McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:58 pm

SammaeL wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:28 pm

I would gladly pay $30 a figure if the articulation style was more in line with Legends/Selects
That's an interesting statement, considering how basically every MS has a completely different articulation scheme so you almost never know what to expect.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:19 pm

Dusty wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:23 pm
Anyhoozits, what does anyone else think? Are their figures too heavy and big, are the sculpts good, is the size better at 7-8”… or is McF just not hitting the mark with DC stuff?
I’ve lamented character selection at times, but I’ve never disliked the figures themselves. One figure I picked up during my ongoing binge is the McFarlane Wonder Woman. I didn’t care much for the figure’s aesthetics in person as I thought I would, so she was headed for the eBay bin. I tend to be very gentle with my figures and don’t do a lot of posing, but since I wasn’t keeping the figure, I decided to really push it to see what the figure could do.

Man, what fun that figure is just from a pure toy standpoint! She has some of the best range I’ve ever seen on a female figure. Even her head can turn 360 which is almost unheard of for a figure with sculpted long hair. She can do a perfect, natural looking split, kick up, kick back…I couldn’t put her down.

So as far as articulation and durability go, she gets an A+. Of course the thing with McFarlane is that almost every figure is unique compared to the more standardized Hasbro and Mattel figures, so you’re mileage may very.

As for character selection, if you don’t understand what McFarlane is doing, then you likely aren’t keeping current with DC comics themselves. I know I wasn’t. I hadn’t read DC (or much Marvel) in years. The figures got me reading again, and once I did, the character selection made sense. It’s a reflection of what’s going on in the books. It’s one multiverse event after another, and it’s very Bat-Centric. After reading some articles and watching some You Tube videos on sales data, It seems that Batman books are about the only DC books that sell. I still wish there was an even wider range of character selection, but now I realize that’s not on McFarlane. That’s on DC having no idea how to market anything that doesn’t sell itself (i.e. Batman).
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:22 pm

I’ve had my issues with McFarlane, most of which have either been addressed or I’ve gotten over. I think he’s doing a great job. He won me over. Period.

My remaining issues are personal viewpoints. I only collect comic figures so my following statements only apply to that portion of this line.

1) Direction: It’s almost like Todd’s drunk, blindfolded, and firing a sawed off shotgun at moving targets. It’s all over the place. I think now I’d like to see some focus.

2) Character Selection: I do understand that DCUC was a once in a lifetime proposition. I’m not looking for that anymore, as nice as that would be. But DC is all about Legacy now. And I don’t see the problem with any JSA, JLA, or Titans members as well as any other Legacy teams like Young Justice, Birds of Prey, GLC, the Outlaws, the Outsiders, Infinity Inc., etc. The various Legacy Families, large or small, go without saying. Team building=world building. And I truly think it’s time. Even if it’s gotta be mostly current versions of these characters.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:18 pm

As someone who hated and didn’t collect the previous DC lines, no, I’m not disappointed McFarlane has the line at all. I wasn’t disappointed back in 2020 and I definitely am not now.

This feels like a 2020 post. I thought we were past this…especially for those that collect this line.

“The line is 7.” So is neca, what’s the problem? It doesn’t match marvel legends? Well it matches marvel select. Star Wars isn’t in scale with marvel legends either. I don’t hear the complaints with that.

The articulation scheme. It’s almost identical to Mafex. Yes the ab crunch isn’t always there but overall it’s pretty dynamic. Marvel legends isn’t superior. Marvel legends can’t do the splits, they can’t do any torso leans, the shoulders can’t shift in the socket. Just because it’s not what you’re used to doesn’t mean you can’t pull off some great poses.

The most common thing I hear about Mattel’s run is “well it was getting better.” A decade of a simplistic articulation scheme only to finally update at the end doesn’t save it. It was too little too late. I don’t like trashing on figures that people might like but even at the end, lots of figures looked like garbage. All the last generation Batman’s were terrible. They looked like bootleg toys.

Everyone’s looking at these other lines with rose colored glasses I think. Longing for the days of DCUC is longing for single jointed elbows, knees, lack of ankle rocker etc. it’s great they hit a lot of classics in the line but if you think McFarlane figures can’t pose then I don’t know what you’re doing. How did you pose the DCUC?

If you think ML post better than DC Multiverse then I don’t know what you’re doing. Show me spidey doing the splits, don’t worry, I’ll wait.

McFarlane just requires you to learn something new. They can hit tons of great poses but you have to forget what you did with other figure lines and try new things.

