Valaverse: Action Force

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
MarvelLegendsMan
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Valaverse: Action Force

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 pm

fletch137 wrote:I'm glad this line is expanding the way it is, but now that we're several characters deep, does anybody else think they're starting to look a little same-y?

The military uniform appearance is kind of the draw here, but I have no idea who these characters are and couldn't tell you what a Blowback does that a Rollout doesn't.

I wish they'd post the file cards on the website. That'd probably help me connect with the characters.
I wonder if Bobby will kind of "recalibrate" his mindset judging by how Swarm has been the most popular figure. I enjoy the military figures, and I have a few, but some of them just look too similar to one another - or to GI Joe - to purchase.

Maybe a little more variety, a little more sci-fi, would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:17 pm

Getting closer, still!

Can't wait.
jakeekiss
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:02 am

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
fletch137 wrote:I'm glad this line is expanding the way it is, but now that we're several characters deep, does anybody else think they're starting to look a little same-y?

The military uniform appearance is kind of the draw here, but I have no idea who these characters are and couldn't tell you what a Blowback does that a Rollout doesn't.

I wish they'd post the file cards on the website. That'd probably help me connect with the characters.
I wonder if Bobby will kind of "recalibrate" his mindset judging by how Swarm has been the most popular figure. I enjoy the military figures, and I have a few, but some of them just look too similar to one another - or to GI Joe - to purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The one thing I really do want from this line (outside of the upcoming weapons packs) that I haven't gotten yet is the Swarm body that is more a generic trooper like the delta, riot, or urban troops. Same sci-fi bits, maybe a different head, and a non yellow color scheme. Preferably black or grey so they can serve as generic scifi troops.

Because right now all I'm grabbing the line for is the basic troopers and Steel Brigade (nostalgia), and I've got two deltas and two Spec Ops, and those have basically convinced me to get rid of my old Resaurus/Plan B special ops figures since I've finally got a decent modern replacement.
jakeekiss
Avengers Assemble

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:05 am

Threash wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:00 am
Are the long delayed wave 1 figures from bbts part of the batch with QC issues?
I finally got my wave 1's in. Some spec ops troopers, gear/weapons packs, and a Steel Brigade and aside from having some frustration getting the gear packs on the troopers, and the AK and MP5 being weirdly oversized, no other issues.
fletch137
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:58 am

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
I don't know about that. Being unapologetically military is really this line's reason for being (and I find it crazy ironic that the setting for his characters is a near-future post-apocalypse).

Joe Classified was strongly critiqued for adding sci-fi elements. Then again, I'm surprised to hear the Swarm are the most popular, so what do I know?

Hopefully, as he builds up his library of parts he'll be able to offer more distinctive yet still accurate military characters.

Side note, I remember a year or so back Bobby saying he had a new villain faction coming that he was very excited about. Anybody know if anything's come from that?
dangerjoe
I wish I had super powers

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:42 pm

fletch137 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:58 am
MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
I don't know about that. Being unapologetically military is really this line's reason for being (and I find it crazy ironic that the setting for his characters is a near-future post-apocalypse).

Joe Classified was strongly critiqued for adding sci-fi elements. Then again, I'm surprised to hear the Swarm are the most popular, so what do I know?

Hopefully, as he builds up his library of parts he'll be able to offer more distinctive yet still accurate military characters.

Side note, I remember a year or so back Bobby saying he had a new villain faction coming that he was very excited about. Anybody know if anything's come from that?
It is the Crimson Shadow, they have been hinted at for awhile
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:34 am

So, for me, I enjoy GI Joe Classified because I got to know the Joe characters through their file cards, the Marvel comic and the RAH cartoon. For this line - since there is zero existing connection I have to be blown away by the execution for me to bother wanting it. I don't need a bunch of dudes in fatigues and web gear. This is honestly where going more generic would probably pay off. I'm more likely to get a couple of basic grunts or SEALS or whatever as canon fodder for my Joe display than I am to dive to deep into his named characters.

And that's why the Swarm figures are my favorite and the ones I've ordered. It's why I'm not clamoring for a Duster or Rollout but have ordered multiple Swarm Troopers, Scarabs and Swarm Sentry - those guys feel like a faction that could square off with Joe and Cobra. At $32 each I have to really be drawn in and the named soldiers mostly seem like knock off GI Joes. And Knock Off joes are OK - who didn't supplement their 1/18th Joe collection with CORPS figures or whatever - but not when they cost MORE than the Joes.

