Hasbro's Starting Line Up

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
thewyldman
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Hasbro's Starting Line Up

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Starting line up is returning from Hasbro! While the original line was mostly static figures, is it possible that these are posable 6 inch figures? More to come soon
thewyldman
Runs Around in Tights

Re: Hasbro's Starting Line Up

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:36 pm

Hmm looks like the tweet and announcement might have gone up early...
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:49 pm

Interesting! The first couple of years of Starting Lineup back in the day were awesome - even with the limited poses, meager articulation, mediocre likenesses - because they actually made 4 or 5 players on each team. As it went on, they tended to do the same batch of superstars only and it got a little repetitive.

Curious what they could do at this point with a set of maybe 12 or so main bucks for different player heights and builds - add face print technology, two heads each with caps and batting helmets, interchangeable hands with gloves, batting gloves, and assorted grips, with things like catching gear as needed, sunglasses, etc. Pack a lot in, and go nuts with the home/away/alternate/all-star uniform variants.
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:17 pm

Interesting to see what this is like. I had a bunch back in the day.
I really would like them to do one of my favorite players from the original line-up, Barry Larkin. I played with that so much his number 11 completely wore off. I'd also be tempted if they released Pete Rose or Johnny Bench.
And will it be just Baseball, or all sports. Of current players, I'd take a Joe Burrow.
Will definitely be eager to see exactly what this line is.

Sent from The Void using My Incredible Mind

fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:28 pm

I realized after I wrote my comment that even though my mind went to baseball, who knows which sports they might be targeting. Launch date is Sept 22, 2022 supposedly and it will be tied into Fanatics somehow (I was able to look at the cached version of the page).

And going backwards to all-time greats would also make sense.
thewyldman
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:37 pm

Oh they are doing all-time greats? Probably better than risking soliciting players a year in advance with trades and other issues (if these started up earlier there would probably be a warehouse full of Deshaun Watson figures). But hey give us a Fridge, Hasbro.
Ultramane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 am

https://hasbropulse.com/pages/starting-lineup

this is the link i just got in an email from pulse which worked when i clicked on it two minutes ago
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:26 am

The prospect of having a Bo Jackson to add to my video game figure shelf excites me greatly

Ooh, and a Rodman to toss a nWo shirt on
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:56 am

They may have aged poorly, but I loved these figures when they came out. I still have a bunch of them in storage. I only really care about these if they make NHL figures and I know that will only come if other leagues are successful. I'm not really interested in more static figures like we've seen in past sports toys, so I hope there is some decent articulation being planned.
mechamajin
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:17 pm

I need a Suns Barkley to go with my MAFEX Jordan
Nik
CROM!

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:37 pm

I hope they are fully articulated, and that they make players from the whole history of each sport. I probably won't buy any as they will most likely be sticking with mainstream sports, but I'm super happy for everyone that is excited for baseball, football, hockey etc figures.

Now, if they made a line of highly articulated pro skateboarders, they would have all of my money. Imagine it, they could have magnets in their feet to stick to the skateboards via the metal trucks, and utilizing flight stands and stair set or ramp dios would make for some beautiful displays.

But as far as what they are realistically going to actually make, I might be in for a few NBA players, namely Mugsy Bogues, Spud Webb, Scott Skiles and Manute Bol.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:57 pm

I'm super pumped but also I have a lot of questions. What sports are they going to cover? How many figures per "wave" if they are gonna cover all sports? Are they going to be 1/12th scale? Are they gonna be articulated or similar to the old SLU figures? Price point? I'm a super NFL and NBA fan, and for a long time the only "action figures" I collected were the McFarlane sports picks back in the day. Despite McFarlane retiring his sports picks line back in 2019, I still own more sports figures than regular action figures. In fact, I think a big part of the reason I got back into collecting super hero stuff so heavily was because I had a void to fill when McFarlane canceled the Sports Picks line. Don't get me wrong, regardless of what happened with the Sports Picks line, I would have still eventually got into Mafex and Mezco, but once Sports Picks was done, I got into ML pretty heavy because they were the easiest to collect....Just recently, Imports Dragon picked up the license to the NFL, so they are making NFL figures in the same style McFarlane used to now, which is pretty sweet being able to buy football figures again.

But the fact that there could be even more sports figures in the pipeline with the reboot of SLU is pretty exciting. I just am curious how they will do it this time. The thing that worries me most, is that for some reason I picture them releasing articulated 1/12th scale figures in mixed sport waves. Like 4 or 5 waves per year, of like 6-8 figures total from all sports. Meaning we will only get 5 or 6 players from each league every year which would be kind of lame. I'm hoping they do waves for each sport instead like they used to do it, because if they do it that way we might actually get a decent amount of players from every league, as apposed to just getting the big names from mixed sport waves. The fact that at least right now, it sounds like these are going to be online exclusives between Pulse and Fanatics also kind of worries me that if they don't have high sales right away the line could fade fast...

Either way, I'm eager to see what this reboot will end up being!
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:59 pm

I remember the first baseball set having a big selection of players and also being very regional. IIRC, there were select All-stars shipping everywhere along with players specific to the market. My card/comic store had cases of figures that couldn't be found in the NY/MA/CT at 2 or 3 times retail price. Pre-internet toy buying. Also, the first time I felt like I was competing against adult buyers.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:52 pm

Oh man, I missed this news. I had a ton of the NBA figures as a kid and I loved them. I do hope they make classic players, though. I turn 40 this year, I'm not going to be buying figures of current players in their 20s. But for players from back in the day, I'm all in
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 pm

mechamajin wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:17 pm
I need a Suns Barkley to go with my MAFEX Jordan

I doubt we'll get him. He doesn't give out his license to NBA 2K, he's probably the biggest star not in that game. The have other guys from that era like Jordan, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Hakeem, but they can't get Barkley.

He wants NBA 2K to pay older players, players older than him who played when they didn't make a lot of money, a million dollars a year. NBA 2K isn't willing to do it, so he's never in the games. I doubt Hasbro will be willing to do it, too. Though maybe I'm wrong.

https://youtu.be/MR1nti_OddA?t=115

And I doubt Hasbro will have soft goods jerseys, so it won't really work with MAFEX NBA figures.

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”