Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:31 am

This line has my interest piqued solely because I have watched the Netflix show. The more I see the more my interest grows but the uncertainty of the line is kinda holding me back.

Revelations has some really interesting design updates but I don’t want to get invested in Masterverse only for the line to detour in to other styles…. Unless they can be all integrated in the same style. Is the line meant to use a base sculpt and have the 200x, Mini Comics, etc. looks fit within that style?

Having said all that I kinda already have a bit of a Wishlist for what I want to see;

Two-Bad
Scare Glow (regular release)
He-Ro
Rio Blast
Hordak
Trap Jaw (Deluxe Pre and post skip version)
Keldor and Kronis (2 pack with better Skeletor head)
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:35 am

I’d like to be able to get a Faker too. I quite like how he looked in the show but I hate that it’s an exclusive.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:57 am

Without getting into specifics, one of the things about the new series that impressed me was that it seemed to be self-aware that MOTU started out as a toy commercial. The little cameos all over the place actually made me more inclined to complete the Origins line, weirdly. Just from a marketing standpoint there's some clever meta-storytelling going on there. Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall for the pitch meeting.
hotmitts
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 pm

docsilence wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:57 am
Without getting into specifics, one of the things about the new series that impressed me was that it seemed to be self-aware that MOTU started out as a toy commercial. The little cameos all over the place actually made me more inclined to complete the Origins line, weirdly. Just from a marketing standpoint there's some clever meta-storytelling going on there. Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall for the pitch meeting.
yes, good point - hope they bring out figures of the those skull headed guards
Oreomega
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 pm

The cape is still sad and only fit to clean your hands with after eating wings, but I’m much happier with the figure now. I was one of those people who was content with the stock head, but after finishing Revelation and seeing the upcoming 1/6 mondo release, I needed the change. My repaint is a bit more saturated than how Skelly looked from those two sources, but it also makes it more classic motu inspired imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hotmitts
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Oreomega wrote:

The cape is still sad and only fit to clean your hands with after eating wings, but I’m much happier with the figure now. I was one of those people who was content with the stock head, but after finishing Revelation and seeing the upcoming 1/6 mondo release, I needed the change. My repaint is a bit more saturated than how Skelly looked from those two sources, but it also makes it more classic motu inspired imo

looks good - a repaint ? don't have the figures yet
Oreomega
HULK SMASH!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:13 pm

hotmitts wrote:
Oreomega wrote:

looks good - a repaint ? don't have the figures yet
Mhm, and thanks! Just repainted the stock head with some Daemonic yellow acrylic paint. The sculpt is actually quite nice for the face, but it just looks so much better in yellow

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:11 pm

ShadowBlaze wrote: I have yet to watch the show, so all the discussion of "time-skip" looks is lost on me (for now).
No spoilers: The show has a several year gap in the middle, with some parts of the show being flashbacks to before the gap, and some of the show taking place after the gap.

Teela, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, Skelegod are all post-skip designs, exclusively. Other designs like Skeletor appear in both, and some appear only pre-skip (Man-At-Arms).
Evil Monkey Pope
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Teela's head unfortunately looks off model to the show.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:05 am

Just finished Revelations.

I was on the fence before, but dammit, I kinda want them now. The new reveals look great.

I just need to get over my dislike of the headsculpt on Skeletor. I hope they release an alternate head for him with another figure. Maybe a laughing head that doesn't have the tiny "baby bonnet" look (thanks for that, KD).
ShadowBlaze
I wish I had super powers

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am

KnightDamien wrote:
ShadowBlaze wrote: I have yet to watch the show, so all the discussion of "time-skip" looks is lost on me (for now).
No spoilers: The show has a several year gap in the middle, with some parts of the show being flashbacks to before the gap, and some of the show taking place after the gap.

Teela, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, Skelegod are all post-skip designs, exclusively. Other designs like Skeletor appear in both, and some appear only pre-skip (Man-At-Arms).
Oh, I'm totally aware that the show includes time lapses, flashbacks, and so on. But since I haven't watched it, I haven't seen all the present/future looks for the characters or the animation studio's interpretations of their classic/past designs. I will say that I've seen a couple snippets of "past" Teela, and I really wish that was the version of her that appears in the new toy line. "Time-skip" Teela looks horribly plain and unoriginal to me, and apart from being a redhead in a tunic, there are zero visual cues that it's TEELA.

Something else I already dislike about the Revelation entries in the line is how closely they mirror the animation. Every MOTU cartoon has simplified the characters' designs, but the respective toy lines were still sharply sculpted and decently detailed - except the Mattel/Super 7 Flimation line, which I also passed on, having judged it as stylistically inferior to Classics and 200X. The Revelation figures may seem like they stepped off the screen, but they're also horribly devoid of texture and design flourishes that were present even on the vintage toys. They're just...boring to look at.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:33 am

ShadowBlaze wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am
KnightDamien wrote:
"Time-skip" Teela looks horribly plain and unoriginal to me, and apart from being a redhead in a tunic, there are zero visual cues that it's TEELA.
I wouldn't call her terribly plain but not looking like the old Teela is kind of a point in the story. She does still wear the same colors so her entire design identity isn't lost.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 am

Her current outfit looks like it belongs on some background character in an rpg game. It doesn’t really pop.
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:04 am

I just finished watching the new series. And as a pretty casual fan of MOTU, who just recently go my first He-man figure in the origins one, who didn't grow up having seen neither the original or the 200x series... I liked it! I kinda almost love it! Almost, but I think it was really good. No spoilers, of course.

They made me care about the main cast. Even the most wooden of the originals is now a nice, even slightly complex character, and I really liked that. The story feels fresh, yet somehow still feels a tiny bit connected to the older series. it's certainly in the more dramatic side of things, but I like that, it deepens the world beyond 'it's all for the toys'. The designs were pretty fantastic, and the animation was amazing, probably the best work I've seen yet of the studio. And the music was simply fantastic! It really grabbed me, and some themes are pretty epic as well.

As for where they take the characters, well, it was certainly a surprise, but a welcome one. We'll see what happens in part 2, and then we'll see if they made the correct choice.

And yeah, almost no WOKE elements here. People are implying certain things, but I didn't see them.

So if you're in a similar position as me... I recommend it. It was definitely worth the watch, and probably worth the wait. Different from what I expected of that amazing first trailer, but it was still good.

And now I definitely want the figures! At least the main cast, He-man, Skeletor, Teela (both versions!), Evil-lyn, Orko, Scareglow, Sorceress and the post MAA. Maybe even a few others as well.
Lasastard
Customized

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:48 am

How was replacing He-man with Teela and making her a butch bodybuilder and have the show revolve around three chicks, basically, not woke, I wonder?

Anyway, this is a toy board, so let's leave it to other platforms ;)

Regarding Masterverse toys, I think it is crazy how poorly He-man came out in toy form. I was holding out judgement until I actually saw the character on screen..but the figure looks absolutely *nothing* like the cartoon/animated version. From face sculpt to overall body shape. What the hell happened ?! ^^

Moss-man and Evil-Lyn look alright tho and fairly screen accurate. And Skeletor would only need some minor tweaks (like having a yellow skull, for starters). But the big guy, oh boy.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”