Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:58 pm

He doesn't have any buck teeth. I should know, I do, lol.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:58 pm
He doesn't have any buck teeth. I should know, I do, lol.
Well, maybe not buck teeth... my point is, he shouldn't have lines/spaces between his teeth. That's exactly what was wrong with regular Mikey's alt head. They gave him jack-o'-lantern teeth.
I'm not trying to bash the figure or anything, I actually think Sewer Surfin' Mikey looks really good (probably the best of the wave). But I feel like they messed up with that head. Again.
At least the other head looks great.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:30 am

Well, I'll give them credit for not making him green, so he stands out from the NECA. But instead he kinda looks like uh...well...you know. Stuff.

mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:35 am

Yeah, the colors on him are just...weird.
At least Mutagen Man looks weird but cohesive in his unglowed variant state.
Definitely going to pass on this one.

Sent from The Void using My Incredible Mind

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 am

Mucksplooge. Sploogeman?

Doesn't look good, in any event.

I'm actually really finding myself disappointed in how Ace Duck turned out. The colors seem really off. The jacket should be a lot darker, so the whole figure looks like it lacks some contrast and depth in the paint. It almost looks like the colors are washed out.
CFFJR
Super Poseable

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Mucksplooge. Sploogeman?

Kcumman.

But yeah, that's... unpleasant.

The drippy boxart makes it worse.
LaserLips
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am

Anyone else bothered that Sewer Surfin' Mikey has yellow sleeves instead of the greenish color from the original?
BAT
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:56 am

Just received the Mousers and am disappointed with them. The difference in quality between the Neca and Super7 Mousers is staggering.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:21 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
I'm actually really finding myself disappointed in how Ace Duck turned out. The colors seem really off. The jacket should be a lot darker, so the whole figure looks like it lacks some contrast and depth in the paint. It almost looks like the colors are washed out.
I was thinking the same thing, the beak also lacks contrast with the rest of the head. Not that I ever had any interest in the figure, I just don't like Ace Duck in general. The NECA Ace Duck is probably one of my least favourite figures in the whole line.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:56 pm

LaserLips wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am
Anyone else bothered that Sewer Surfin' Mikey has yellow sleeves instead of the greenish color from the original?

The original cardback artwork had yellow sleeves and flippers, so maybe that is what Super7 was going for.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:26 pm

Muckman looks like the forgotten member of the Soggies.
KnightDamien wrote:
Mucksplooge. Sploogeman?

Yeah, I’m not feeling Ace. I don’t know if it’s the lighting, but the colors look off. I’m surprised they didn’t apply a wash to the feathers to bring them out. At least his cigar-chomping head survived the approval process.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:36 pm

Toy Bro Scratch review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZ8HPa ... nel=ToyBro

Absolutely 0 interest in the character but he does look pretty good.
Garlador
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:22 pm

Freditor wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:36 pm
Toy Bro Scratch review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZ8HPa ... nel=ToyBro

Absolutely 0 interest in the character but he does look pretty good.
Scratch is such an interesting figure because he was so hard to find. I imagine there isn’t a lot of nostalgia for the figure because so few actually had him, but this might be the adult wish-fulfillment of getting the one character you weren’t able to back then.

As a figure, I love how much personality it looks like he has with his accessories.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:04 pm

Garlador wrote: but this might be the adult wish-fulfillment of getting the one character you weren’t able to back then.
I think it's probably more adult wish-fulfillment of getting the one character you weren't able to get as an adult.
I'd hazard to guess most TMNT collectors barely knew that figure existed as kids. He's definitely more famous for being a figure that came out in the tail-end of the line and therefore just didn't end up in a lot of hands because most TMNT kids were starting to move on, or already had. So it's more about the adults that went back to re-collect the line and found that a few of them were just impossible to get.

Misfit wrote: Yeah, I’m not feeling Ace. I don’t know if it’s the lighting, but the colors look off. I’m surprised they didn’t apply a wash to the feathers to bring them out. At least his cigar-chomping head survived the approval process.
I like the cigar-head. I actually think the figure, before seeing any reviews, looks like it's fun and designed well enough. But it also just looks like they really messed up the colors and didn't give a shit. Which.. you know. .tracks for Super7.

Freditor wrote:, I just don't like Ace Duck in general
I'm kind of so-so on Ace, but I thought the renders made him look like he'd be a great figure to have in the collection. I did have, and often played with, the original. He's just never been one of my favorites. But making all of his colors look flat and washed out definitely doesn't make me want to pick him up. Maybe that shows how easily I can be swayed if it's not a character I really love -- knock it out of the park and I have to have it, but in minimal effort and I immediately stop caring.

As for Scratch... I feel like that figure confirms a lot of the problems I have with S7, and specifically I would guess the 4 Horsemen. Look at Scratch's knees. The fact that they barely allow any bend is a sculpting problem at the back of the knee. The lack of proper tilt at his bare foot is an engineering problem. Even looking at the design of the character, there's really no good reason at all why he doesn't have better head movement except for them just not being a good design studio. Who decided to attach the tail in a way that it only gets swivel movement? There's zero reason that shouldn't be able to hinge and move around a little more that it does. Who decided that the ball and chain would be permanently attached instead of allowing collectors to decide to display him in different ways?

I remember when Scarabus came out, man. It wasn't a perfect figure but it had so much stuff in it that was forward-thinking; swappable hands, swappable faces, very reasonable articulation for the time and that kind of figure, awesome paint. Fast forward and they're still using the same articulation set-ups or worse and can't even sculpt a figure that can utilize its own articulation properly. Either they got their heads so far up their ass that they think they are the greatest toy designers alive and don't need to improve, or they legitimately don't give a shit and are just cranking this stuff out way faster than they can do and still put quality and thought into anything. And I think it's the former. But it may be the latter. Either way, obviously those guys can make a pretty sculpt in their damn sleep. I am absolutely not denying their talent. They'd make amazing statues. The problem is that they seem to want to make statues and are saddled with -having- to throw in articulation that they don't even care about.
Purplesaurus Rex
I wish I had super powers

Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:27 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
I agree, the colors seem really flat to me. Maybe darker jacket and pants would help. It's a shame, he's the one I was really looking forward to getting from this wave.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”