G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
barbecue17
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:03 pm

I got my set of these in the mail this week and overall I'm quite happy with them. Stalker is awesome and definitely one of my favorites of the year. You can tell it's Stalker, but the upgrades like the functional holsters, more modern weapons, and the new color scheme definitely improve, or at least modernize, the vintage look. I like the scarf but it looks a bit bulk sometimes.

I like Tomax and Xamot but it definitely feels like you're buying two of the same figure in this series and it doesn't help that they're pretty much just the vintage/ 25th anniversary figures in 6 inch scale. Since they're villains in more unusual costumes, it doesn't bother me as much as it does when we get a G.I. Joe team member still dressing exactly like they did in the 1980s with no updates, but I wish they felt a bit fresher. I really wish Hasbro had made them a 2-pack with some extra gear or something. I'm also disappointed that they just have the reused MP5 from the movie Baroness figure. It's a great accessory with the removable magazine and suppressor but something new would have been very welcome. It would have been cool for them each to have a matching weapon and then their own unique weapon as well.
User avatar
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11870
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:30 pm

So, here's what I think the alternative to releasing Tomax and Xamot as separate characters in the line would have been. Release him as a deluxe with the extra set of shoulder pad/sash and extra head - Charge $30+ for it and make most people buy 2 anyway. I think I prefer the individual release to that strategy which would have felt more like a money grab than this.
User avatar
pulpy fiction
Avengers Assemble
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: http://www.pulpyfiction.carbonmade.com
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:14 am

Somebody brought me some gifts back from their trip to England, and I was amazed to get a Stalker and Xamot.
Xamot and Tomax for that matter are a perfect representation of the 80's figures. Some like that and some do not. I'm down to collect the retro as well as the updated or more sci-fi classified versions of these characters, so I was stoked to have 6" versions of these guys!
Xamot is great for posability. His joints move so smooth, have a great range of motion, and holds poses great. There is something about this plastic that feels perfect. Not too brittle, not too soft or gummy, the perfect amount of give. I hope all of the figures from here on out use these materials. His knife accessories are good, and a unique sculpt to the twins, but the guns are reuse from the movie baroness and don't have any historical reference to the twins, but at least they got some extra accessories, and at the end of the day they could easily go into another figure who could use it.
My only gripe on Xamot, and probably Tomax as well (as they are mirrored figures), is the shoulder pauldron and sash. It doesn't sit well and moves around too much, often covering up his cobra logo on his chest. I'm thinking about gluing it down into place.
Now for Stalker, I like him. His accessories are great, and he's got a good collection for a classified figure! His beret fits perfectly and stays on tight. The multipart components also fit together tight and snug. His harness sits and fits very well (I just wish the knife was removable). His articulation is pretty good, with a great range of motion. His torso articulation is especially good with amazing tilt to the hips and a better ab crunch than average. That isn't hindered by his harness.
The sculpt for his uniform is great, and a step up from the breaker/commando snake-eyes/beach head/ firefly body that this new body is similar to but like the 2.0 version of. These new boots are pretty good too. However, I'm not feeling his face. It shares traits with several other figures that make it look a lot like the faces for the classified Bazooka and Recondo. He looks old, for some reason, he reminds me of general Thunderbolt Ross from marvel. In my mind, it's off design to Stalker, but it is growing on me.
Now where Xamot had that perfect consistency of plastic, Stalker is made of much stiffer stuff. The arms are the hardest plastic of any classified figure. His legs are closer pliability to the average classified buck, but is still harder than average. The joints are stiff, in a good way, not overly stiff, but strong. Except for when his knees are in the closed vanilla pose. They have a bit of a rattle to them if you shake the figure and are loose, only in this position. Click it to the next rotation and it holds firm, but in a straight upright standing position, it takes work to get him to stand. I hope this is a specific problem to my figure, and not the whole line. My last gripe with this, and it bothers me more-so because this looks to be the buck they are going to use for the classic original 13 o-ring figures in classified from now on, as we have already seen the retro commando snake eyes using this body and harness, and I bet the upcoming Grunt will be as well. This figure suffers from action figure penguin arm syndrome, you know the one where because of the sculpt the arms don't go down to a decent natural potion to their sides without flaring out. I'm wondering if you heated popped and swapped with the arms from the breaker/snake eyes/and so on body or the top of the flint/duke/so on body's arms, it might rectify this problem. I like the lower arms better from this new body, and would still want to use them, but with the new pinless body, it makes it a bit harder to get them to swap to a new set of arms. Not too hard to do, or difficult, just more work. Might be worth it because they are pretty good. He's pretty good overall, just a few gripes. I know I'm probably going to make some modifications. The star of the line are the twins. I wish the whole line were made out of the same materials and had the smoothness and range of motion these guys joints' have. With the type of plastic these are using, the twins feel so durable!
User avatar
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11870
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:09 am

