McFarlane Toys Avatar 2 license

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
Plastic0_phantastic0
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys Avatar 2 license

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:23 pm

I think mcfarlane folks are dying to show some evil-tactical na'vis maybe they are the main bad guys in the new movie (s)? Maybe they are not allowed to do so yet...

Nevertheless an army builder soldier pack with interchangeable vests, helmets, weapons...to go with the larger scale vehicles seems like a no brainer right?

Do you guys think these are selling ok to justify the line moving forward?
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Having snagged the CET-Ops crab I'm kinda crushed by Todd's incompetence at making it unable to fit a pilot. His need for visual accuracy over playability strikes again to make a terrible toy. This thing could be 18th Toy of the Year if only it could be played with.

It's too soon to determine whether it's selling well-enough to continue. We'll see that judgment made in jan once post-movie release Xmas sales are known.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:40 pm

Not defending McFarlane toys but getting approval on the Avatar stuff isn’t easy. So the blame may not fall on McFarlane.
AdrienVeidt

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:26 pm

I can't fathom how 'pilot can't fit in pilot seat' could possibly be Disney's fault. I can't fathom how any party would willingly choose it.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:32 pm

More that screen accuracy is more important than fudging it for playability as you suggested.
snakeyjones
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:39 pm

I realize not everyone has seen the MCU, but in the first Iron Man film when Obadiah Stane is in the Iron Monger suit, it's pretty clear there's no way he'd actually fit in there. Im assuming thats the case here; when we see the crab mechs in the film the camera will probably just focus on the pilots from the waist up.
PresidentJuggernaut
Avengers Assemble

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 pm

There's plenty of room for a figure to fit in there, they just needed to position it a bit differently so they could sit right. But since there isn't any indication that a pilot or even a generic human soldier to put in there is coming, it doesn't matter!
AdrienVeidt

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:56 pm

None of that tracks for me. The control stick is obviously designed to sit a pilot in a kneeling stance, and poor CGI scaling from 2008 in Marvel Studio's first movie has *nothing* to do with the idea that James Cameron would okay a badly-designed vehicle that can't seat a pilot. The fact that it has TWO opening hatches is all the indication that a figure is supposed to go in it, because there's no reason to blow money on those additional molds.

The only scenario that makes sense is that Todd is crap at scaling stuff well - as his company has been notorious for being for several years now - and made the Quaritch figure too big to fit. I have no idea why you guys would want to deflect blame for Todd McFarlane for this single instance against his known history.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:31 pm

I just got the new Jake Sully (the one from Avatar 2), and I am very pleased with it. I bought a Hasbro "deluxe" Hasbro figure at the same time (deluxe only in name and price), and you get so much more bang for your buck with McFarlane.

It isn't perfect, I would like up down wrist on his right hand, and for the knife holster not to be split, but they did a lot more right than wrong. I've sat him on my desk this week, and have had a blast posing him. Whether I like the second movie or not, I liked the first well enough, and this figure is just fun.
Plastic0_phantastic0
Avengers Assemble

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:00 pm

What Mcfarlane does perfectly is distribution...all these toys in time for the movie release EVERYWHERE around (and i live in Europe, most stores do not know what a McF, neca, figure are...) Well played Todd

I have been tracking sales on amazon and it seems the figures keep selling out and being restocked (all but good ol' colonel...oh well) so i am confident we can get a third wave done. Most probably already in production but not allowed by Disney to be disclosed...i bet if todd had freedom he would ve made miles RECOM avatar the third figure of wave 2 instead of the marine na'vi guy.

I want those avatar commandos SO BAD
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 pm

so looking at the smaller version of the crabsuit, the pilot is sitting normally on the controls with his leg out.
kind of hard to see with the dark pants, but it should be a way the larger should do the same.
AdrienVeidt

Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:57 pm

I did the math figuring out Stephen Lang's official 5'10"/177.8cm height versus the Quaritch figure's 4.25"/10.8cm height and got 1/16.4629629629 as the scale. I've never heard of any company making 1/16th-and-a-half scale and I have to believe it's a screw-up on Todd's part. Please do check my math, y'all.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

McFarlane Toys Avatar 2 license

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:22 am

AdrienVeidt wrote:I did the math figuring out Stephen Lang's official 5'10"/177.8cm height versus the Quaritch figure's 4.25"/10.8cm height and got 1/16.4629629629 as the scale. I've never heard of any company making 1/16th-and-a-half scale and I have to believe it's a screw-up on Todd's part. Please do check my math, y'all.
No, youre right. Quaritch’s scale is definitely off. I do like the figure quite a bit other than that though:

NEW BATMAN, those were the images I referenced when I was trying to cram a pilot in there. Otherwise I probably would have just tried to lay a figure in there horizontally and called it a day.
AdrienVeidt

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Indeed, scale and ass-fugliest arms in existence issues aside I like Q enough to have gotten 4 of him for customs so far. It's a pain to rebuild his arms with MTF forearms and I've not mastered it yet; but his overall 'presence' is fantastic. It's a great build with a lot of innovative features (too many, really) and I'm eager for more humans in this line. It would be nice to get a good Sigourney Weaver head in 18th even if her figure ended up bad.
Reefer Shark
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 pm

Yeah, the arms are fugly, no doubt. They do have crazy functional articulation at least, and I really dig all the features and accessories this dude came with as well.

If we were to get a good Sigourney head out of this, that would be fantastic. Then maybe I could figure out a Ripley figure to put in my Hiya Toys power loader finally.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”