Still, I'm not sad these all exist but it will be interesting to see what direction future waves take based on sales from the first waves.
MarvelLegendsMan
CROM!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:31 am

PantherCult wrote:So, for me, I enjoy GI Joe Classified because I got to know the Joe characters through their file cards, the Marvel comic and the RAH cartoon. For this line - since there is zero existing connection I have to be blown away by the execution for me to bother wanting it. I don't need a bunch of dudes in fatigues and web gear. This is honestly where going more generic would probably pay off. I'm more likely to get a couple of basic grunts or SEALS or whatever as canon fodder for my Joe display than I am to dive to deep into his named characters.

And that's why the Swarm figures are my favorite and the ones I've ordered. It's why I'm not clamoring for a Duster or Rollout but have ordered multiple Swarm Troopers, Scarabs and Swarm Sentry - those guys feel like a faction that could square off with Joe and Cobra. At $32 each I have to really be drawn in and the named soldiers mostly seem like knock off GI Joes. And Knock Off joes are OK - who didn't supplement their 1/18th Joe collection with CORPS figures or whatever - but not when they cost MORE than the Joes.

Still, I'm not sad these all exist but it will be interesting to see what direction future waves take based on sales from the first waves.
I'm a huge fan of this line so far, and I'm not even a big GI Joe fan. The figures from the line I own so far:

Swarm (with jet pack) x2; pre-ordered 2 more from the SDS wave
Scarab x2
Bone Collector
Kerak
Trigger
Desert Rat
Riot Trooper with accessory pack x2
Special Ops Trooper
Steel Brigade Night Ops x2

I've also pre-ordered Eclipse and the Dorkside exclusive Infantry Trooper, and will probably pre-order Killswitch and at least one female troop builder.

But like you, I don't really go for most of the named soldiers. They're just kind of...bland. I appreciate the authenticity of some of the military qualities of the line, but some of these figures are just not that interesting to look at. So I, for one, would like just a touch more in terms of sci-fi. Don't abandon the authentic military angle, but maybe strike a slightly less lopsided balance would be my hope for the line.

Sent from my KFTRPWI using Tapatalk

Darthgaar
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 am

The more sci-fi designs in Action Force are nice but I'm into Action Force most for the military stuff. It's the same thing that turned me off to the original Joe series, as soon as they moved into more fantasy sci-fi & bright colors, the less I was interested in GI Joe. Battle Force 2000 was the epitome of that garbage. For characters I don't know, I buy the ones that I think look cool, the same reason I bought the Swarm or Scarab Troopers, don't know anything about them but I like how they look enough to buy.

What I want to see in the future are SEAL diver type figures, dudes that look more like PMCs, different types of helmets, and web/vest gear.
yorick_skirata
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:13 am

For me, it’s exactly the sci-fi aspect that hooked me (although I haven’t received any figure yet, I have 6 preorders and 2 figures on my pile of loot).

My selection:
Scarabs, Swarm Trooper, Swarm Sentry, Steel Brigade (female, male and Night Ops), Pandora and Kill-Switch.

The hived themed figures have quite a android/robot feeling, imo.

I see the Steel Brigades like some sort of near-future dystopian troopers/police.

Pandora seems like a Mad Max style ravager character.

Kill-Switch is the only one that seems more contemporary to me, but I really loved the facesculpt and she reminds me of Agent 355.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:56 am

The army builders have been the main draw for me. I bought so, so many troopers. I'm not a fan of the Trigger, Desert Rat, etc. style. They seem...boring? However, Kerak, Bone Collector, & Condor are fun and I am looking forward to Pandora & Killswitch. I was out of JOE by the time the line was shifting into sci-fi, but I really enjoy the Swarm Troopers & Scarabs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jakeekiss
Avengers Assemble

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 am

Yeah, for me the troopers were everything. Of the signature characters the only ones who really speak to me are Kill Switch and Pandora, though I'm waffling on whether to get either.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:43 am

My favorites are the Swarm and Scarabs along with the Steel Brigade and basic troopers. And Bonecollector is awesome. The Garrison trooper is very cool, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corn Viper
HULK SMASH!

Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:36 pm

Picked up a few Valaverse weapon packs for my Joes. I really like the harder plastic Valaverse uses verses the gummy stuff Hasbro utilizes. My Spirit's gun barrel started drooping within two weeks of opening, so I switched his gun with an Action Force one. I like the weapons, but they feel weirdly flat. The flatness really surprised me when handling them, but its not something you notice displayed thankfully.
thewyldman
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Corn Viper wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:36 pm
Picked up a few Valaverse weapon packs for my Joes. I really like the harder plastic Valaverse uses verses the gummy stuff Hasbro utilizes. My Spirit's gun barrel started drooping within two weeks of opening, so I switched his gun with an Action Force one. I like the weapons, but they feel weirdly flat. The flatness really surprised me when handling them, but its not something you notice displayed thankfully.
You'll prefer the more gummy plastic Hasbro uses for weapons after Spirit falls over or if you pose the gun wrong.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”