G.I. Joe 3.75" Retro Line 2020-?

YO JOE! Whether it's the 6-inch Classified Series or 3.75 from various years, let's talk G.I.Joe!
canprime
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: G.I. Joe 3.75" Retro Line 2020-?

Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Comedian wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:01 pm
Threash wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:38 pm
mikeysee wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:55 am
When I sat down at my desk this morning we were just shy of 8000 backers. We've doubled it today. That is insane.

Great job o-ring fans!
With things like this there are a lot of people ok with it not funding, but if it does fund they don't want to miss out on it. If the rancor had funded it would have shot up a lot after the fact also.
Absolutely. That’s why it’s so important to hit the funding goal at least a day ahead of time but 3 or more days away is better. More of a chance for all goals. The ghostbusters pack had an early backer incentive as did the mattel wrestling ring. I’m betting that is a next step.

I assume that ketchup and mustard will be offered as a set around the time this ships.
great job everyone!

Side note: the counter going down for 4 hours hurt this. It robbed the Joe team of the funding live on their live stream and it cut the excitement of numbers going up fast. My belief is that it cost us the last tier. Everything would have hit earlier and the last push would have been to get 18,000.
I really hope Hasbro doesn't do the early bird incentives. Or if they are going to start doing them more regularly, don't have such a massive string attached to it.

What I mean is that for the Proton Pack's early bird incentive there was some fine print. It said you had to be a Pulse Premium member at the time of backing, AND at the the time of fulfillment. So depending on how long it would take to get the Proton Pack made and delivered, you might have to be a Pulse Premium member for 3 cycles. Now that may be ok for the US and UK, but in Canada being a Pulse Premium member is mostly just a $50 fee for early bird access. We don't get free shipping with, or without it. So that would make it even more expensive for Haslabs if Hasbro starts doing early birds regularly.
WildBill
HULK SMASH!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:56 pm

All that rumbling about teaching Hasbro a lesson to do better next time by not backing the Rancor most likely just taught them not to try again with the Black Series for a while to come. The lesson everyone should have been on top of teaching was to ignore the early bird incentive with the proton pack. It was a dumb cheap thing this time, but now that it did so well, they'll definitely do it again and, before you know it, it won't be some sit-in-the-box accessory, but a figure like, using the Skystriker as an example, the pit crew or good ol' Wayne Ruthel; some people will end up paying a FOMO tax because bustin' made other fans feel a little too good.

On a sidenote: do y'all think they'll have a contest for backers to choose Wayne Ruthel's codename or just do it in-house? If the pit crew had gotten unlocked then I think Ketchup and Mustard would have stuck with them and, in that case I'd say Ruthel's codename should be "Hot Dog", but if they're going to do a contest and we get to suggest names then we should all Boaty McBoatFace the hell out of it! Like Wayne "Co-pilot Wayne Ruthel" Ruthel or "Air Wolf" or Wayne "Party of Five: Season 3" Ruthel.

I uh... I didn't get too much sleep last night... ha!
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:45 pm

If we don't get some retro news soon, I may have to put all my Joes up for sale. Still don't have Storm Shadow, Baroness or Scarlet, Grunt and the Officers.

I want at least the core team if I'm going to keep them on display.

Congrats on those who backed the Haslab. That's awesome.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:59 pm

So happy the Skystriker went through. I backed when there was about 1 hour and 50 minutes to go. I'm so happy Scarlett and Ripcord got unlocked.

I remember getting home yesterday and at the time the Skystriker was at just over 11, 000 backers. So, I was just happy it was funded. Never dreamed 2 of the stretch goals would get unlocked.

Also, it was crazy because a couple of days ago on this thread I estimated with tax and shipping I may be paying about $300 for this vehicle. I didn't know the Hasbro Pulse Premium perk of free shipping applied to Haslab lol. I'd never backed a Haslab yet. So, I assumed since the items were always so much bigger for Haslab, that maybe the free shipping didn't apply.

But since it does, this vehicle and 7 figures came in just under $250!
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:49 pm

Super Camel wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:59 pm
So happy the Skystriker went through. I backed when there was about 1 hour and 50 minutes to go. I'm so happy Scarlett and Ripcord got unlocked.

I remember getting home yesterday and at the time the Skystriker was at just over 11, 000 backers. So, I was just happy it was funded. Never dreamed 2 of the stretch goals would get unlocked.

Also, it was crazy because a couple of days ago on this thread I estimated with tax and shipping I may be paying about $300 for this vehicle. I didn't know the Hasbro Pulse Premium perk of free shipping applied to Haslab lol. I'd never backed a Haslab yet. So, I assumed since the items were always so much bigger for Haslab, that maybe the free shipping didn't apply.

But since it does, this vehicle and 7 figures came in just under $250!
Congrats.

I backed one, and here is how lucky I am as a Canadian in the province of Ontario.

$229.99(US) Skystriker
$29.99(US) shipping
$33.80(US) HST (5% Federal Tax, 8% Provincial Tax)

Grand Total of $293.78(US)

After exchange rate I was charged $384.54 (Cdn) for the Skystriker. OOH-FA that is some sticker shock after the fact. However I am ok with the price as I expected nearly as much. I just wish we had gotten to the final tier as 9 carded figures would have definitely softened the blow a little more.

