DC General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
bat1975
Avengers Assemble
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:34 am

Ordered the five pack. I’ve done some kit bashing before, but never painted a figure. I will definitely need to paint those trunks black. Any paint recommendations for a total beginner?
User avatar
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4706
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 am

That Batman 5-pack is a decent pick-up if you don't already have all of those figures. But unless you are a hardcore completeist, slightly different paint and/or head sculpts on a couple of the figures doesn't really make it worth picking up if you have the previous versions, and I do. So that one is an easy pass.

I mean they didn't even bother putting the red and green Damian on the updated body with the double jointed knees and elbows. If they'd done that it might have made me pause for a brief moment, but it's basically the exact same figure with a different head. However I'm actually glad they didn't update it too much, because I wouldn't want to have been even slightly tempted by that one figure.

As it is, there's really nothing much new there to get too excited about.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:52 am

Ninjak wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 am
That Batman 5-pack is a decent pick-up if you don't already have all of those figures. But unless you are a hardcore completeist, slightly different paint and/or head sculpts on a couple of the figures doesn't really make it worth picking up if you have the previous versions, and I do. So that one is an easy pass.

I mean they didn't even bother putting the red and green Damian on the updated body with the double jointed knees and elbows. If they'd done that it might have made me pause for a brief moment, but it's basically the exact same figure with a different head. However I'm actually glad they didn't update it too much, because I wouldn't want to have been even slightly tempted by that one figure.

As it is, there's really nothing much new there to get too excited about.
Most of the originals can be had below retail so I'd wait for a ~25% discount before getting the 5 pack.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 am

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:27 pm
Really disappointed that we haven't gotten a new sculpt for Nightwing. Sorely needed.
With so many characters that need to get made for the first time, we still absolutely need a new, better Nightwing. Toot sweet. The first one was underwhelming to say the least.
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2429
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 am

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 am
Rex Mason wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:35 pm
Passing on the five pack as well. The no blue trunks on Batman and Batgirl still with the way too short cape ruin the two I'd have interest in. This reminds me of the days of the easy repaints from DC Direct when they'd do box sets and the like. But they'd at least throw in a new figure to making it tempting...

I'm honestly glad they didn't throw in anything too new. Makes it easier to skip. Would hate to pay that much just to get one new figure and have to sell/trade the repaints.
Yeah, that's a good point. It would be playing dirty if Alfred was in this set or someone similar.

I honestly don't see the appeal of this one at all. All those figure are still available for the same price or cheaper but in decos more accurate to the subject matter. Usually a boxed set gives you a better value than buying figures single-carded...
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:28 am

Rex Mason wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 am
Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 am
Rex Mason wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:35 pm
Passing on the five pack as well. The no blue trunks on Batman and Batgirl still with the way too short cape ruin the two I'd have interest in. This reminds me of the days of the easy repaints from DC Direct when they'd do box sets and the like. But they'd at least throw in a new figure to making it tempting...

I'm honestly glad they didn't throw in anything too new. Makes it easier to skip. Would hate to pay that much just to get one new figure and have to sell/trade the repaints.
Yeah, that's a good point. It would be playing dirty if Alfred was in this set or someone similar.

I honestly don't see the appeal of this one at all. All those figure are still available for the same price or cheaper but in decos more accurate to the subject matter. Usually a boxed set gives you a better value than buying figures single-carded...
It made more sense to me when people were speculating a 90s themed pack.

Azrael Batman with red helmet, wings, and bat symbol, Knightfall Bruce (Year Two with plastic cape), 90s Tim Drake, Classic Joker as a three Jokers redeco, and Bane without the vest.
User avatar
Jase
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:35 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 am

The only figures in that 5 pack that even mildly interest me are Batman and Batgirl. But Batman doesn’t have the trunks and has gold paint instead of yellow along with Batgirl having the side eyes so no thanks for $100.

