McFarlane The Princess Bride

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane The Princess Bride

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 am

spinc wrote: Well I have the Grealt figure and his swords are okay. A bit big but I don't mind.
Geralt's swords are horrible. They're too big. They're flat, plastic-gray, and the handles are hilariously oversized... like the handles were made from entire unworked tree stumps. BUT, what I was actually talking about was what Magnuz was saying; the trend right now seems to be really shapeless blades made of too-soft material that warps and droops.
These figures really demand to be posed in 'swords-out' poses that will look pretty terrible if the swords look more like pool noodles.

I still have an old McConan sword in my accessories bin. And damn that thing is nice. The blade is nicely detailed, correctly scaled, pointy, and super rigid. I can see the argument that it's also brittle enough that it could pretty easily break if you're not careful. But it's held up for what.. 15 years? whereas you go grab a Robin right now and his sword is a shapeless lump that can't support it's own weight right out of the box.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:11 am

I think that's because the multiverse figures can be bought by children, seeing that they're dc comics figures, so they made them softer plastic so they don't poke their eyes out. While other Mcfarlane lines are more based on adult properties, like The Witcher, so their plastic is harder, and the swords are pointy (I just painted mine a nice silver and they look great). However that's just my guess.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:13 am

Preorders are starting to roll out. Zorro's Roberts' sword looks pretty good, definitely much better than most McF weapons these days. Sure, the handle is really fat but it shouldn't be noticeable once he has it in hand.
https://news.toyark.com/2021/09/16/mcfa ... ive-444147
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:40 pm

The figures themselves look great, but the accessories are turning me off. I was already on the fence, and these accessories are light to put it mildly. No extra hands. Roberts and Iniego only co e with swords. And you can see the swords already drooping in the promo shots.
I will say, Fezzig with the peanut is pretty brilliant.
I just wish they went more creative on the others.
I love the movie, but this is not a $120 set of figures.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Wondering if these are a wave I can wait on to see if I can't catch them on sale or if they'll be scarce since they're such an odd set. McFarlane's distribution has been impressively decent IMO since I started collecting them this year. I definitely want them, but don't necessarily want to preorder $120 figures for a new line.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Pre-ordered. I'm clearly the mark for these figures...I might change my mind down the road but I'll decide later.
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Huh, I wonder why they're $25 each. That McF price point normally means it's a BAF wave. I'll hold off for a discount. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:01 pm

yeah i noticed that too, i wonder if it's some kind of license thing? i know with the dc movie figures are different but i wonder for this one they had to increase it by the studio?

i may have to hold out when it goes down to regular price.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 pm

I'd be way more interested in a complete set if these were 1/12 scale. I only preordered Inigo, since he's my favorite.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm

My guess on the price...he's anticipating a lower volume of figures produced here. He can keep DC figures at $20 because it's a potentially long running line. His margins don't have to be as great and a more affordable price pays off in the long run in a variety of ways. He's building customer loyalty by undercutting his direct competitor (Marvel Legends). He can also repaint his DC figures to recoup the upfront cost.

The Princess Bride is a limited scope line of figures. I could see us getting a wave 2 if wave 1 sells well but really, the line has it's limits. Repaints are extremely limited here. This price point probably represents the true cost of making figures these days. Hasbro has seen price hikes on all their figures and Todd has remained firm with $20 for regular DC and $25 for Build a Wave DC figures. I'm pretty sure he's cutting us a deal on DC figures.

For reference, his Spawn figures are also more expensive than his DC figures.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 pm

I don't mind the $25 price tag, since 95% of McF releases drop substantially in price a few months out. I'll pick them up at below $20 regardless of price hikes.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 pm

These don't look perfect, but I didn't hesitate to preorder. The price didn't even blip on my radar, I just figured everything costs more now. McF has been like the only company to keep figures at the $20 range though, so it must have something to do with the unique sculpts and license. I would LOVE to have Vizzini, Humperdink, and Count Rugen to call it complete. But I wouldn't say no to Miracle Max, Valerie, the Albino, and some ROUS in addition to my wave 2.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 am

What about Buttercup in the wedding dress? We can boo her forever. :)
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm

I can almost guarantee Todd will at least put out an unmasked Wesley. It's such easy reuse, only requiring a new head. Maybe even a "mostly dead" version with roughed up head, and ripped shirt/damaged shoulder complete with wheelbarrow Fezzig can push.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Aggro Ninja
Super Poseable

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 pm

Is it just me or were these removed from Amazon? My order is still there but if I click on them it goes to a dead page. I noticed because my order for them had “no image available” instead of thumbnails of the figures.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”