Collecting DCUC/DC Direct

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Collecting DCUC/DC Direct

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:47 am

panther10 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:36 am
toydollz wrote:Fourteen (gulp) years ago, I bought the first wave of DCUC. Then I moved for grad school and to this day I have no idea where they ended up. That was also the only wave I bought because priorities change etc so on and so forth. For some reason, I had a Matty Collector sub and was getting the Signature Series figs but that's about it.

Now I want to pick up the series along with some old DC Direct/Collectibles stuff. Pretty sure I can shake my need for MIB and buy them all loose. I've done my googling, but have yet to find any price guide. I'm assuming that ebay is my best bet, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any leads. Any hints/tips on collecting the lines would be appreciated too.

Also, after the line switched to DC Unlimited in 2013, what was between that and the start of the Multiverse? It looks like it went dormant for two years, but not sure.

Thanks!
Damn dude. I wish you made this thread about 7 months ago since I tossed pretty much all of my DCUC figures out when I was moving out of my old place. I had like a 100 of them that I could have sent your way.

Well that blows…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who,as an active member of a toy community,throws away toys/figures before inquiring amongst the community if anyone would want them first?

100 DCUC is an easy $500 to $1000 payday no matter who they are.

Dude let us know next time please.
toydollz
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:56 am

Since I posted this, I really jumped in. Been buying lots of lots on eBay and found a private auction site where I won a bunch of NIB DCUC waves. Will be posting my want list in the trading post soon.
MLNUT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:05 am

Visionary wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:47 am

Thanks!
Damn dude. I wish you made this thread about 7 months ago since I tossed pretty much all of my DCUC figures out when I was moving out of my old place. I had like a 100 of them that I could have sent your way.

Well that blows…

[/quote]

Who,as an active member of a toy community,throws away toys/figures before inquiring amongst the community if anyone would want them first?

100 DCUC is an easy $500 to $1000 payday no matter who they are.

Dude let us know next time please.
[/quote]

You threw them out? Wow, that's such a wasteful thing. Couldn't donate them or give them to a friend? A local kid in the neighborhood? Please let us know next time you move. I'm sure someone in your local would take them off your hands.
SammaeL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:14 pm

Dc Direct is probably the most disappointing line I've ever invested in. Most looked great but the sheer amount of breakages I've had makes me wonder how they even stayed in business. I've probably picked up at least fifty DCD figures, and the vast majority have broke.

The giant Grundy and Killer Croc are both huge sore points, because they looked amazing and were not cheap. Both lost their arms within a week. I still have a Croc in box I'll never open. He's supposed to have the "updated" arms, but I've seen those break as well.

That one older Superman is definitely top two six inch scale Supermen ever made, and he's trash because he falls apart at a glance. I've had three, all in shambles.

Therapy session over.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:21 pm

SammaeL wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:14 pm
Dc Direct is probably the most disappointing line I've ever invested in. Most looked great but the sheer amount of breakages I've had makes me wonder how they even stayed in business. I've probably picked up at least fifty DCD figures, and the vast majority have broke.

The giant Grundy and Killer Croc are both huge sore points, because they looked amazing and were not cheap. Both lost their arms within a week. I still have a Croc in box I'll never open. He's supposed to have the "updated" arms, but I've seen those break as well.

That one older Superman is definitely top two six inch scale Supermen ever made, and he's trash because he falls apart at a glance. I've had three, all in shambles.

Therapy session over.
No. Not yet, Still on the clock. I’ve lost track of the number of translucent joint pins that crumbled to dust on my figures over the years. I’m reluctant to touch or pose any of them for fear of breakage. When these were coming out on a regular monthly basis I’d cherry pick the figures I wanted. Then a couple in my collection would break and I’d stop picking them up for a while until a must have character would come along and the cycle would start anew.
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Collecting DCUC/DC Direct

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:10 am

Speaking of DCUC (and it’s follow- up lines), I’ve finally just competed what I think is complete for me.

For me, that’s Super Powers, Super Friends, JSA, Morrison JLA, JSI, TDKR, Death/Reign/Return of Superman, the Bat-family, Batman’s rogues, New Teen Titans, and lots of random stuff. It’s too much for one shelf so had to split into multiple very packed displays. I have maybe a dozen other DCUC figures not in the display for various reasons.

Sure, there are plenty of characters who fit into those themes that were never made, but I feel the collection is compete.

Oh, and the last figure? Red Arrow. Just never got around to getting him before.

Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble

Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 pm

I have really gotten back into classic DCD this past year. Be it nostalgia or that McF is not producing the “look” that I want. But I have really enjoyed purchasing and hunting DCD again
DerRabbi
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:59 am

My focus on DCUC was always Silver Age and Bronze Age. I liked the idea of my Legion being younger Silver Age versions so I used the DCD Legion figures. They scale well with DCUC as young teens and have a deeper roster than the DCUC equivalent. There are other DCD figures that scale well enough with DCUC to fill in some character gaps. The Shade and Vandal Savage come to mind. .

Really wish DCUC had gotten to: Mad Hatter, Mr Freeze, Granny Goodness, Trickster, Dr Light and a proper SA/BA Supergirl.
toydollz
HULK SMASH!

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:07 am

Rogers1938 wrote:
I have really gotten back into classic DCD this past year. Be it nostalgia or that McF is not producing the “look” that I want. But I have really enjoyed purchasing and hunting DCD again
I just won some auctions that cover the first 5 years of DCD. A lot of classics in there.
bezem
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:18 pm

toydollz wrote:
Rogers1938 wrote:
I just won some auctions that cover the first 5 years of DCD. A lot of classics in there.
Pain points for me have been the Multiverse ClayFace and Multiverse King Shark waves. Was on a tighter budget when those came out and only picked up parts of each wave. Kicking myself now; was collecting since the DCSH line and only missing a handful of releases.
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:37 pm

I've got a few of these but am always worried about their legs and arms.

Why did DCD use such consistently brittle plastic? Why not something more "rubbery" like Multiverse or DCUC did?

Beautiful sculpts sometimes though....
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:38 pm

I've got a few of these but am always worried about their legs and arms.

Why did DCD use such consistently brittle plastic? Why not something more "rubbery" like Multiverse or DCUC did?

Beautiful sculpts sometimes though....
kantboy2
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:19 pm

bezem wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:18 pm
toydollz wrote:
Rogers1938 wrote:
Pain points for me have been the Multiverse ClayFace and Multiverse King Shark waves. Was on a tighter budget when those came out and only picked up parts of each wave. Kicking myself now; was collecting since the DCSH line and only missing a handful of releases.
Same thing here. I forgot to order the King Shark figures and the Clayface wave that dropped in my area never came with Jessica Cruz. :rolleyes:

I have yet to complete King Shark, Clayface and Lobo, which is the last of the MOTUC body figures I'm missing. That was a little neat subset of figures. Wish they had done a few Super Powers homages in those bodies before losing the license. I'm sure DC licensing would've said no. :x

If I find a good deal on a DCUC figure , I might take it, but I have around 90% of the stuff I want. Current hobby is trying to build as many Brimstone C&C figures as I can. :lol:

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”