I also tell myself that the 7 figures work out to $175(Cdn) in value since the retro O-rings being approximately $20(US) each works out to $25(CDN). So I can, slightly, justify the cost more to myself with that. At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night. :drool: :mrgreen:

And in case anyone is wondering, I am being somewhat facetious. I am not stoked about the price, but I really did want this showpiece.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:53 pm

Oh and I forgot to say I am intrigued to see how they will handle packing all the carded figures in the package.

Emily(?) from the Joe team mentioned in a Youtube stream/interview that they would be putting the carded figures in a separate tray that would be on top of the Skystriker to prevent the cards bending, or being damaged during shipping.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 am

Damn! Thats crazy canprime.

I'm glad you got one though. The fact we're getting 7 figures definitely softens the blow, and I think we are all going to really enjoy this. Come Spring of 2023, you'll be so happy you got this. Granted you may freak out and slam your head repeatedly off a desk until then, as you realize you spent $384.54 Canadian for a set of toys you won't get for a year and 3 to5 months.

But come Spring man, concussion and all, you will be so f****** happy!
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:27 am

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:45 pm
If we don't get some retro news soon, I may have to put all my Joes up for sale. Still don't have Storm Shadow, Baroness or Scarlet, Grunt and the Officers.

I want at least the core team if I'm going to keep them on display.

Congrats on those who backed the Haslab. That's awesome.
I sort of assumed the retro line was dead when O-Ring joes came back on the menu.
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:32 am

We shall see. They also said they were going to re-release the first wave which didn't happen.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:14 am

I just assumed that the modern retro line is dead, but I have no idea. I only bought two figures, Scarlett and Stalker since nothing else seemed like an upgrade from what I already had. I bought a HISS and AWE Striker just for the appeal of the retro boxes. Even though I'm not too interested in the line, I'd be happy to see it continue.

As far as the Skystriker, a year and a half is going to be a long wait. I'm extremely excited about the O-ring figures and I hope we see a lot of them in 2022. I can't wait to get that Snake Eyes/Stormshadow 2 pack. I have a couple of the vintage v.1 Stormshadow, but I don't have a commando Snake Eyes and have wanted one for a while.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:54 am

Super Camel wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 am
Damn! Thats crazy canprime.

I'm glad you got one though. The fact we're getting 7 figures definitely softens the blow, and I think we are all going to really enjoy this. Come Spring of 2023, you'll be so happy you got this. Granted you may freak out and slam your head repeatedly off a desk until then, as you realize you spent $384.54 Canadian for a set of toys you won't get for a year and 3 to5 months.

But come Spring man, concussion and all, you will be so f****** happy!

Yeah it is what it is. I long ago accepted the reality of what a Haslab is going to cost us up here. I have the Sentinel, and I am waiting on the Razor Crest, Galactus, Victory Saber, and now the Skystriker. I also waited a long time for the Hot Toys Hulkbuster (v1), so waiting, and cost are things I have gotten used to in the past few years.

I wanted Unicron, but at the time I really didn't have the funds readily available, and it worked out to just shy of $1000(Cdn) when all said and done. So I passed. Now of course that would be a steal price to get him, but I find I don't really miss not having him.

Anyway, as to the Skystriker. As a kid of the 80s, MOTU, Transformers, Joe, Thundercats, etc. were my jam. Joe was probably number 1. I got the Flagg for Christmas, and had a ton of vehicles, including the Skystriker. So to get a properly updated Skystriker, with all those extras, even for a large price? I'm in.

As for the Retro line itself. I think it is safe to say the ME/25th style figures as retro figures is done, for now at least. Hasbro seems to have made it pretty clear they are doing O-ring going forward for the foreseeable future.
Threash
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm

The only thing that gives me any hope about the retro line is that they were wal mart exclusives, while the o-ring figures are all hasbro pulse.
mikeysee
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:40 pm

I kind of thought the retro line was a bit of a stopgap until they could get the o-ring line going. But then they went and did a few new sculpts for this last wave, didn't they?

I will say, it doesn't seem like they could have both the retro AND the o-rings going at the same time, and Emily seems to be pushing the idea of an o-ring revival. I doubt we'll see many in 2022 though, and I'm guessing most of the first releases will be re-releases similar to the Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes 2-pack. I've got most of the vintage stuff already so I'll be able to pass on those, but I can't wait for some new characters to come out. An o-ring of Kwinn similar to the ReAction figure would be great.
jonaskane
Avengers Assemble

Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:40 pm

chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:44 pm

Threash wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm
The only thing that gives me any hope about the retro line is that they were wal mart exclusives, while the o-ring figures are all hasbro pulse.
Hasbro's Joe team already confirmed the retro line is on hiatus for now while they focus on the o-ring figures as their Joe product in that scale. Said as much last month in one of those roundtable discussions they sometimes do with various fan sites/youtubers.

Return to “The Pit: The Unofficial G.I.Joe Board”