Total bummer... just got e-mails from Amazon that this wave is now not anticipated to ship from them until November. Sigh. The waiting isn't so hard when everyone is waiting - but when some folks have theirs in hand already it makes it harder to suffer through the delays.

I guess it could be worse, it could be the Target Exclusives...
User avatar
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NW PA
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:45 am

PantherCult wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:09 am
Total bummer... just got e-mails from Amazon that this wave is now not anticipated to ship from them until November. Sigh. The waiting isn't so hard when everyone is waiting - but when some folks have theirs in hand already it makes it harder to suffer through the delays.

I guess it could be worse, it could be the Target Exclusives...
November is actually a pull in from their original May 2023 date...
User avatar
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Los Angeles - City of Fallen Angels
Posts: 11340
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:01 am

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:04 am

November isn’t that far away. Just two months. And the figures could bump up again and be released before then. It doesn’t matter to me if someone else has the figures a few weeks or months before I do. Par for the course in this hobby.
User avatar
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:01 pm

pulpy fiction wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:14 am
...Except for when his knees are in the closed vanilla pose. They have a bit of a rattle to them if you shake the figure and are loose, only in this position. Click it to the next rotation and it holds firm, but in a straight upright standing position, it takes work to get him to stand. I hope this is a specific problem to my figure, and not the whole line...
I noticed that with my Stalker too. Might not be as much of an issue as yours, but there is definitely some rattle or play. If there are detents in the knee, the spacing might be slightly off or it's missing for a straight leg position.
User avatar
pulpy fiction
Avengers Assemble
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: http://www.pulpyfiction.carbonmade.com
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:07 pm

mrboshek wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:01 pm
pulpy fiction wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:14 am
...Except for when his knees are in the closed vanilla pose. They have a bit of a rattle to them if you shake the figure and are loose, only in this position. Click it to the next rotation and it holds firm, but in a straight upright standing position, it takes work to get him to stand. I hope this is a specific problem to my figure, and not the whole line...
I noticed that with my Stalker too. Might not be as much of an issue as yours, but there is definitely some rattle or play. If there are detents in the knee, the spacing might be slightly off or it's missing for a straight leg position.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, and with the pinless joints, i can't just heat and pop it off to investigate. I mean i like the look, but i also like to work on these figures, so it makes it a bit of a chore to do so.
User avatar
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: FL
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:38 am

