Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
electricidad
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:14 pm

I've enjoyed the show so far, and I like what I see of the figures. I haven't bought a full-size He-Man action figure since the 1980s. This line is bringing me back in.

My local Wal-Mart appears to have about 6 each of He-Man and Skeletor. I've yet to find Moss Man or Evil Lynn in the wild. My local Target just got a monster restock of Skelegod, who is kind of amazing.
hotmitts
HULK SMASH!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I agree that the figures seem a bit texture-less, just look at the amount of detail going into Gi Joe classified...I know they aren't comparable genres but still...although the main poblem is the tiny heads..othe than that they're okay
I can see they were going for accuracy to the cartoon but what looks cool in a cartoon with skewed perspectives doesn't always translate to real 3d models...hard to believe that after they made prototypes or renders or whatever someone at a major toy company didn't think 'hang on, that looks a bit weird. maybe we should adjust a bit'

To me it's a little like they're almost great figures but need adjustment
ShadowBlaze
I wish I had super powers

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Follow up:

I watched all five episodes last night. I was actually quite impressed with the story, and I won't deny that the post-"time-skip" looks for most of the characters made a lot of sense within that context. Some of the dialogue was quite well written, and some of it was incredibly corny and out-of-place for a serious cartoon whose intended audience is a bit more grown-up. As a die-hard fan of the old live-action movie, I immediately noticed and appreciated quite a few lines and visual Easter-eggs lifted directly from the film, not to mention how consistent Revelation's score was with Bill Conti's soundtrack. I also appreciated the animators' use of 200X designs for a couple of characters' "time-skip" looks, and the faithful use of MOTU Classics designs for a few others.

One thing I did not love was the choice to cast Sarah Michelle Gellar as the voice of Teela. I like SMG, but her voice just doesn't fit the character. Teela's "rage" moments came through like a teenager having a temper-tantrum; a deeper-voiced actor might have provided the character's heavier moments with more nuance and gravitas.

Circling back to the figures themselves...I'm standing by my original opinion. The post-"time-skip" looks may be logical, but most struck me as pretty dull inspiration for a toy line. For all intents and purposes, this is a superhero team in their alter-ego street clothes, and I don't see that appealing to kids or casual fans of the property. At the other end of the spectrum, He-Man and Skeletor's looks are almost completely unaltered from the days of Filmation, and while certainly iconic, there's nothing fresh or visually interesting about them. Both could really have benefited from a little subtle updating in the vein of 200X. I can't say Skelegod is lacking for originality, but then I have to wonder why no one bothered to borrow any visual cues from his literal deification in the live-action film. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but it's like the animators and designers took whatever style choices I would have made and did the opposite.

Oh, well. At least Mattel is saving me some money with this stuff.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 am
ShadowBlaze wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am
KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:11 pm

"Time-skip" Teela looks horribly plain and unoriginal to me, and apart from being a redhead in a tunic, there are zero visual cues that it's TEELA.
I wouldn't call her terribly plain but not looking like the old Teela is kind of a point in the story. She does still wear the same colors so her entire design identity isn't lost.
Yeah, as someone who initially really didn't appreciate her new look - within context of the story it makes sense and I can live with it. Also it looks pretty cool in action on screen so that helps. FROM A DESIGN AND MARKETING PERSPECTIVE I still think they SHOULD have added something more than just the colors that referenced her old look just because that is incredibly important when you are managing a characters from well known IP. I have no idea why the brand manager or art director let that slide but, at least it looks kinda cool.
Leonardo T Dragon
Customized

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:15 pm

Getting back to toys...

Found both Evil-Lyn and Moss Man at Target over lunch today. Just two of each with no sign of He-Man or Skeletor. Looks like that exclusive period is now over.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 pm

Oreomega wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 pm

The cape is still sad and only fit to clean your hands with after eating wings, but I’m much happier with the figure now. I was one of those people who was content with the stock head, but after finishing Revelation and seeing the upcoming 1/6 mondo release, I needed the change. My repaint is a bit more saturated than how Skelly looked from those two sources, but it also makes it more classic motu inspired imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful. That’s what I’m gonna do one I find him lol
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:58 am

chaosMonkeyPoo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm
Shinigami_PL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 am
ShadowBlaze wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am
I wouldn't call her terribly plain but not looking like the old Teela is kind of a point in the story. She does still wear the same colors so her entire design identity isn't lost.
Yeah, as someone who initially really didn't appreciate her new look - within context of the story it makes sense and I can live with it. Also it looks pretty cool in action on screen so that helps. FROM A DESIGN AND MARKETING PERSPECTIVE I still think they SHOULD have added something more than just the colors that referenced her old look just because that is incredibly important when you are managing a characters from well known IP. I have no idea why the brand manager or art director let that slide but, at least it looks kinda cool.
Just for the record... the quotes got messed up there because that quote from me is not actually the thing I said.
I don't think Teela looks 'plain.' Although I'm on record that I don't particularly like this costume or Andra's costume. In the context of what all the other characters are wearing.. I hate their stupid kneepads (which I think is such a lazy design decision by an artist that doesn't know how else to add definition to a costume AND imply it's 'futuristic/military-ish'). Yeah, besides her stupid weapon, her kneepads are easily the worst part of the costume. And Andra's costume is kind of terrible. Overall, I just think they look kind of.. overdesigned, maybe? It's like MCU costumes but everyone else is wearing comic costumes. There's a marked difference that makes them stand out in a bad way.

