Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:38 pm

Detrimental_Fig wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm
Genghis looks coked out of his [email protected]#$ mind. Not sure I like how they did him... Hm. I need to look these over a bit more.
That's why he has the sunglasses :lol:
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Detrimental_Fig wrote:
Genghis looks coked out of his [email protected]#$ mind.
I mean... it was the 80's man.
Neanderthal
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:10 pm

I loved that Ghengis Frog figure, I always considered him like one of the Battletoads. That Shredder should be a 5th figure of the wave, like the Metalhead repaind in wave 7, Were is General Traag?

I'm still anxious to see a Pizzaface figure, this line is the only place were we can get the crazy chef version. Neca won't make a figure of the chef version because he never appeared in the cartoon or anywhere else.

I don't really care for the version of him that looks like a giant piece of pizza.
ChrisLyne
Runs Around in Tights

Wish I could be more positive but this is a weak wave. A turtle variant was a given, Robotic Rocksteady an obvious choice after Bebop last wave, but a third (straight repaint) variant? That's too just too much. Yeah, the vintage line was variant heavy but at the pace this line comes out three in one wave (especially without the extra slot) is just poor character selection to me.

That said, Space Cadet Raph and Robotic Rocksteady both look really cool (love Raph's laser sai). Probably the highlights of the wave to me even though I don't get the variants.

Genghis looks a little too monstrous to me and I wasn't planning on getting the frogs so he's an easy pass for me but I'm glad he's in there. He's a big character off the vintage list.

Shredder is a fifth figure repaint slot only this wave we're not getting the fifth figure. The second head looks nice and I do like the silver but no way can I justify a re-buy for such a minor repaint. Toon Shredder seems like such an obvious and requested repaint it makes this one a bit of a head scratcher.

This will be the first wave where I pass on everyone. Ah well, more money for the NECA comic lines.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:15 pm

ChrisLyne wrote:
Ah well, more money for the NECA comic lines.
My thoughts exactly
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm

Genghis looks fantastic, as does Space Cadet Raph.

A Shredder recolor is less exciting. I wish this would have been a five figure wave since that was how they did Metalhead Michelangelo.

After all the delays and nonsense with this line, I haven't felt excited about it in a long time. Was hoping for a little better this wave.

With the news they gave us about Guerilla Gorilla/Sgt Bananas I'm starting to worry about how many of the classic figures they don't have the rights to.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:19 pm

Yes the 80s/90s toy version of Pizza Face is a must.
samhain2731
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:20 pm

Genghis Frog looks [email protected]#$ incredible.
I’m mad that there’s still no rat king and I wish I was interested in more than one figure from this wave but I’m so hyped about Genghis that I’m not that bothered. He looks AMAZING
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 pm

PantherCult wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:46 pm
Detrimental_Fig wrote:
Genghis looks coked out of his [email protected]#$ mind.
I mean... it was the 80's man.
Well he is dressed like something from Miami Vice, true.
terp_fan99
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Genghis looks cool and I like that Shredder more than the first one. No interest in the other two though.
DarEl82
Customized

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Genghis & Space Raph for me this wave. The latter is going with Samurai Leo & Surfer Mikey. Hope they do undercover Don in wave 9 so that the classic Playmates wave i loved as a kid will be completed.

This wave's Shredder is a miss. Would rather have a proper Toon Style Shredder if i'm honest & Robot Rocksteady is a miss too. Didn't order robot Bebop in wave 7 as i didn't have either as a kid. Saving a bit this wave so will put towards the next. Really hoping for Rat King & Traag.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:35 pm

I think I'm going to pass on the entire wave. This will be the first time passing on an entire wave from this line. I like Space Cadet Raph, and I like the Robot Rocksteady, but there is so much TMNT stuff coming out that I have to be pretty picky on what I collect. I only have so much room. I liked NECA's SDCC showings more, so I think I'll go with those.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:54 pm

