Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

MAY THE TOYS BE WITH YOU! - Star Wars Black series both 6 inch and 3 and 3/4, vintage, POTF2, whatever! If it's a toy related to Star Wars then come talk about it!
Benedict
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Star Wars Black 6 inch General Discussion

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Aleks wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:04 pm
Benedict wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:11 pm
Well, it could be that this Echo was in a whole season of an animated show (not even counting his Clone Wars popularity) and likely to sell very well.
Vanth was in 1 episode of Mandalorian, and they’re unsure how well he’ll sell, taking into consideration that other characters that appeared in more than one episode still have their figures on shelves. Deluxe pricing could be hedging their bets.

This is all assuming the reasoning for the deluxe price is obvious, after all heavy Mando just came with his jet back and big blaster and was $30 and people were happy to pay that.

Or it could be the obvious thing of; plastic costs have nearly doubled and shipping costs have trebled. A few extra dollars per figure sounds pretty fair to me.
1) It doesn't really matter if it's Echo or some other character. Even Omega has more new and unique accessories. All new sculpt. It didn't help Jar Jar Binks figure that much. It can be found for like 10-12 bucks if you try. I am more than sure that most casual fans won't even try to get it at first and will wait for a sale. In the end, they will simply lose more making him "deluxe". Like, I'm not gonna buy it. Only if he goes on sale. And I would buy it right away if he was 22.99.

2) Heavy Mando is all new sculpt, big cool looking mandalorian, has a big gun and came out at the right time.

3) "Plastic costs have nearly doubled and shipping costs have trebled". Sounds ...unconvincing, especially when we have other figures as an example.

It just feels like they were happy with Deluxe Boba Fett sales and decided to make exactly the same scheme, but with less accessories.
Well…you’re wrong about nearly everything, but I can see this discussion is going nowhere with you.

Happy collecting, hope you don’t have to pay more than you deem appropriate.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:26 pm

Bubs wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:11 pm
PSPS13 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Reefer Shark wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:04 pm
Yeah, like Drakonis said, the metal part on the backis integrated on his head.

Here’s how the back of his helmet is designed:

Ah, brilliant! Thanks for the info, guys. Really appreciated. That looks perfect, then. Never realised the back of his head was so flush and slim like that with the helmet on, always thought it flared more like the front. Works so well it makes you wonder why there was any doubt it could be achieved. Cool.
That extra piece on the bottom seems to come out of the rest of the helmet when Echo puts it on. Almost like an automatic strap.
Yeah, the back, bottom 'tube-y' shape's the most confusing bit, isn't it? (At least from my perception of it on the show.) I always thought that was part of the slightly physics-defying aspect of the helmet- always present, impossible to genuinely slip over his Lobot-esque, techy earmuffs- rather than a permanent part of the back of his head, as I understand it might be on the figure now.
Be really, really interesting to see it properly explored and clarified in review.
Appreciating the engineering efforts, though, because 'nomad' Boba's left leg looks like an inventive attempt beyond the norm, too.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:33 pm

I got the Wal-Mart Bad Batch Shock Trooper Clone and the Amazon Mandalorian Artillery Stormtrooper in the mail today. Then, I checked my e-mail, and Bad Batch Wal-Mart Crosshair (Empire version) has shipped.

So, hopefully Rampart isn't far behind.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:36 am

Slaker wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:44 am
There was earlier discussion about "the Star Wars tax" in lego, but I can't help but wonder if Olyphant got some favorable deal for his likeness as well. I got the sense that he was cherrypicked for the role, and maybe knowing this, he was more demanding in negotiations. All baseless speculation though.
I don't think the figure even looks like Olyphant - the art on the side is definitely not his face. It looks like his face generified to NOT pay any kind of likeness fee.

I highly doubt Disney would bring any actor into a major franchise at this point who would not give them likeness rights - they don't need that precedent or hassle. The only person who I think MIGHT have not signed away their likeness is Billie Lourd based on zero merchandise and her mother's decades-long battle trying to get paid for her face on everything. That is the only example I can see Disney possibly letting slide.
PSPS13
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:59 am

JPC wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:36 am
Slaker wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:44 am
There was earlier discussion about "the Star Wars tax" in lego, but I can't help but wonder if Olyphant got some favorable deal for his likeness as well. I got the sense that he was cherrypicked for the role, and maybe knowing this, he was more demanding in negotiations. All baseless speculation though.
I don't think the figure even looks like Olyphant - the art on the side is definitely not his face. It looks like his face generified to NOT pay any kind of likeness fee.