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:49 am

pulpy fiction wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:14 am
Somebody brought me some gifts back from their trip to England, and I was amazed to get a Stalker and Xamot.
Xamot and Tomax for that matter are a perfect representation of the 80's figures. Some like that and some do not. I'm down to collect the retro as well as the updated or more sci-fi classified versions of these characters, so I was stoked to have 6" versions of these guys!
Xamot is great for posability. His joints move so smooth, have a great range of motion, and holds poses great. There is something about this plastic that feels perfect. Not too brittle, not too soft or gummy, the perfect amount of give. I hope all of the figures from here on out use these materials. His knife accessories are good, and a unique sculpt to the twins, but the guns are reuse from the movie baroness and don't have any historical reference to the twins, but at least they got some extra accessories, and at the end of the day they could easily go into another figure who could use it.
My only gripe on Xamot, and probably Tomax as well (as they are mirrored figures), is the shoulder pauldron and sash. It doesn't sit well and moves around too much, often covering up his cobra logo on his chest. I'm thinking about gluing it down into place.
Now for Stalker, I like him. His accessories are great, and he's got a good collection for a classified figure! His beret fits perfectly and stays on tight. The multipart components also fit together tight and snug. His harness sits and fits very well (I just wish the knife was removable). His articulation is pretty good, with a great range of motion. His torso articulation is especially good with amazing tilt to the hips and a better ab crunch than average. That isn't hindered by his harness.
The sculpt for his uniform is great, and a step up from the breaker/commando snake-eyes/beach head/ firefly body that this new body is similar to but like the 2.0 version of. These new boots are pretty good too. However, I'm not feeling his face. It shares traits with several other figures that make it look a lot like the faces for the classified Bazooka and Recondo. He looks old, for some reason, he reminds me of general Thunderbolt Ross from marvel. In my mind, it's off design to Stalker, but it is growing on me.
Now where Xamot had that perfect consistency of plastic, Stalker is made of much stiffer stuff. The arms are the hardest plastic of any classified figure. His legs are closer pliability to the average classified buck, but is still harder than average. The joints are stiff, in a good way, not overly stiff, but strong. Except for when his knees are in the closed vanilla pose. They have a bit of a rattle to them if you shake the figure and are loose, only in this position. Click it to the next rotation and it holds firm, but in a straight upright standing position, it takes work to get him to stand. I hope this is a specific problem to my figure, and not the whole line. My last gripe with this, and it bothers me more-so because this looks to be the buck they are going to use for the classic original 13 o-ring figures in classified from now on, as we have already seen the retro commando snake eyes using this body and harness, and I bet the upcoming Grunt will be as well. This figure suffers from action figure penguin arm syndrome, you know the one where because of the sculpt the arms don't go down to a decent natural potion to their sides without flaring out. I'm wondering if you heated popped and swapped with the arms from the breaker/snake eyes/and so on body or the top of the flint/duke/so on body's arms, it might rectify this problem. I like the lower arms better from this new body, and would still want to use them, but with the new pinless body, it makes it a bit harder to get them to swap to a new set of arms. Not too hard to do, or difficult, just more work. Might be worth it because they are pretty good. He's pretty good overall, just a few gripes. I know I'm probably going to make some modifications. The star of the line are the twins. I wish the whole line were made out of the same materials and had the smoothness and range of motion these guys joints' have. With the type of plastic these are using, the twins feel so durable!

Ok now tell me, how you really feel...
User avatar
pulpy fiction
Avengers Assemble
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: http://www.pulpyfiction.carbonmade.com
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:24 am

Night Wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:49 am
Ok now tell me, how you really feel...
:oops: :lol: HA HA! Real funny Mr. Jokey Smurf... Sorry, I saw you make a smurf reference in the Mcfarlane Avatar board, and it made me think of it.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42616
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:57 pm

So is this the next wave up? I also got the update from Amazon that at least Stalker and one of the twins was bumped to November. Feel like there's been a lull since Spirit/Stormshadow wave, but I guess that's just the average time between releases.
User avatar
madflava
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:03 pm

I'm actually fine waiting until November because I think we'll get some of the Target exclusive in Sept or Oct.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42616
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:53 am

Just got email that these three are coming by Friday!
User avatar
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5287
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:44 pm

Amazon is preparing to ship Stalker, Tomax, Xamot, & the Viper 3-pack.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

User avatar
The_Kilted_Fett
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Re: G.I. Joe Classified Tomax/Xamot & Stalker Wave

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:38 pm

Got the Amazon email for Stalker & the twins, nothing for the Vipers.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”





Recent Topics