RC's Customs and Mods: Scarlet Witch (WandaVision) pg.3

Looking for custom figures? Wanna display and get feedback on your finished custom toys? You found the right place. So show off your sculpts, models, customs, and other goods.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: RC's Customs and Mods: Marvel Girl pg.3

Sun May 23, 2021 1:09 am

killphil wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:19 pm
RoyalCollector wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 pm
Thanks for looking Ikariniku! I'm trying the same process on afew fodder heads to see how it works out.
killphil wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:16 pm
Looks amazing! So much better than the stock figure. You really know how to bring bad to mediocre figures to top tier levels.

About your MS Psylocke mod, do you have any other photos of how well she scales next to ML's in just a vanilla pose? Also, if it's not too much to ask, would you mind sharing how you went about shortening her? I'm seriously considering buying one and doing the same thing. It looks so much better than the ML.
Thanks killphil.

Below is a brief graphic of what I did. The black blocking is how much I removed, and the lines are where the natural joints are. I removed the pieces with a craft saw and just evenly cut. For the upper thighs, I had to dremel in new holes, and once I did carefully it's just a boil and pop as the upper leg is a soft plastic. At this point there was abit of overhang, so I sanded the upper thighs to match to the width of where it meets the leg so it's all smooth. You'll need a bit of paint after this to match the skin tones as the plastic underneath is a lighter beige. For the ankles, I cut out the chunk, leaving a small measure of plastic near the upper ankle swivel so it can easily glue down on top of what is left toward the ankle rocker. Again you'll need to sand it all together and maybe put a small bit of apoxie to bridge any gap. I found Turbo Dork's blue raspberry metallic colorshift acrylic a good match for painting the blue on the suit. It sounds like alot if you're new to customizing but it's fine if you correctly plan, measure everything, saw slowly, dremel out the upper thigh joint slowly, maneuvering to make a subtle mushroom shape inside so the thigh joint pops in.

She comes in just about the size of the Buckcap mold after all is said and done:

Thanks, RC. Have a fair bit of customizing and modding experience. Never heard of Turbo Dork paints. They as good as model master's? My local Hobby Lobby stopped carrying them so I'll have to look online to buy this brand.
Yes! They are honestly the foremost in many metallic paints! It may not be obvious, but I'm using various purples of Turbo Dork's in Psylocke's hair and a red color on her lips. If you see my Phoenix and Dark Phoenix repaints, the metallic's they use are also Turbo Dork.

Not affiliated, but honestly, glowing reviews from the 15+ paints I've ordered.
killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 23, 2021 7:05 am

No, I could definitely tell that you repainted her face/hair. Looks much nicer than the stock glossy sheen seen in the pic above your last one. I'll have to stock up on some of those. what did you use for the flesh? Or did you have to mix it to get the right shade (as it usually is 90% of the time trying to match ML's skin tones). Still can't seem to quite match that dirty skin tone seen on figures like Psylocke and Caliban Gambit (I get close, but always just a bit off...) as seen in these Gambit pics where I attempted to match his flesh on the left staff gripping hand:

Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm

You mention dremelling a mushroom shaped hole. I get the point, but what add-on piece of the dremel do you use for that?
killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Wed May 26, 2021 8:19 pm

Tips with a ball at the end work best for me. I have this set and this is the tip I use.

killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Wed May 26, 2021 8:41 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:

Thanks killphil.

Below is a brief graphic of what I did. The black blocking is how much I removed, and the lines are where the natural joints are. I removed the pieces with a craft saw and just evenly cut. For the upper thighs, I had to dremel in new holes.

Another way Ive found success with re-inserting articulation is to keep the area you cut out. The part of the upper thighs you blacked out. That is the area I assume that contains the upper thigh swivel socket.

