Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:48 am
Falling Downer wrote: I was pretty disappointed in how some characters were used or not used in this series. Not to get spoilery, but there's a battle scene full of faceless randos at one point that could have easily been filled with more appearances from established characters.

I'm gonna disagree with you here, but just for the sake of conversation - it's not meant to be aggressive or be like 'you're wrong and everything you've ever believed is garbage and I hope you get eaten by rabid wolverines' or anything. All in spoilers -- so no one read the following if you haven't watched the entire show and care about spoilers.

Spoiler! :

I think a lot of this comes down to space. There was SO much to this show that I think it's easy to overlook that it's 10 episodes of less than 30 minutes each for the entire thing. I imagine it was an insanely difficult balance to use characters - particularly in a respectful way - that will make fans happy, but still actually move the plot along. I mean, you COULD have filled the battle scenes out with more named characters - but is that what we MOTU fans want? For the characters we like to just be background fodder? We could dump every character in the background, but is that any different from what they did with Stratos and Buzz-Off? Personally, I didn't find it particularly satisfying just seeing those characters show up for a half-second of screen time.

And a lot of the background characters were getting their asses kicked to show how cool the main characters are. Do we really want to see Stratos, Buzz-Off, Extendar, etc.. just getting dunked on in the background of a battle scene for the sake of having them there?

My hope is
Spoiler! :
I'm going to have to change my mind and agree with you. :) Yeah, thinking more about it, it would not have been satisfying to just see Man-E-Faces walk on screen, spin his face to the robot persona and shoot his blaster at some unseen opponent, then cut to something else. The Buzz-Off and Stratos thing really annoyed me, especially since they're two of my favorite characters.

I overall liked the show and appreciated that it tried something different. I think I was hoping for something like the 200x show where you'd get an episode that featured Buzz-Off and Webstor and fleshed out those characters more. But the point of this story was to focus on He-Man, Teela, Skeletor and Evil-Lyn and I get that they didn't want to distract too much from that. Hell, you can watch 5 episodes of the Filmation show in a row and not see any other toy characters aside from He-Man/Adam, Orko, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor and Beast Man. I'm also hoping that there are more episodes of this show and maybe they'll feature more of the characters that didn't show up in previous episodes. It DID finally showcase Scareglow, and even gave Goat Man a brief moment to shine. that this show is going to keep going and Smith is keeping characters in reserve for later. The ending of the show certainly leaves the possibility open for more seasons, and therefore more spotlights on more characters. Ram Man was only briefly in it -- like Webstor -- and he's a fan favorite so I've got to imagine Smith has a little sticky note on Ram Man's file folder that says 'will use later.'
Well, if you're gonna put it like that....
Spoiler! :
I'm going to have to change my mind and agree with you. :) Yeah, thinking more about it, it would not have been satisfying to just see Man-E-Faces walk on screen, spin his face to the robot persona and shoot his blaster at some unseen opponent, then cut to something else. The Buzz-Off and Stratos thing really annoyed me, especially since they're two of my favorite characters.

I overall liked the show and appreciated that it tried something different. I think I was hoping for something like the 200x show where you'd get an episode that featured Buzz-Off and Webstor and fleshed out those characters more. But the point of this story was to focus on He-Man, Teela, Skeletor and Evil-Lyn and I get that they didn't want to distract too much from that. Hell, you can watch 5 episodes of the Filmation show in a row and not see any other toy characters aside from He-Man/Adam, Orko, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor and Beast Man. I'm also hoping that there are more episodes of this show and maybe they'll feature more of the characters that didn't show up in previous episodes. It DID finally showcase Scareglow, and even gave Goat Man a brief moment to shine.
Back to the toys, I'm more into new versions of characters in Masterverse. Since I'm heavily into Origins, I don't personally feel the need to get classic looking figures like Fisto and Spikor, so my most wanted figure from the second half of the show are easily
Spoiler! :
Sorceress Evil-Lyn and Sorceress Teela
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:06 am

What can I say about this series that hasn't already been said...

jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:21 am

Skelegod is less than $18 on amazon right now if you want one:

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Universe ... B08V41MGX8
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 pm

^ is $28 on Canadian Amazon. $41 for Battle Cat.
Deluxe Origins figures 50% at TRU and 40% off at Walmart.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Megazarak wrote: ^ is $28 on Canadian Amazon. $41 for Battle Cat.
Deluxe Origins figures 50% at TRU and 40% off at Walmart.
NIIICE.
I finally ordered Skelegod for my son. I just couldn't justify 40 bucks, but 28 works just fine for me. Still passing on BC just because I've already spent so much money this month. BUT.. for less than 13 bucks I may have to swing in to TRU for Ram Man. Too bad Flying Fists He-Man isn't out yet.

Falling Downer wrote:Well, if you're gonna put it like that....
:lol: I'm glad you came around! But seriously.. no spoilers here; There's so much potential to tell more stories with all the missing or under-used characters that it would be damn criminal if this show doesn't continue.

Falling Downer wrote: so my most wanted figure from the second half of the show are easily
Spoiler! :
I like the 'classic' stuff but really only for my absolute favorite characters. There's a lot of great new looks, though, and that's the stuff I'm most excited about as well.
For me it's Sorceress Teela and Trolla Evil-Lyn, actually. Her two evil looks were great, but man I loved the way she looked at the very end there. And Gandorko The White, too. While obviously heavily inspired by 200x, I still consider armored Randor to be a 'new' look and I'd be down for a figure of that as well. And Man-at-Arms Andra. That was very cool.

