Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Garlador wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 pm
PantherCult wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:20 pm
Or... you know... the Mouser is its own thing that comes in a multi-pack of Mousers and is not an accessory pack in. What a moron :oops:
Think of it as a baby turtle two-pack with five Mouser accessories.
Baedal wrote: This line is increasingly attached to vintage figures and less stylized, it's as if they made the same figure, but larger and with more joints. Each new wave, instead of getting excited, disappoints me a little more. I like the approach of MOTU Classics, which used to have Super7 in a moment, which is based on vintage figures, but also modernized and stylized the design, giving them their own value, it wasn't just copy/paste.
Every time I hear this, I get a bit confused, because the line from the very beginning was meant to be an update to all those vintage figures we got at a larger scale and with more poseability, and they've continued to deliver on that promise with each wave.

For those who want more stylized designs and modernization, often we get that TOO, with alternative, newly designed head sculpts and accessories. We have some people here who keep those old vintage heads on and use the single-color sprue weapons, while others have swapped them out for the modern weapons and new heads to give them a more current feel. There's a bit of a balance here that's pleased a lot of people, because if they only did one or the other, you'd alienate all those collectors who DO want faithful updates to the original toys without them being changed so much they're just new designs entirely.

We already have thousands of alternative Ninja Turtle designs out there as well - from original comics, 80s cartoon style, the movies, the more recent shows, the IDW comics, Power Rangers style, etc. - that if there's one franchise out there with no shortage of options for fans, it's this one.
I think what gets people is there is an inconsistency applied to the figures in this line. This wave is a pretty solid example of that. Slash basically looks like the Playmates toy, but bigger and with a much improved paint-job. Ace Duck, on the other hand, features a lot more embellishment, particularly in his feet and tail. I think for some, when they think of this line they think of figures like Ace Duck and others think of a figure like Slash. With Super7, they're very laid back in their approach and about the only rule seems to be "no double joints!" I think they look at Slash and say that old figure is great, let's not do too much here. And then they looked at Ace and thought more lifelike feet would add something and the tail needed fancier plumage. And as consumers, we don't know what direction each figure is going to go in until we actually see the pic.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Baedal wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 pm
This line is increasingly attached to vintage figures and less stylized, it's as if they made the same figure, but larger and with more joints. Each new wave, instead of getting excited, disappoints me a little more. I like the approach of MOTU Classics, which used to have Super7 in a moment, which is based on vintage figures, but also modernized and stylized the design, giving them their own value, it wasn't just copy/paste.

I agree with you which is why I gave up on this line after Wave 2. I realized it was not going to be what I personally wanted. For me MOTU Classics is the platonic ideal of an action figure property. It takes inspiration and even the essence of the orignial property and then distills it into a new more modern aesthetic. Doing that it takes designs from any number of sources - kids cartoon, detailed comics, children's books, box art paintings and rolls them all into a single unifying aesthetic rather than making each figure slavishly faithful to the source material. I prefer my figures a little less cartoony and stylized which is why I loved MOTU Classics and did not love the Filmation accurate Club Greyskull figures.

For me TMNT Ultimates is doing a great job faithfully rendering figures that look alot like the vintage toys. And that's wonderful for the folks that want that. For me I'd much prefer an updated modern take on Leatherhead that was more a synthesis of the vintage toy and the cartoon design over what they've chosen to make. But I recognize that my personal taste isn't relevant to anything but my own purchase habits.

So, while I remain a cheerleader for TMNT Ultimates in theory, and happy for those who love these, it's pretty clear to me I won't be buying any more of them.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm

Nobody gonna point out that it looks like Scratch has a mid-torso joint?

My personal quick thoughts:

-Slash looks PHENOMENAL, but in the group shot I am wishing he looked bigger
-Sorry, but the Mouser pack feels like a rip off. These are reused molds. They ain't worth $10+ apiece. There should be 6 in that pack, or some other deep cut perk added in like a special Shredder head
-Ace blew me away. THAT feels like a figure that is giving you every dollar's worth. I had low expectations for Ace but it's a gorgeous, jam packed release
-Mikey is the turtle with my favorite variants, so this pleases me immensely to see his surfer look done so well
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 pm

Thoughts.
- Just Ace and Slash for me.
-All the figures look phenomenal however.
-The mouser release is nice for those who want to army build them.
-Scratch is the most overhyped hard to find toy of all time. Still I hope it warms the hearts of those who were dying for him.
KarlSpace
Super Poseable

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Well, it's finally time to make a call on how deep I'm going to go with this line.