Did manage to snag a preorder for the Amazon Robin. Not sure I will keep it though. Really, not even sure I want to get much more into this line.
User avatar
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: On a Dark Desert Highway
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:41 am

As A massive Batfamily fan I have to say the 5 pack isnt for me. I like the new head sculpts well enough but the rest...well I just don't see the $100 value. Maybe as a black Friday steal deal or something but otherwise I am happy just watching from the sidelines on this one.

I haven't seen the ex Tim Drake to decide but those sleeves...suggest better is yet to come.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:01 am

Lemme just say that I believe this is a trial balloon. I believe a certain amount of what Todd does is a gauge for what he could possibly do later. A $100.00 5-pack with a bunch of repaints and new heads. Cool. See how it does. Then if it does well, give us a themed 5-pack with all new sculpts. Make it Gold Label to the online store. And just by way of example, make it a Loeb/Sale theme based on Long Halloween, When in Rome, and Dark Victory. Make it Batman, Joker, Scarecrow, Catwoman, and Grundy. $140.00 retail as Grundy is deluxe, but offer and early bird discount code. Do it for the holidays. Then watch Target and Wal Mart want one for the following year.
User avatar
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: On a Dark Desert Highway
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:03 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:23 pm
Wallace West shipped out today. Power Ring preordered. Still waiting for my Ocean Master preorder. Still a hard target search for Shazam and Kyle II. Changed my mind again on Kyle after seeing more pics. That’s my entire watch list at the moment.

Kind of a low number for me. I’m used to double that. So much shipping, Todd almost has to announce some new stuff soon-ish.
Tommy, I'm a little behind the curve on this one.Where did you order Wallace West? I wouldn't mind picking him up
User avatar
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 18561
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:13 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:08 am

I snagged Kyle at Target today.

The shipper had a few Kyles left, a bunch of B&W Slade, winter Diana, and a lone Rock Adam w/throne. I held the BA figure for a few minutes, but ended up putting him back.

I'm trying not to buy movie figures, since they won't scale with the Mezco DCEU figures I already have.

My Rebirth Supes from Amazon arrived (going to compare him & Hush Supes to see if I think I can match skin tones, or I may end up trying that swap. I have a custom soft goods cape for Hush Supes, so that plastic one was coming off anyway).

I also ordered Wallace from the Todd toy store.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:09 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:01 am
Lemme just say that I believe this is a trial balloon. I believe a certain amount of what Todd does is a gauge for what he could possibly do later. A $100.00 5-pack with a bunch of repaints and new heads. Cool. See how it does. Then if it does well, give us a themed 5-pack with all new sculpts. Make it Gold Label to the online store. And just by way of example, make it a Loeb/Sale theme based on Long Halloween, When in Rome, and Dark Victory. Make it Batman, Joker, Scarecrow, Catwoman, and Grundy. $140.00 retail as Grundy is deluxe, but offer and early bird discount code. Do it for the holidays. Then watch Target and Wal Mart want one for the following year.
I'd prefer 5 packs in the style of the BAF sets with one larger figure for $100. I feel more like I'm getting a bulk discount on those.

The 4 Supermen from Reign plus Doomsday would be an insta-buy.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1423
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:10 am

bananaman wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:03 am
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:23 pm
Wallace West shipped out today. Power Ring preordered. Still waiting for my Ocean Master preorder. Still a hard target search for Shazam and Kyle II. Changed my mind again on Kyle after seeing more pics. That’s my entire watch list at the moment.

Kind of a low number for me. I’m used to double that. So much shipping, Todd almost has to announce some new stuff soon-ish.
Tommy, I'm a little behind the curve on this one.Where did you order Wallace West? I wouldn't mind picking him up
McFarlane Toy Store online exclusive.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:25 am

Yep, Todd’s store.

I’m more than a little impressed with how fast and efficient they are.
User avatar
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: On a Dark Desert Highway
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:28 am

Thanks both!

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”