I have some minor gripes with the line but at the end of the day, if McFarlane wasn’t making dc figures I wouldn’t be collecting dc figures. His approach is the only reason I’m collecting. His approach has made me cut back on all other lines. When he loses the license I’m likely out.

If you’re disappointed with the figures, just don’t collect them.
vicious7171
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:38 pm

Ab crunch isn't always there? More like, it's almost never there. And I'm not trying to troll you or this thread, I'm just saying, it's been an issue and I would buy more McF figures if they could nail it more regularly.
maverick10126

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:28 pm

vicious7171 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:38 pm
Ab crunch isn't always there? More like, it's almost never there. And I'm not trying to troll you or this thread, I'm just saying, it's been an issue and I would buy more McF figures if they could nail it more regularly.
Ab crunch is showing up more now that he’s switched to double barbell design for the upper torso rather than the ball peg socket design. Ultraman actually has an ab crunch. Rebirth Batman as well. I think the whole thing would be solved if he just notched the socket like we all end up doing but that double ball design in the upper torso adds one more point in the torso (3 vs 2) so the figures can finally crunch.

But yes, it’s rare that it works. But…I love that torso tilt so much. It’s one of those things, it’s not perfect articulation but it’s silly to claim ML isn’t without problems either. ML just happens to have different problems that collectors have gotten used to.

I think it’s the same with the aesthetics. We have gotten used to ML. McFarlane has some proportion issues at times (I’m not a fan of the 3J mold…especially the lower legs) but at least there’s hope that figures will be retired soon. ML is stuck with the sunfire body with the weird traps, small shoulders and ugly biceps for a long time. When Todd misses you gotta suck it up for one or maybe two releases. ML you’re stuck for years.
Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 pm

Why is it so important for a figure to do the splits? Is that a common pose for any character besides JCVD? I couldn't give a crap if my toys can do the splits, as I don't have any reason to make them do the splits.

Some of MCF's articulation is good, some of it is horrible. Some of their sculpts are good, some are terrible. Some of their character selection is good, some is boring and repetitive. I'm extremely happy with what I'm happy with, and quite disappointed with what I am not. It's a hot/cold line for me. My disappointments aren't enough to make me quit the line, I just wish Todd would do better, since he has proven he can.

If Todd went deeper into character selection, this line might rival Marvel Legends in my heart, but Legends' world building is unmatched, and it seems that Todd and DC aren't really interested in that, so for me, they shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate in comparison to Hasbro.

The fact that we still don't have a Wonder Woman to go with our multiple standard Supes and Bats is just confusing and frustrating. Still no Power Girl, or Starfire or Catwoman. And we know that's because they are against making female characters because WB and DC and MCF are cartoonish cigar-chomping fat cat villains from the 1980s, apparently. Female characters don't sell? No, according to every store I've ever been to, The Batman movie characters are what don't sell, especially that ugly ass drifter Bruce thing that nobody wants even on clearance. But bad movie figures seem to be a failing of nearly every toy line.

In summation, I love MCF DC Multiverse, but I would love it even more if we had more variety in characters.
vicious7171
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:16 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:28 pm
But yes, it’s rare that it works. But…I love that torso tilt so much. It’s one of those things, it’s not perfect articulation but it’s silly to claim ML isn’t without problems either. ML just happens to have different problems that collectors have gotten used to.
For sure. FWIW I think how Power Rangers or GI Joe lines approach it is best for a sub-$30 retail toy, one torso joint specifically for crunch, one that works better as a swivel/tilt. Marvel Legends are feeling more dated every year. Luckily they're taking baby steps towards improving them just in general, just like McF. Looking forward to my first double-barbell McF then, almost bought Rebirth but I really want some cool villains.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:18 pm

Articulation doesn’t need to be uniform or universal. It should be character specific. Solomon Grundy needs 14 POA. But Grundy does need to be 10” or 11” tall. Nightwing needs 30 POA. I just think articulation should be built into the sculpt during sculpting, not cut in afterwards. That’s what makes it awkward looking or out of proportion.

I mean we’re talking superheroes right? A 54” chest to a 28” waist is nearly impossible on a human male anyway.
maverick10126

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:46 pm

Spider-Man’s articulation in ML has been one of the most inexcusable things on the ML front. He absolutely needs to be able to do the splits. The fact that He can’t spread his legs farther than me is just crazy. It’s not so much that a character needs to do the splits, but posing one leg fully split works great for web slinging poses.

I do agree that we need more variety in the line and that not having a classic WW is crazy. That’s one of its faults.