I was already out for the turtle variants, but having surfer Mikey as a kid is really pulling at my nostalgia strings.

Scratch is a big move from S7 at this point in the line. Definitely a signal on how things can go. Unfortunately, while cool from the vintage standpoint, none of the '93 mutants are that visually interesting to me, so I think this is the first non-turtle mutant I'll be passing on, and I'll be sticking with what I had as a kid, and those '90 - '92 figures that really stand out, or that I stared at for hours on a cardback.

I'm pleasantly surprised they got that much character out of Ace, and it gives me hope that Ghenghis Frog can be made to look cool, because that vintage figure has always been pretty lame, especially compared to Napoleon. Strange that they made his belt into a bandolier.

And to finally see Slash is just so good. My fav of the vintage figures, and the only thing I can see to nitpick is his double chin on the alternate head, but hopefully that's partially hidden when on the figure. Best that his throwing stars can attach to his belt, and it's cool that they gave him a psycho sword
(to go along with his psycho sai) similarr to turtles in time.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 pm

jimbles wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm
-Slash looks PHENOMENAL, but in the group shot I am wishing he looked bigger
I like the size they made him. Looks about right compared to his Turtles in Time size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWMxKtMtGc

I wouldn't want him (or Metalhead) to be as big as Rocksteady or Bebop. I'm glad they're around the same height as the Turtles.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:28 pm

They're up on BBTS. I grab Slash, Mikey, and the Mousers.

Slash was a no brainer, he was one of my favorites as a kid.

Don't want the Mikey, but I'll use the extra heads. I like the alt heads on Leo and Raph a lot, but for Mikey his alt head looks kind of off to me. The heads on this one fit his character much better, in my opinion. Hopefully someone out there is willing to buy just the body so I can get some of my money back. Spending $55 on basically just two heads makes me kind of hate myself.

Not sure why I ordered the Mousers. But they don't come out for at least another year, so I can cancel these if I change my mind later.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:29 pm

It's cool to see Scratch. :D
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Handsome wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 pm
I like the size they made him. Looks about right compared to his Turtles in Time size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWMxKtMtGc
To me it's gonna be a "wait and see" type of deal. Because yeah, I also don't want him B&R sized, but I also want him to have his eye line higher than the Turtles to just make him seem more imposing.

Also, pre-empitvely requesting this of VeeBee: if/when you are able to interview S7 about this wave, can you please ask them if they are putting thought into making sure Surfer Mikey's skin tone matches with the standard Mikey? I'm sure people would love the head swap options.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 pm

He looks to be thicker than the Turtles, I think he'll still look imposing enough
Garlador
HULK SMASH!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:46 pm

KarlSpace wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:33 pm
I'm pleasantly surprised they got that much character out of Ace, and it gives me hope that Ghenghis Frog can be made to look cool, because that vintage figure has always been pretty lame, especially compared to Napoleon. Strange that they made his belt into a bandolier.
Looking at the old toy and card art, apparently Ace Duck's "belt" was always a bandolier.
Preacherpool
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Having adjustable eyes on the alt Scratch head would have been comedy gold, but otherwise zero complaints. I never liked vintage Ace's preposed legs so looking forward to finally giving the character half a chance.

1993 has Sandstorm and Halfcourt, so yes, more, please.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Snagged a set plus another Mousers pack.

Almost went completely crazy and ordered more Mousers, but this will give me 7 regular, 4 battle damaged (one for each Turtle). The odd number is going to bother me, but there's literally no other way to fix that unless I went in on a pack with someone else, and 11 will look great on the shelf.

I don't have room for 21, lmao...
citysushi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 pm

I want robot bebop and rocksteady.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Chances Slash gets re-tooled as Tokka just like the old days?

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”