Sculpt that part until it is thin enough to work as an "adapter" i.e. it still functions for articulation but is now small enough to re-insert into the upper thigh. Bore out a hole in the upper thigh and insert the socket into that. Hope that made sense.
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 27, 2021 11:56 am

killphil wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:05 am
No, I could definitely tell that you repainted her face/hair. Looks much nicer than the stock glossy sheen seen in the pic above your last one. I'll have to stock up on some of those. what did you use for the flesh? Or did you have to mix it to get the right shade (as it usually is 90% of the time trying to match ML's skin tones). Still can't seem to quite match that dirty skin tone seen on figures like Psylocke and Caliban Gambit (I get close, but always just a bit off...) as seen in these Gambit pics where I attempted to match his flesh on the left staff gripping hand:

For flesh tones I start off with the Tamiya flesh, and add browns, reds and whites til I get the right balance.
Yoda36 wrote: You mention dremelling a mushroom shaped hole. I get the point, but what add-on piece of the dremel do you use for that?
Sorry for the late reply,as killphil said I use bits similar to the ones pictured, and angle them inside so it creates the mushroom shape.
killphil wrote:
RoyalCollector wrote:

Thanks killphil.

Below is a brief graphic of what I did. The black blocking is how much I removed, and the lines are where the natural joints are. I removed the pieces with a craft saw and just evenly cut. For the upper thighs, I had to dremel in new holes.

Another way Ive found success with re-inserting articulation is to keep the area you cut out. The part of the upper thighs you blacked out. That is the area I assume that contains the upper thigh swivel socket.

Sculpt that part until it is thin enough to work as an "adapter" i.e. it still functions for articulation but is now small enough to re-insert into the upper thigh. Bore out a hole in the upper thigh and insert the socket into that. Hope that made sense.
Yeah I get you, sounds like another solid alternative. I may try this if I ever revisit MS Betsy. When MAFEX comes out that could be the end all for me with afew face touchups.
killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 27, 2021 3:07 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:
Yeah I get you, sounds like another solid alternative. I may try this if I ever revisit MS Betsy. When MAFEX comes out that could be the end all for me with afew face touchups.
I'll be eagerly awaiting to see what you can do with that Mafex Psylocke. I haven't pulled the trigger on her yet. That head just looks too small, and something about the way the face is painted seems "off" to me. And the hair is too flat or something. Like it's matted to her head. Might be why the head is looking too small to me? IDK
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 27, 2021 3:34 pm

killphil wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:07 pm
RoyalCollector wrote:
I'll be eagerly awaiting to see what you can do with that Mafex Psylocke. I haven't pulled the trigger on her yet. That head just looks too small, and something about the way the face is painted seems "off" to me. And the hair is too flat or something. Like it's matted to her head. Might be why the head is looking too small to me? IDK
I was definitely gonna replace or atl east resculpt part of the hair., maybe even do it with the craft wire like my Selene custom as her and Betsy's styles weren't worlds apart. I agree with the face paint too, I did this mock up afew months back on what I'd potential modify it to, something closer to Jim Lee's art:

Original:

Edit:
killphil
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Yeah, those changes would be much better. I think the hair parted to her left swoops back too much. Seems like it should hang down more and her left ear be mostly covered.

Although, there are images that are closer to the hairstyle on the Mafex, so I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

I think the MS really nailed it. Maybe someone will offer a scaled down MS head made to fit the Mafex.
Yoda36
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:12 pm

killphil wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:19 pm
Tips with a ball at the end work best for me. I have this set and this is the tip I use.

Never saw this set, thanks for the tip!
Greatly made customs by the way ;-)
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: RC's Customs and Mods: Scarlet Witch (WandaVision) pg.3

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:33 pm

A repaint to Wanda and some new hair!

The hair was McFarlane WW84 Wonder Woman with some cutting and sculpting to accommodate the crown.
The rest is all the original figure. Darkened the reds and gave parts a metallic finish, and tried to make it all abit more accurate to the on screen costume, with some liberties taken to make it pop.

Return to “Custom Galleries”