But not 'plain,' in my opinion.

And to bring that to toys.. that's why I don't want the new Teela figure at all. I don't like her costume, and I despise her omni-tool. Which sucks, because I do like the character and I'd like to have a 'modern/post-skip' version of her on the shelf. But not the one that's actually in the show, unfortunately. I feel the same about Andra. I hate her costume but I'd like her on the shelf and I don't quite know what I'm going to do about that just yet.

I'm desperately hoping they both get better costumes by the end of the show so that we'll get figures of them that I like better. Will have to wait and see on that one.
Lasastard wrote: How was replacing He-man with Teela and making her a butch bodybuilder and have the show revolve around three chicks, basically, not woke, I wonder?
Oh, in the way that all of that is both wrong and makes you sound gross. That's how. Hope that helps!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:51 am

Watching the show definitely made me warm up more to the Masterverse offerings... but of course now that I'm interested in picking up the figures I can't find them. My local Target never received the stock of Skelegod and Battle Cat that most Target's seem to get, and my Wal Mart thus far has not shown any signs of receiving the wave 1 store display. I could order them on line, but was hoping I'd see some on store pegs and just no luck at all here.

Still, I enjoyed the show immensely and am looking forward to getting those Wave 2 figures. And the rumored wave 3. Really interested in a "Pope" Tri Klops figure from the show. Love his look.
WilliamVanGuile
CROM!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 am

Hi guys, i might be in the minority here, because i totally dislike the show. But after watching robo's review, i want these figures even more.

I own some he man figures back in the 80's but he was never my favorite toy, even the MOTUC line couldnt reel me in. I like the aesthetics of the 200x line but their articulation were horrible.

Robo said the head was too small, but i actually think the pinhead look might be closer to mondo and the 200x design. I'm planning to start with he man and skeletor as a type this.

Out of the figures announced so far, aside from he man, what's your top 3 figures from this line?

Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:32 am

I think in general most action figure collectors are just used to big heads since we so often get figures with unusually large noggins. I don't have a Masterverse figure in hand and I never actually measured the proportions or anything, but most don't see too far off. He-Man and Skeletor, the former especially, does seem like he has a bit of a small head from pictures.

Also if we're throwing in our 2 cents about the show, I like it. Definitely a lot more than I was expecting to. It certainly helps that it's MOTU related, and I enjoyed lots of the Easter Eggs. The story and character development was also enjoyable (from some commentary I've read it seems like a lot of both of those either went over people's heads, or they're intentionally choosing to not understand things), but I'm not going to go over everything.

About favourites, are we talking waves 1 and 2? Or everything leaked? I'll stick with waves 1 and 2 for now, so then Spikor, Man-at-Arms (who I kind of didn't quite like at first, but he's grown on me), and Teela. I'd have probably said Evil-Lyn over Teela, but wave 2 reveals are fresh in my head, and the unhelmeted head seemingly not looking quite right is a bit of an annoyance. I also like Moss Man, but that they couldn't figure out a better way to do his feet (ball and socket would have worked fine) is disappointing to me. Definitely looking forward to seeing a lot of what was leaked, as well.
Lasastard
Customized

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:39 am

dp
Lasastard
Customized

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:39 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:58 am
Lasastard wrote: How was replacing He-man with Teela and making her a butch bodybuilder and have the show revolve around three chicks, basically, not woke, I wonder?
Oh, in the way that all of that is both wrong and makes you sound gross. That's how. Hope that helps!
Out of curiosity, and I don't necessarily expect an answer to that, how would one go about criticizing the creative choices made by Smith et al. then if any criticisms of the "Mary Sue" device is considered offensive.

There surely is some sort of intellectual common ground on which to discuss stuff like that without being called a chauvinist, sexist or some other 'ist, no?

I would argue that Teela was not a well-written "strong" female character but a clichee out of the current playbook. And it is doing the character and the overall story a huge disservice. But of course, opnions will differ on this.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 am

Didn’t hate the show but didn’t love it either. Animation was top notch but the writing and story were a bit messy. Teela came off as just a whiny self centered baby saddled by the SMG annoying teen voice.The character designs were mostly pretty damn good tho.

The show won’t dictate what figures I buy because I buy what I like.

The Teela figure would have been better without the pants but I guess that doesn’t suit her new direction.

I’m in for all the figures so far and I’m sure I can use them somehow if not as MOTU figures
WilliamVanGuile
CROM!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks for the input, Megazarak. I guess Duncan (who just happened to be my second fave character in the old cartoon) is next for me. I will only buy Teela in her oldschool outfit, though.

Evil Monkey Pope
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am

Tri-Clops is getting snubbed?

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”