Well, I said I hoped Super7 would provide an update on Waves 5 and 6 if they were going to solicit Wave 8, and looks like I got my wish:
Super7 wrote:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wave 5 (Krang, Leatherhead, Ray Fillet, Sewer Samurai Leo) - Delivered to port in Oakland. Waiting on product to arrive at Super7 warehouse.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wave 6 (Sewer Surfer Mike, Ace Duck, Scratch, Slash, Mousers) - Production finished at the factory. Product is on water for delivery.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:16 pm

Great news on Wave 5 being just around the corner! I loved Genghis as a kid so this one is a definite buy for me. Space Cadet Raph looks like so much fun with all of the great accessories! I passed on robot Bebop, so Rocksteady is also out for now. Not sure I'll be able to hold out once they are in hand though. Shredder doesn't do enough for me at $55. I'm really hoping Rat King, Traag, and *fingers crossed* Usagi are coming soon.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 pm

Well, that's certainly a wave. I definitely don't think it's as bad as some people seem to. I absolutely agree that choosing a straight repaint of Shredder as an in-wave figure rather than as an extra figure is baffling and probably makes the wave feel less impressive. If Traag, Usagi, or something was in this wave and Shredder was announced as the fifth figure, I think reactions would be way different. When you only have four slots, a whiffer like Shredder can put the stick on the whole wave, unfortunately. That being said, it's also possible something went wrong and a figure got dropped (problem with tooling, for example) and they just shifted Shred over from fifth figure to final figure in the wave just to keep the waves rolling out.

The big disappointment here is that this is another wave without King Lionheart. There should be much more outrage about this.

Thoughts in the FRAT.
Warning! FRAT! :

Shredder: Aside from him probably not really being a figure that should be taking up a regular wave slot? I mean.. he sucks? But he sucks in the way that the vintage Shredder sucks, so it's not really S7's -fault-. That's an important distinction. It's cool that they're shouting out to the old 'silver/blue' thing. That's a neat call back. The painted weapons look cool. They've done some work to differentiate this figure from the old one beyond 'his armor is silver this time.' I appreciate that they did that.
But the line is still young, and this seems like a phenomenally poor choice all around. Going with a deep-cut pure repaint in wave.. 8, I think? Kind of screams 'we have our heads up our own asses.' And as others have mentioned, this is 1000% not the Shredder people want.
All that being said, if this is something they needed to do, then whatever. It's not offensive. It's just kind of a waste and I don't see it being very popular. I'm not mad it exists. But I'm definitely confused it exists.

Robot Rocksteady
: Looks like a nice figure. I dislike the robot variants, so I don't care about this at all. But what I do want to say concerns the price point. I remember it being a whole big thing that part of the reason figures are so expensive is that some are bigger, or have a lot more paint, or both. And keeping a relatively high price point balances that out. So while April, for example, might not really be a 45 dollar figure, Rocksteady was more like a 55-60 dollar figure, so it balances out. But now S7 is more than happy to just.. charge more for the slightly bigger figures? So where's the discount on straight repaints? You can't have it both ways.
Well, they can. Because people will pay it. But people shouldn't. Is what I'm saying.

Genghis: I have a weird nostalgia for this figure. And by weird, I mean.. I want this figure -because- I never liked the original. I don't fully understand how my brain is working this one out. I have really strong memories of owning Genghis as a kid, but like.. very specifically never actually playing with him. He spent a lot of time in the toy box, getting pushed out of the way as I grabbed something else. And when he made it out of the toy box it was mostly just to be a background character or get beaten up by a bad guy until the real heroes arrived. So I have no idea why I look at the new one and think 'I must have him.' Like what am I going to do -- pay homage to that nostalgia by having him be the only one not allowed in the display? I don't get it.
But he does look really good, and I'm sure that helps.

Raph: I always really liked the Space Cadet Raph variant in the vintage line, so I was always going to be predisposed to like this. But S7, in my opinion, did a really nice job translating the design and plussing it up, as it were. I love that they made the alien a separate figure, and gave Raph character-appropriate weapons (it always bugged me as a kid that he had a sword). He just looks like he'll be tons of fun and I need to find a way to include him in the collection. Easy winner for me, even though he actually wasn't high on my 'must-have' list.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”