It’s not a perfect line, it has its problems. But there’s so many pluses imo compared to what came before.
markhamknight
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm

SammaeL wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:28 pm
I would gladly pay $30 a figure if the articulation style was more in line with Legends/Selects and the wonky proportions were ironed out. Also, no more diapers. Just my personal opinions.
MS is SUPER hit and miss with articulation, and I'll take less articulation for all the amazing sculpts we get vs what ML has to offer... Anyone tired of Bucky/Cap? Oh everyone is? Yeah, sounds about right.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Nik wrote:
Why is it so important for a figure to do the splits? Is that a common pose for any character besides JCVD? I couldn't give a crap if my toys can do the splits, as I don't have any reason to make them do the splits.

You may not care, but the people who do more than just display their figures on a shelf care a lot about decent leg articulation.

This is why you want your action figures to be able to do the “splits”. It’s not really to have them do cheerleader poses. It’s to be able to get them in all sorts of dynamic action and fight poses.

For example. Here is the Marvel Legends Shang-Chi “Master of Kung-Fu” doing a side-kick. A pretty standard martial arts move. But since the figure can’t even come close to doing a split, you can only get his leg up to about waist level, and that’s only if you have the other figure crouching. It’s extremely frustrating.

The only way to have Shang-Chi (you know the “Master” of Kung-Fu) kick an enemy in the head is to have him do a combination front-kick / side-sick, which looks a little goofy and awkward. You’d think of all characters Hasbro would give Shang-Chi decent leg articulation. (And Spider-Man, and Daredevil, and any other agile characters).

By comparison, here is the McFarlane 3-Jokers Batman doing a side kick pose. Nuff said.

Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:27 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 pm
Nik wrote:

You may not care, but the people who do more than just display their figures on a shelf care a lot about decent leg articulation.

This is why you want your action figures to be able to do the “splits”. It’s not really to have them do cheerleader poses. It’s to be able to get them in all sorts of dynamic action and fight poses.

For example. Here is the Marvel Legends Shang-Chi “Master of Kung-Fu” doing a side-kick. A pretty standard martial arts move. But since the figure can’t even come close to doing a split, you can only get his leg up to about waist level, and that’s only if you have the other figure crouching. It’s extremely frustrating.

The only way to have Shang-Chi (you know the “Master” of Kung-Fu) kick an enemy in the head is to have him do a combination front-kick / side-sick, which looks a little goofy and awkward. You’d think of all characters Hasbro would give Shang-Chi decent leg articulation. (And Spider-Man, and Daredevil, and any other agile characters).

By comparison, here is the McFarlane 3-Jokers Batman doing a side kick pose. Nuff said.

Thank you for the attitude adjustment, Ninjak. Information assimilated. I don't know why my dumbass brain didn't think of anything but straight up gymnast splits. And I actually play with my toys so I've assuredly run into this problem myself.

Definitely a case of morning brain.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:51 pm

Yeah, I even want Grundy to be able to do the splits. If I want static characters, I’ll buy a statue. I want full articulation and full range of joint movement on every figure.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:46 pm
Spider-Man’s articulation in ML has been one of the most inexcusable things on the ML front. He absolutely needs to be able to do the splits. The fact that He can’t spread his legs farther than me is just crazy. It’s not so much that a character needs to do the splits, but posing one leg fully split works great for web slinging poses.

I do agree that we need more variety in the line and that not having a classic WW is crazy. That’s one of its faults.

It’s not a perfect line, it has its problems. But there’s so many pluses imo compared to what came before.
2018 Cable being totally phoned in from the waist down kinda ended my ML collecting. I still bought the X-stuff in 2019 but that was my last hurrah. Then I gave the retro Spidey a shot 2 years later......and total bust. It's not Romita art by a mile and Pizza Spidey had better poseability. He couldn't crouch the way I needed and the way people rave about it or about it being "classic" is mind numbing. It's overly jacked - he never was drawn that ripped in the 60s-70s.

Todd gets props for so many hits. His misses bummed me out a bit, but still fun. Now Legends has some great stuff in the pipeline once again and I will try these new Spider-mans, Avengers and hopefully a redemption on Cable. Should be an interesting year....but I gotta say I picked up Vulcan last Wednesday and he's a very nice figure. But there's paint slop on him and I don't like articulation cuts on the chest. Then yesterday picked up Ninja Spawn (on sale btw) and he blows him away.

Todd has his faults but it's tough to get into other comic lines because they can look pretty damn plain by comparison and aren't nearly as "better" as some would you have think. The next 12 months will be interesting to see where both lines go.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”