cure, I am not sure.

Now, as a customizer, I very carefully choose the base figure to avoid paint rub in the maximum (its not like in the old days when very few good base figures were available, now you can get nearly any in any colour), and cast a good bit of parts to simply avoid paint rub. When there is no way round (usually with things like MOTUC figures, were you cannot get the figure you want due to their astronomical price) I just cut, and sand very strongly, and apply two very fine layers of paint, that makes it much stronger than one thick layer, and using high quality acrylics, the ones the wargamers use for their small figurines.

Return to “Custom Shop Talk”