Hasbro's Starting Line Up

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Hasbro's Starting Line Up

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:19 pm

I hope they get to do some NHL players, personally.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:43 am

I would guess they'll pass on any BAF concept with this line. It'll keep the unique sculpts more affordable, as it does with the Black Series. They'll have a chance to make their money back on unique sculpts, though. A LeBron figure could come in Team USA, Cleveland, Miami, and LA home and away colors.

Neil Magnum wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:15 pm
There will probably be more teases before September and I bet one of the other leagues will also be involved. If its MLB, of the current players I'd really want a Shohei.

I'm curious to see what they do with the other leagues. I don't think the individual players in other leagues are nearly as marketable as they are in the NBA. Who are the most well-known baseball players right now? Trout, Ohtani, and Judge? I'm not sure if any non-baseball fans would recognize those players. Not to say that casual fans are buying these products, but the NBA has the most household names. Even the NFL, which is by far the most popular American sports league, can't compete with the NBA.

When Matthew Stafford showed up in that AT&T commercial the first time, I didn't recognize him. Beyond Rodgers, Brady, and Mahomes, I think the NFL would run into the same problems as MLB.

And hockey, well, sorry hockey fans.
Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:16 pm

LOL TheSameIdiot - universal litmus test of overall sports celebrity awareness.

The old Starting Lineup hockey line was pretty deep - we even had little diorama displays of the ice and boards.
theflicker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:01 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:I would guess they'll pass on any BAF concept with this line. It'll keep the unique sculpts more affordable, as it does with the Black Series. They'll have a chance to make their money back on unique sculpts, though. A LeBron figure could come in Team USA, Cleveland, Miami, and LA home and away colors.

Neil Magnum wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:15 pm
There will probably be more teases before September and I bet one of the other leagues will also be involved. If its MLB, of the current players I'd really want a Shohei.

I'm curious to see what they do with the other leagues. I don't think the individual players in other leagues are nearly as marketable as they are in the NBA. Who are the most well-known baseball players right now? Trout, Ohtani, and Judge? I'm not sure if any non-baseball fans would recognize those players. Not to say that casual fans are buying these products, but the NBA has the most household names. Even the NFL, which is by far the most popular American sports league, can't compete with the NBA.

When Matthew Stafford showed up in that AT&T commercial the first time, I didn't recognize him. Beyond Rodgers, Brady, and Mahomes, I think the NFL would run into the same problems as MLB.

And hockey, well, sorry hockey fans.
Funny thing with Stafford is I still look him up when the commercial runs because I'm like "Am I supposed to know who this uninteresting person is?"

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:38 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 pm
Cleveland LeBron is my #1 realistic want for this line. The MAFEX figure was great, but I have no need for any Lakers memorabilia in my house.
This times a million.

I need a LeBron in Championship Cavs uniform.

Game 7 of the 2016 Finals was the greatest sports moment I've ever witnessed in my entire life. I'd love to have LeBron, Kevin Love, and Kyrie on my shelf to commemorate it, but I'll settle for just LeBron.

Sadly, I doubt it'll happen though. He and his team are very much about his current branding/image, and they wanna associate him with the Lakers and the Lakers only. I was shocked to actually see a few glimpses of him in the Cavs uniform and the odious Heat uniform in the few minutes of Space Jam 2 I sat through.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:33 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
I don't think the individual players in other leagues are nearly as marketable as they are in the NBA. Who are the most well-known baseball players right now? Trout, Ohtani, and Judge? I'm not sure if any non-baseball fans would recognize those players. Not to say that casual fans are buying these products, but the NBA has the most household names.
I think there are very few players in any sport that people who are not fans of that particular team would buy merchandise for. There are a small number of players that kids like regardless of team because they are the best in the sport, and adult fans may collect those as well if they are truly future Hall of Fame all-time greats - but I think for the most part teens/adults are fans of a particular team. Which is what makes SLU kind of a weird property - do you only produce that dozen or so "national" players each year, or do you try to go deep using digital sculpting and face printing for heads while using an assortment of bucks/parts to cover a wide range of body sizes to make 100 different players.

For me, I'm not buying a Trout or Judge figure no matter what, but any Seattle Mariner they make I'll buy.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:41 am

I like my pro athletes the same way I like my comic book superheroes...from the 80s and 90s :lol: .
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 am

os189 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:38 pm
TheSameIdiot wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 pm
Cleveland LeBron is my #1 realistic want for this line. The MAFEX figure was great, but I have no need for any Lakers memorabilia in my house.
This times a million.

I need a LeBron in Championship Cavs uniform.

Game 7 of the 2016 Finals was the greatest sports moment I've ever witnessed in my entire life. I'd love to have LeBron, Kevin Love, and Kyrie on my shelf to commemorate it, but I'll settle for just LeBron.
Toss in shirtless celebration parade JR Smith while we’re at it
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:43 am

Enforcer wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:16 pm
LOL TheSameIdiot - universal litmus test of overall sports celebrity awareness.

The old Starting Lineup hockey line was pretty deep - we even had little diorama displays of the ice and boards.

I'm a pretty big sports fan. I didn't pick up on the fact that it was Stafford until I heard the dialogue.

fac wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:33 pm
TheSameIdiot wrote:
I don't think the individual players in other leagues are nearly as marketable as they are in the NBA. Who are the most well-known baseball players right now? Trout, Ohtani, and Judge? I'm not sure if any non-baseball fans would recognize those players. Not to say that casual fans are buying these products, but the NBA has the most household names.
I think there are very few players in any sport that people who are not fans of that particular team would buy merchandise for. There are a small number of players that kids like regardless of team because they are the best in the sport, and adult fans may collect those as well if they are truly future Hall of Fame all-time greats - but I think for the most part teens/adults are fans of a particular team. Which is what makes SLU kind of a weird property - do you only produce that dozen or so "national" players each year, or do you try to go deep using digital sculpting and face printing for heads while using an assortment of bucks/parts to cover a wide range of body sizes to make 100 different players.

For me, I'm not buying a Trout or Judge figure no matter what, but any Seattle Mariner they make I'll buy.

Yeah, I think this is the big question. I felt the same way when the McFarlane Sports line was running. I only bought figures from my favorite teams.
BruceKent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:58 pm

Give me all the Lebron you want Hasbro!
batdan
Avengers Assemble

Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:10 pm

I'm in for a Larry Legend. They should be living in the past as much as they are current. Gimmie a Gretz, Snake Stabler, Dr J, and a Canseco/McGuire A's Bash-Brother 2-pack, and I am all in....
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:07 pm

I think the Funko Gold figures would be a pretty close representation of what players Hasbro could get the rights for:

https://www.coleka.com/en/collector-act ... d_tag=5023
felgekarp
Avengers Assemble

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:05 am

Can we get Ogie Oglethorpe and the Hanson brothers?
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:06 pm

If I don't get Jordan, Bird, Magic, Bo, or Gretzky, no dice.
mechamajin
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:45 pm

my classic wish list is

Bird
Magic
MJ
Barkley
Ken Griffey Jr

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”