Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

The place to talk about ThunderCats toys from all the companies!
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:12 am

SURELY with the LJN throwbacks having far fewer accessories (and paint), they'll be more modestly priced than regular Ultimates. Right?
Right?
dogtownbrigade
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:58 am

When they went up on the S7 site the first time around, they were listed at $55 ea. and $75 for Mumm-Ra. So that's probably what they will be tomorrow unless they changed the prices.

I'm hoping theres a chance that Lion-O and Mumm-Ra's eyes will glow like the light up gimmick the LJN figures had. A nice bonus would be if they somehow included the light up chargers that came with those figures too. Maybe done as a case to store their weapons or something.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:44 am

I'm in disbelief that I'm so close now to being caught up with this line. Got the BBTS notices for Bengali and Vulture Man, so that brings me to all of the available figures that I want. It will be a sweet day when Mandora and the Electro-Charger make it out. But it's a very good feeling to wrap up this collection.
Freditor
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:39 pm

I started collecting this line in January 2021, bought all the wave 1 figures back then (Lion-O, Panthro, Mumm-Ra and Jackalman). Really liked the figures but for some reason I dropped this line. Maybe the nostalgia wasn't strong enough, maybe a lack of space, wanting to focus only on collecting TMNT lines (since that was my biggest obsession when I was a kid)... I don't really know. Haven't displayed them since.

I recently took them out of storage and for some reason, I decided to continue collecting them. Bought Cheetara, Tygra, Jaga, Slithe and Mumm-Ra the Everliving yesterday, they arrived today. And man, am I glad I did!

Some general thoughts:

Cheetara: love her. Wasn't impressed by her when I saw the reviews at first but in hand... yeah, I love her. Did give her head a bit of a matte finish, made her look even better. Absolutely no QC issues either, was a bit worried about that since I saw quite a few reviewers that had less luck.

Tygra: Actually pleasantly surprised by him. I know a lot of people were disappointed (missing elbow piece, very bright orange, the poop stains on his abs and lower back/ass crack...) but after I do some modifications (already gave the head a matte finish, makes it less vibrant) I will like hime quite a bit. Saw a video on how to remove the crappy shading, gonna do that and give the body a matte finish as well (especially the upper legs are very shiny at the moment). Paint was quite solid on mine.

Jaga: No real issues, other than the sword of omens having a slight bend (Super7 seem to hate that sword, my Lion-O had the same issue with his). His biceps and upper legs were also really shiny, gave them a matte finish. Cloth cape looks fantastic on him.

Slithe: wow... that pretty much sums it all up. What an amazing figure. 0 issues, perfect paint, amazing sculpt... sure, he might be limited in articulation. But that's largely due to the design of the character.

Mumm-Ra: Again, wow... such an imposing figure. Nothing bad to say about him. The cape does require some fanangling but once you get it in place, it looks fantastic. Didn't like Ma-Mutt looking insanely shiny though, glad I have my trusty can of Mr Super Clear.

Apologies for the wall of text, just wanted to share my excitement :lol:
Ordered Monkian from ebay, should arrive next week
ActionGuy2882
Faster than a speeding bullet

Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:57 pm

Does anyone know if the LJN inspired figures will be available from all the usual suspects or if they are just for sale from Super7? It makes the price and the wait easier to swallow when you can pay later. ;)
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm

ActionGuy2882 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:57 pm
Does anyone know if the LJN inspired figures will be available from all the usual suspects or if they are just for sale from Super7? It makes the price and the wait easier to swallow when you can pay later. ;)
Up on BBTS now, so definitely not Super7 only. Glad to see it because I'm absolutely in for Lion-O. With all these vintage cardback releases from Hasbro and Mattel I'm kinda surprised Super7 didn't do some classic cardback versions of these too. Heck, that would be an appropriate variant to be their own store exclusive and have the standard packaging everywhere else.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 am

Not even a slight discount for the lack of accessories and paint. I really don't see how people don't feel like that's a massive rip-off. 55 dollars for a figure with a couple of barely-painted accessories and an extra head, and a re-used body this will be the third incarnation of that we will -surely- at least see one more time.

