Thoughts on Beast Kingdom?

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Thoughts on Beast Kingdom?

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm

jimbles wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:06 pm
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Looks a little thicker than the Storm version, which is nice, but I think the Storm figure looks better in every other way.
I've got just about every major Storm figure released to date, and I skipped Darkseid because I felt like his head was too... tiny and humanoid, I guess. It just rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I contemplated buying it and putting the older Mattel DC Unlimited head on it. This new one is more up my alley and if it's both cheaper than the Storm (at current market price) and roughly big enough (Storm Lobo height or taller) when reviews come out, I'll put down for it.

I think that's fair. If the reviews are good, I would be willing to replace my Storm version, but Storm makes a damn good toy. Their Darkseid is tough to beat.

The wrists on this guy are also extremely ugly.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:30 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:57 pm
The 89 Batman and Joker went up on BBTS today for preorder. Put mine in, as I'm a sucker for Batman 89, but I hope the figures are worth the price.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually jumped on these. Interested to see who els we get. I have several on Po but none in hand as yet, DAH has my attention but final quality will determine if I continue or not. The Darkseid for instance looks good also. I have Superman and both DKR Bats on PO already and looking forward to seeing the final product.
bat1975
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 pm

I ordered these directly from Beast Kingdom, as they tend to ship a little more quickly than BBTS. The Dark Knight Returns figure (black/grey suit) should be hopefully shipping soon.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:04 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 pm
The wrists on this guy are also extremely ugly.
Yeah, they're a little awkward. And the more I look at him, his legs seem... short. It basically gives him Wolverine proportions.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:50 am

I pre-ordered the 89 Batman and Joker, but not sure I'll go through with it. They're expensive as hell, and neither one are even close to screen accurate.

Joker looks particularly bad. There's nothing at all in that face sculpt that suggests Jack, but I passed on the Hot Toys all those years ago and this is the first thing that's come along since. At least the costume looks OK.

It sucks that something this expensive has to be ordered a year in advance. If you actually want to wait and see how they are before you buy, they'll be long sold out. So if they're good, you're looking at paying twice the already exorbitant price. And if they suck, you're out a few hundred bucks for taking the chance.
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:43 pm

I already bought the Mezco 89, which looks better (as a prototype at least) than these. Likenesses look off, but with these a year away, they still might beat Mezco to ship...

Even still, if the Joker was the right scale as Mezco, I'd probably get one, but at 8 inches, it's an odd scale for my shelf. Still very tempted, though, even though I have all the 89 and Returns Hot Toys.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:18 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Yeah, that's fair (regarding the year). I wonder if they're a little higher to offset Jack's license, I can't imagine his rights were cheap.

Oh, who am I kidding...I'll end up ordering these lol
lol. Yeah, true @ Jack. That can't have been fun to see whatever figure they asked for.
bananaman wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
The 89 Batman and Joker went up on BBTS today for preorder. Put mine in, as I'm a sucker for Batman 89, but I hope the figures are worth the price.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually jumped on these. Interested to see who els we get. I have several on Po but none in hand as yet, DAH has my attention but final quality will determine if I continue or not. The Darkseid for instance looks good also. I have Superman and both DKR Bats on PO already and looking forward to seeing the final product.
I'm surprised that they went with New 52 for Darkseid and not the classic version, but it still looks like a nice figure.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:04 pm

pr1983 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:18 pm
TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Yeah, that's fair (regarding the year). I wonder if they're a little higher to offset Jack's license, I can't imagine his rights were cheap.

Oh, who am I kidding...I'll end up ordering these lol
lol. Yeah, true @ Jack. That can't have been fun to see whatever figure they asked for.
bananaman wrote:
pr1983 wrote:
I'm surprised that they went with New 52 for Darkseid and not the classic version, but it still looks like a nice figure.
Agreed on both points.There is enough 'classic' for my personal taste and I did place a PO, I think his size will work for multiple lines. Really want a figure in hand now to determine the quality of the final product.
bat1975
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:59 pm

So this is bizarre: I just got a shipping notice from Beast Kingdom for the TDKR 2-pack (yellow oval Batman & Robin) that I ordered directly from them. Supposed to arrive this week. Has to be some kind of mistake, right? They haven't even released the black version yet!
bat1975
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:13 am

Yup, it was a mistake. Got the apology email from BK just now.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”