Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
Tenbones
Happy-mean toy hater

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Torchlight II
Replayed Deus EX (all of them)

Currently playing: Tekken Tag Team 2, Guild Wars 2, sort of playing Torchlight II with the Engineer and Outlander
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 am

Just started Metal Gear Rising today, and that game is stupid good so far. I suppose, being a Metal Gear fanboy I should be a bit annoyed at how different is from the series norm - but screw it. Its super well done. I totally trusted Koji-Pro and Platinum to scramble together a decent game, I just didn't expect it to mesh this well.

Definitely has a learning curve though - the parry system is mega important and a bit hard to grasp early on.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:24 am

Just finished Rising - Definitely happy with how it turned out. Just enough MGS fan-service to make me happy while also being a damn solid action game. :wink:

There are some reviews bashing the length - but its than most reviews are saying. Really its only negative trait is an occasionally spazzy camera, which is unfortunately pretty common in this sort of game. Still - super fun. Great combat, fun story, and crazy visuals and set-pieces at times. Well worth my $60.
gunmetalgrey
Avengers Assemble

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 am

Played through Metro 2033 again in anticipation for Last Light's release. Hopefully, it pushes through next month.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 am

I just bought Lollipop Chainsaw, for $20, & played it. :? not bad, some stuff is a bit annoying, but it's still a decent game.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I played Heavy Rain, and I really didn't like it. It was interesting; I wouldn't call it a game any more than Telltale's The Walking Dead, it was an interactive drama, and the atmosphere was killer, but the writing was pretty awful, the voice acting was atrocious, and the characters were deplorable.

If, like Cage(writer/direct) says, his intent is to build emotional experiences, he really needs to learn to write characters who aren't gigantic assholes. Ethan, for example, was one of the most deplorable, helpless idiots I've seen in a video game. One cannot form emotional connections with characters one enjoys watching crawl through broken glass, or whom one otherwise wants to be punished by everything his tormentor has to throw at him. And I do mean everything.

The story was a patchwork of tropes and clichés--did she really just tear her skirt like that?--with a Shyamalan style twist stuck in there. Depending on decisions the player made, the story had the capacity for some really awkward pacing and redundant scenes, presumably in case you lost a few people along the way. Apparently, the story tree wasn't sophisticated enough to account for the player who made it through most of the game with everyone unscathed, something that's indicative of bad writing. The ending I saw due to my choices had a huge, gaping, ruinous plot hole, something that is downright unforgivable.

If this had been a movie, it would have been skewered by critics and fans as shenanigans of the highest degree(the unspeakable Shyamalan degree!), but BECAUSE GAME, it gets a free pass for its bullshit. I guess this is what they mean when they say people don't take video gaming seriously. Which, really, isn't a very good excuse at all. Bad writing is bad writing, whether or not you have to press the playback function multiple times in order to see it.

Maybe I'm overly cynical because I approached it from a post-Telltale TWD perspective. Had I not played that, I might have been blinded to its faults by its lofty aspirations. But I didn't, and I wasn't. And it still would have been bad.
BadMuthaDude
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I finally opened up L.A. Noire. It had been sitting around, still wrapped in cellophane since boxing day. I just don't devote much time to video games so it had to wait until I completed another Xmas game first.

Once again, Rockstar Games continues to impress me. The scenery and atmosphere as usual is top notch and helps you become immersed in the game's world. I like how expressive the characters' faces are for this game and I'm enjoying trying to do detective work. Apparently, my ability to read peoples' faces is s**t, though. My biggest problem is trying to determine when to select 'doubt' or 'lie.' Figuring out whether someone is telling the truth has been a little easier. It's a good game and a unique experience.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Finished my replay of Mass Effect 2 last night. I haven't touched it since it came out years ago, and I still love the thing. Still get super emotional and have a mild panic attack during the suicide mission ;)
Looking forward to finishing my great Mass Effect trilogy replay when I start ME3 after replaying Arkham City.
A lot of good games have come out over the past few months, but I'm having so much fun going back to all these games I played ages ago. I really rushed through a lot of these and didn't take the time to reaaaally enjoy them. (the ME games, TF: Fall of Cybertron, Arkham City, and whatever else I replay before FINALLY getting around to playing the last few months of great releases)
Tenbones
Happy-mean toy hater

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Completed: X-Com on Impossible in Ironman-Mode. I feel like I got raped by Dark Souls that was so difficult.

Currently playing: Battlefield 3... the gift that keeps giving.
cableguy
I wish I had super powers

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:29 am

Guild Wars 2. Was hooked on it for about a year, just finally quit. Constantly coming out with new which meant more grinding time just to stay up to date on the gear.
Basil Elks
Remembers, things, best, forgotten,
Location: the Firm's morgue {which, oddly enough, is in British Columbia}

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 pm

AC4 Black Flag, great game. :D
Shatterstar4ML
I'll be your huckleberry

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 am

Just finished Ghosts campaign. I enjoyed it. There isn't much innovation but it still managed to give me two or three WOW moments.
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 pm

I am playing Outlast, for PS4 (It's a PC game, too). If you like Survival Horror, you should play this game. As an Investigative Journalist, you wander around a creepy Insane Asylum looking for clues as to what is/was going on there. No weapons, just exploring and running/hiding from the few Creepy dudes roaming the halls. Oh yeah, and it is mostly dark, and all you have for light is NV on your camcorder.

Most the reviews frowned upon the repetetive nature of some of the tasks, turning on 2 switches here and there, but if you like horror, this game is awesome and I haven't really found it to be majorly repetetive.
SammaeL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:50 am

Dragon's Dogma : Dark Arisen.

Got bored of Skyrim and the Dark Souls games scare the Hell out of me (I don't want to be uber frustrated playing a game) so I gave this a try. Almost like Skyrim + Monster Hunter + a little Shadow Of The Colossus tossed together. The whole pawn concept is interesting.

I prefer playing without teammates, unless online, but death comes swiftly trying to solo. Only about ten hours in but I like it so far. Anyone got a pawn or some spare gear (PS3)?
Iron YoJimbo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 04, 2014 6:40 am

chubbyman wrote:heads up, Arkham Asylum on steam for 5 bucks. go get it if you haven't played. great game!
Even though I finished it entirely, I kept going back & replaying it for fun. Just recently I picked up Arkham City. I don't think I'll be able to put it down.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”