Gross.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:16 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 am
Not even a slight discount for the lack of accessories and paint. I really don't see how people don't feel like that's a massive rip-off. 55 dollars for a figure with a couple of barely-painted accessories and an extra head, and a re-used body this will be the third incarnation of that we will -surely- at least see one more time.

Gross.
I don't get how you still don't understand the Super7 business model. It's been made very, very clear over the years and especially recently

55 dollars is the bottom line price for the cost of production for the figure alone. If they came with nothing, they'd still be 55 dollars. For a normal 7 inch figure that isn't lacking in articulation and size, that's the price you're going to pay no matter what.

All the dumb add ons and extra shit does not add to that price and never has- they're bonuses to ease the price point because they can eat that cost. This is why the considerably larger figures that use more plastic and have more mass have to cost more.

The Godzilla line is a great example. Anything on the scale of Heisei Godzilla would have to cost 85 dollars because of the sheer amount of plastic being used. But in that same line, Ultimate Shogun Godzilla, despite being just as tall, is only 55 dollars because of the lack of articulation and the lack of over all mass compared.

You not grasping something that they've made clear, if you agree with it or not being another matter, is not them making a mistake or being exploitive.

It's not like they have a hundred thousand Lion-O bodies from previous factory runs that they're slapping new heads and paint jobs on. These are all made from scratch every time, even if its from the same or similar files.
xTIMMYxCOREx
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:58 pm

KnightDamien wrote:Not even a slight discount for the lack of accessories and paint. I really don't see how people don't feel like that's a massive rip-off. 55 dollars for a figure with a couple of barely-painted accessories and an extra head, and a re-used body this will be the third incarnation of that we will -surely- at least see one more time.

Gross.
It’s more about economies of scale. Super7 production runs aren’t as large as retail toys. The setup & tooling costs can’t amortize across the larger number of units like with big toy companies so each unit costs more. Those new heads and accessories still have additional setup & tooling costs to make as well.
FlexionDynamo
CROM!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Just be happy he didn't write a 10,000 word post.

Hoping for a ThunderKitten with board, another Mutant, a Deluxe Villian (Driller, eh? Cruncher!?!), and Snarf for the next wave.
xTIMMYxCOREx
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:15 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:Just be happy he didn't write a 10,000 word post.

Hoping for a ThunderKitten with board, another Mutant, a Deluxe Villian (Driller, eh? Cruncher!?!), and Snarf for the next wave.
I’m with you on Snarf and the Kittens. But what if it’s an entirely “small” wave and included Ro-Bear Berbils?! That would be awesome.
xTIMMYxCOREx
HULK SMASH!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Looks like they over produced the Hook Mountain Lion-O… didn’t sell out at the show and now it’s also on BBTS!
dogtownbrigade
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:21 pm

Yeah, figured it was goint to show up there but, thought there wouldve been some kind of markup. Would've rather have paid the bbts flat $4 shipping rate than super 7's lol. Ah well...
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:31 pm

xTIMMYxCOREx wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:16 pm
Looks like they over produced the Hook Mountain Lion-O… didn’t sell out at the show and now it’s also on BBTS!
Would be nice if BBTS was also getting the GITD Turtles. I'm definitely interested but not so interested in I wanna pay that amount up front a year before they actually ship.

As for Lion-O, bummed I payed the higher S7 shipping but glad it'll be available for more people. Kinda looks like EVERYTHING they had for SDCC is available on BBTS which is... surprising. Unless they planned for them to be kind of a co-exclusive the entire time?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Just shipped my PoL because Bengali and Vulture Man showed up. Still can’t believe it.

Return to “Cats Lair: The Unofficial ThunderCats Forum”