I wonder how much deeper Masterverse will go with Revelation looks, though. Will they try to get the entire cast, in their various looks, into the line? Or are they going to expect the hype to die down so they're already planning to move away from Revelation? I definitely want to see lots of non-Revelation figures, but I also still need quite a few Revelation looks on the shelf.

And as I said above -- I still want a PROPER Revelation He-Man.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:57 pm

I just finished the season last night, and I have to say it was pretty amazing! I honestly loved the show, but I gotta admit, it was a terrible idea not to release the entire thing all at once. I feel like many were put off by part 1, when part 2 really brings everything together and makes it all worth it in the end, imo. Honestly a great show and it does really make me happy that I'm getting into the figures. I really do wish to see a second season, bit after the reception to p1, I doubt Kevin wants to return to another one. Personally I think the show was excelently written.

As for figures I want out of it:
Spoiler! :
Sorceress Teela and Sorceress Lyn are TOP priority, mattel! Prince Adam should be made too. Bearded Duncan would be nice, the king as well. And yeah, a new He-man and Skeletor, with sculpts closer to the look of the show, would be sweet. Not sure who else beyond the ones we already have seen I could want. Lyn from the end looked cool as well, plus her champion look was cool too.
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Lucked out. Did some errands on my lunch break, found Man at Arms, Teela, Beastman and Spikor at Walmart! Still waiting for Battlecat evil lyn and mossman to hit clearance. Those are always hanging out.

Also finally opened Skele-God and put he-man, and skeletor in the case with Origins battle cat as a Cringer. Guess I'll have a respectable display.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 pm

Finally got He-Man from this line. This... is not a good figure. In a lot of areas it's janky and weird in terms of construction. I thought in the worst case scenario the parts would be okay for salvaging into customs but now it feels like I paid $15 for a pair of boots (really nice boots!) and a generic sword/shield combo because those are the only good looking and well constructed things. The spaghetti strap harness isn't even worth reusing for a better He-Man.

So after ****ing up He-Man as bad as they did, I can comfortably say I gave the line a shot and it's not for me.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:02 am

On the other hand I came across Spikor, gave him a buy. and I find him to be great. One of my favourite figures in a while even. Good amount of accessories with both his weapons and an extra pair of hands. Plastic quality feels nice and solid too, like Mattel's Origins.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:32 am

Skelegod arrived from Amazon today -- my son was SUPER excited about this one. And I was pretty excited to get it for less than what the regular figures cost me. That was pretty cool. Having him in hand.. honestly, there's no legitimate reason for this to be a deluxe pricepoint figure. Yeah, he's bigger than the regular figures - but not THAT much bigger. Barely a head taller than HM/Regular Skeletor, and if you forget the shoulder pads he's only a tiny bit broader overall. He does look imposing - but in reality he's not THAT much bigger than anyone else.

He's a reasonably cool figure in terms of what he's supposed to be. I mean, I don't really like the design but the figure does what it's supposed to do with that design. Cape is tolerable for a non-wired, on-the-cheap cape. I know some don't agree, but I still prefer a somewhat shitty fabric cape to an articulation/play-hindering plastic shell.
My only real issue with the figure is his hand. I swapped the open left hand for a gripping left hand and it's so loose that it's basically useless. To the point where my son pretty much lost interest immediately after. The hand just spins upside down from the weight of the sword. Sucks. I'll probably super-glue tighten it at some point soon so my boy can actually play with him and not be frustrated.

jimbles wrote: This... is not a good figure. In a lot of areas it's janky and weird in terms of construction.
I do not understand this complaint at all. It's not perfect -- the wrists hinge in the wrong direction, the neck articulation could have more ROM, and the hips are a known issue with how tight they are. Besides that, I really don't understand where the construction itself is bad or janky. In fact, I'd put these well above the current highly-regarded crop of McFarlane figures, which I do consider janky and over-articulated to the point of looking atrocious. But different strokes and all. Bummer you didn't like it! Maybe we'll get some new bodies down the road as they explore different styles/eras of He-Man.

I agree that the harness is a weird choice, though. I don't get it. It doesn't actually look like the cartoon it's supposed to be based on. It's more like a weird take on the vintage toy harness, but as you said - like they tried to slim it all down so as to maybe make the underlying body look bigger? I don't know. Definitely could have been done better, I think. And man, do I wish there were butterfly hinges and correct wrist articulation on these - because otherwise I do really enjoy them so far.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:32 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:32 am
I do not understand this complaint at all. It's not perfect -- the wrists hinge in the wrong direction, the neck articulation could have more ROM, and the hips are a known issue with how tight they are. Besides that, I really don't understand where the construction itself is bad or janky. In fact, I'd put these well above the current highly-regarded crop of McFarlane figures, which I do consider janky and over-articulated to the point of looking atrocious. But different strokes and all. Bummer you didn't like it! Maybe we'll get some new bodies down the road as they explore different styles/eras of He-Man.
It's a litany of issues for me. For $15 it's kind of a whatever situation. Like you said, they might go with a different upgraded style body (it is multiversal, after all) and I might very well try again. But this buck body is not what I want.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:06 am

Lucked out and found Spikor, Man at Arms, Beast Man, and Teela at Target. Happy to get these!

I only had a chance to open up Spikor so far. He’s a blast. Spikor has always had one of my favorite designs. He has such a striking look. It’s really nice to finally get a fully articulated figure of him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 pm

Teela is a great figure! Nice double pinless joints on a female figure. Functional articulation. Fun weapons. My daughters were fighting over playing with her, which is a good sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Evil Monkey Pope
CROM!

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 am

It's frustrating Teela has the same build as Evil-Lyn despite being significantly beefier by this point.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:45 am

They're actually very similarly built. Despite being a spellcaster Evil-Lyn's got guns on her.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”