I highly doubt Disney would bring any actor into a major franchise at this point who would not give them likeness rights - they don't need that precedent or hassle. The only person who I think MIGHT have not signed away their likeness is Billie Lourd based on zero merchandise and her mother's decades-long battle trying to get paid for her face on everything. That is the only example I can see Disney possibly letting slide.
It's supposed to all be taken care of in the initial contractual negotiations before accepting a role, yeah. (I can only speak for certainty regarding comics, but I've been led to believe toys are an even higher priority to get signed off at that stage than comic likenesses, so...)
An absolute megastar, like Downey Jr, might- might- get right of approval because he's the sort to micro-manage his perception (Tussauds has him taller than reality), but most actors sign off the likeness when they finalise taking the role. It's weird that this urban myth has proliferated that actors are being paid extra here there and everywhere for toys and merch because it's miles away from the truth. Been included in their contracts for years. Cumberbatch even claimed he was hesitant to consider the role of Doctor Who because of signing away his appearance for lunchboxes (though I guess Marvel paid better). And that was after Doctor Who had learned to wrap up those rights the hard way because Eccleston had right of approval and dismissed some comic art, and Barrowman even had every head redrawn in a comic relatively recently because of the contract from the same period. More recent contracts cover EVERYTHING. Especially with Disney involved. Beyond old contracts and absolute mega stars the only likely exceptions would a timed clause. The lapse of time could be the only plausible reason we might not be able to get Whiplash legally- despite everybody claiming expertise on that, there's no way his contract, that he complained massively underpaid him, allowed for any right of merchandise refusal or approval.
So whenever people say a likeness is weak to avoid paying: that'll be wrong 99.999999% of the time. It's generally much simpler: bad paint application.
Mahtion
Customized

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:48 am

Rampart and Crosshair shipped from Walmart today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 am

Benedict wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Well…you’re wrong about nearly everything, but I can see this discussion is going nowhere with you.
Happy collecting, hope you don’t have to pay more than you deem appropriate.
Of course I am wrong, and you are 100% right, it should never be discussed (even if this is all just speculation and not some facts). I guess, you really know nearly everything about Hasbro. But sure, this discussion is going nowhere since few extra dollars per figure sounds pretty fair to you :wink:
MickJohnson
Super Poseable

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:27 am

Looking closely at this image:

That's not a trigger finger. What the hell is this poodoo, Hasbro?

Everything else is just fantastic though.
BCizzle
Customized

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:41 am

Darth_Drakonis wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:43 pm
These Black Series Wal-Mart exclusives are all figures they need to sell limited quantities of on Pulse.

At least let your Premium members have a chance at them. I was lucky enough to get pre-order for everyone but Rex... but it wasnt easy. Rampart was the only one that actually stayed up for longer than a minute!
They are pretty ridiculous. There are so many store exclusives nowadays, and they get snatched up online and barely make their way to stores, only to be snatched up again. Walmart is the worst, but there are Target and Walgreens figures that are very tough to get, too. I got to stores and barely see even the main line, much less any exclusives.

I try to keep track of things, but I didn't even know about the Amazon Artillery Stormtrooper until it just shipped and scalpers are hawking it for $50 on Amazon. If there are too many holes in my collection I will end up quitting collecting any of it. Not there yet, but I've been thinking about it.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:47 am

Loved the reveals. I can’t wait to complete the Bad Batch team with Echo and Omega. They both look great. Echo is particularly impressive. Wish I could get Imperial Crosshair someday.

Jedha Stormtrooper looks cool. I’m always in for Stormtroopers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:01 am

So I know all these Walmart Black Series exclusives are shipping... but has anyone spotted one in the wild at Walmart?
Rishi_Eel
Super Poseable

Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Darth_Drakonis wrote:
So I know all these Walmart Black Series exclusives are shipping... but has anyone spotted one in the wild at Walmart?
Someone on reddit claims to have found a Crosshair in the wild, but that's all I've seen so far. Since all the preorders are dropping I have to imagine they'll be showing up soon, but who knows honestly.
The_Kilted_Fett
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm

MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:14 pm
The_Kilted_Fett wrote:Got shipping notice for Overpriced Rex & Imperial Crosshair.

I think I'm gonna return the Rex...
If you really don't want it, I'll take it off your hands!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Darth_Drakonis wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 pm
The_Kilted_Fett wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:01 pm
Got shipping notice for Overpriced Rex & Imperial Crosshair.

Wait wait wait... I will buy the Rex off of you!
Sorry, guys, my kid called 'dibs'.
Darth_Drakonis
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:20 pm

The_Kilted_Fett wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm
MarvelLegendsMan wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:14 pm
The_Kilted_Fett wrote:Got shipping notice for Overpriced Rex & Imperial Crosshair.

If you really don't want it, I'll take it off your hands!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Darth_Drakonis wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 pm
The_Kilted_Fett wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:01 pm
Got shipping notice for Overpriced Rex & Imperial Crosshair.

Wait wait wait... I will buy the Rex off of you!
Sorry, guys, my kid called 'dibs'.
If it wasn't for those meddling kids...
The_Kilted_Fett
Avengers Assemble

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:30 pm

Rishi_Eel wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm
Darth_Drakonis wrote:
Someone on reddit claims to have found a Crosshair in the wild, but that's all I've seen so far. Since all the preorders are dropping I have to imagine they'll be showing up soon, but who knows honestly.
Walmart is crapshoot.
My Transformer RED figs wave 1 shipped like 2 months after being spotted everywhere. I bought the 2nd wave in store & cancelled my pre-order.

Return to “Yavin 4: The Unofficial Star Wars Toy Board”