NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
TheRealSmallville
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:05 pm

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:I still don't understand. Are you able to buy the physical figure at walmart or are you buying a piece of paper with a code, and then choosing the figure when you get home?

I'm old and don't like this.
It sounds like you're buying an NFT (code) for 'Figure_A', then deciding if you want to have 'Figure_A' shipped to you immediately or if you want NECA to hold on to it. At any point over the next 2 years, you can have NECA ship 'Figure_A' to you or you can sell that redemption code to someone (wherein they would then be able to have the figure shipped) or you can trade the redemption code for 'Figure_A' to someone for a code for 'Figure_B'.

I think that's what this is. If you buy Renet, you can have her now or let NECA hold it for up to 2 years while you decide whether to keep her or sell her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AgentLionel
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 pm

I imagine their selling platform takes a cut off of each resale. This reminds me of Ticketmaster getting into the resale market-- now if you can't make a show, you can put your tickets up for sale in the Ticketmaster app and name your price for them. TM takes their cut twice, on the first sale and then on the resale. Ultimately this might be one of the first times a manufacturer has partnered with a retailer in order to take a piece of the secondary market. One of the many dark implications, if this is true, is that it incentivizes scarcity in production runs. If Turtle 1 sells for $32.99 retail, but tends to grab $60.99 on the secondary because the run was limited and it's a sought after piece, scalpers can essentially immediately create a scalper market in the same way hot Ticketmaster shows sell out in seconds and are immediately available for hundreds more. Of course, they can always do a rerelease a year or two later, and repeat on and off for hot figures.

I can't imagine this will really gain too much traction though. The figure community does not hesitate to unleash its wrath at even the smallest slight, let alone a slap in the face.
cmoney
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 pm

Is the "mystery box" aspect just relevant to whether or not you got a signed edition? I would hope no one involved would be so stupid as to think we're going to buy a box/code and THEN find out which actual figure we purchased.

I still feel like neither company can be trusted not to offer something "essential" in this ridiculous format down the line though.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:14 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:05 pm
S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:I still don't understand. Are you able to buy the physical figure at walmart or are you buying a piece of paper with a code, and then choosing the figure when you get home?

I'm old and don't like this.
It sounds like you're buying an NFT (code) for 'Figure_A', then deciding if you want to have 'Figure_A' shipped to you immediately or if you want NECA to hold on to it. At any point over the next 2 years, you can have NECA ship 'Figure_A' to you or you can sell that redemption code to someone (wherein they would then be able to have the figure shipped) or you can trade the redemption code for 'Figure_A' to someone for a code for 'Figure_B'.

I think that's what this is. If you buy Renet, you can have her now or let NECA hold it for up to 2 years while you decide whether to keep her or sell her.

I see. Thanks for the info. If this is truly the case I won't be participating in any fashion.
Popoman
CROM?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:59 pm

I just read the article and it's even stupider than I had originally thought. Wow. Huge waste of resources from any angle you look at it.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 am

We're evolving past collecting toys. Now we're collecting the idea of collecting toys. Next up: collecting the memory of collecting ideas.
smallvillefan
Customized

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:01 am

So, Neca is going to store an action figure for up to 2 years? Wouldn't that take up a lot of warehouse space? Why would anyone spend good money for something and not want the item in their possession? This sounds completely and utterly ridiculous!!
smallvillefan
Customized

Ibentmyman-thing wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 am
We're evolving past collecting toys. Now we're collecting the idea of collecting toys. Next up: collecting the memory of collecting ideas.
This
gray.496
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:11 am

For anyone still thinking this is a good idea and use of technology, just keep in mind who Neca has partnered with for this garbage.… Walmart

smallvillefan
Customized

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:20 am

gray.496 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:11 am
For anyone still thinking this is a good idea and use of technology, just keep in mind who Neca has partnered with for this garbage.… Walmart

Truth
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 am

smallvillefan wrote:
So, Neca is going to store an action figure for up to 2 years? Wouldn't that take up a lot of warehouse space? Why would anyone spend good money for something and not want the item in their possession? This sounds completely and utterly ridiculous!!
How is this any dumber than people buying multiples to keep carded and to trade? Some company is just now providing this as a service. We get to try it out for free and be the pilot guinea pigs with this drop.

It's perfect for scalpers and future flippers which, if we were to be honest, make up a large majority of folks in the toy collecting community.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 pm

It's dumber if they've now decided to provide a service virtually all collectors were willing to take on themselves at no expense. Which is why it likely won't be a "free" service since that makes no business sense. There's also only holding the product for 2 years (sounds like they might go longer for a fee) which doesn't allow much room for appreciation, if that's your thing (I've already voiced my opinion on how silly I think that tactic is, but if it's fun for those who do it I'm not going to judge). We'll find out when tomorrow comes and we see what the MSRP on these is. My guess is $40, but I wouldn't be shocked at $50. And I expect some fees to be mingled in as well, whether they're upfront and transparent is anyone's guess.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm

Misfit wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 pm
It's dumber if they've now decided to provide a service virtually all collectors were willing to take on themselves at no expense. Which is why it likely won't be a "free" service since that makes no business sense. There's also only holding the product for 2 years (sounds like they might go longer for a fee) which doesn't allow much room for appreciation, if that's your thing (I've already voiced my opinion on how silly I think that tactic is, but if it's fun for those who do it I'm not going to judge). We'll find out when tomorrow comes and we see what the MSRP on these is. My guess is $40, but I wouldn't be shocked at $50. And I expect some fees to be mingled in as well, whether they're upfront and transparent is anyone's guess.
The only thing I'm concerned about is if after buying the whatever we buy, and the time it takes to enter the dumb code in, is that going to risk me losing out on the figure? Cause I'll be doing all this while I'm out on the job tomorrow, so [email protected]#$ around with codes and all that is going to be a big enough pain.
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:59 pm

The lack of understanding of how this works alone is enough to show this is a dumb idea for the target audience.

No, you're not buying a chance to own the figure. You're buying THE FIGURE. The only way it's different is that you can opt to have the figure stored for you rather than having it shipped to your door. That and it's got an NFT tied to it.

If all you want is to pay money for an action figure you can hold in your hands just like you did way back in Summer 2022 then you can, you're just going to be paying extra because there's bullshit attached to it.
Psychography
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:34 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 am
It's perfect for scalpers and future flippers which, if we were to be honest, make up a large majority of folks in the toy collecting community.
Screw both of those groups. This idea is beyond stupid..

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”