Mattel Jurassic Park Lines

WHO YA GONNA CALL? YO JOE! - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, GI Joe, and WWE - it's all in here!
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:13 pm

snakeyjones wrote:Picked up Hammond Ceratosaurs and Triceratops at Toys R us here in Malaysia.

Ceratosaurs

- Chonky
- Articulation is virtually identical to the Baryonyx
- Really digging the color scheme
- Joints are tighter and overall feels sturdier than my copy of the Baryonyx, makes it easier to pose and balance
- Probably my favorite of the series so far.

Triceratops

- Sculpt and paintwork are really good
- Swivel hinge for the hips, knees and ankles; though the way the ankles are oriented means there's no rocker. Ball for the base of the skull. Ball for the base of the tail and another at the mid point
- Really could have used a mid torso joint imo
- Neck articulation is disappointing, barely any side to side or up and down; functionally a swivel. Wish they put a hinge so it can look down for charging poses
- We already knew this but NO JAW HINGE. How? Why? It's a small thing but it could have added so much personality to a pose
- To be fair there's only so much you can do with a Triceratops poseability wise, it's basically a Cow with a shield on its face.
- Of the figures I have from this series, honestly my least favorite. Basically a plastic potato

All the mid tier price point bois

And why pray tell, is the Triceratops smaller than the baryonx? Triceratops was literally about the size of an M-1 Abrams tank. That’s twice the size of a Rhinoceros. The trike should honestly be the largest figure in that particular squad….Honestly the folks at Mattel need to get away from the office and go to a museum from time to time….and maybe even take a math class and learn how to do proper scale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Mattel Jurassic Park Lines

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:44 pm

The Triceratops is the first Hammond Collection Dino I plan on skipping. It’s too small. I have a few of David Silvia’s Ceratopsian figures, and They spoiled me.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:35 pm

I found Malcolm on clearance for 50% today so I finally grabbed him.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:29 am

The triceratops seems like a disappointment. It’s probably my favorite dinosaur but it just doesn’t get proper love from Mattel’s designers. Maybe I’ll skip this one and put the money into one of Silva’s. His are expensive so I’ve skipped them. But Mattel seems to have screwed up this Hammond one. Just disappointing.
panther10

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:43 am

Ash Talon wrote:The triceratops seems like a disappointment. It’s probably my favorite dinosaur but it just doesn’t get proper love from Mattel’s designers. Maybe I’ll skip this one and put the money into one of Silva’s. His are expensive so I’ve skipped them. But Mattel seems to have screwed up this Hammond one. Just disappointing.
Bear in mind that the adult Triceratops from the Beasts of the Mesozoic line is about 3x the size of this itty bitty Mattel figure. It’s going to make the rest of the JP dinosaurs seem somewhat out of scale because not one single Dino In Mattel’s library has proved to be in the correct scale. It might even make rexy seem a little small in comparison

Here’s an example of the size difference between the actual 1/18 trike by Silva and the earliest Triceratops from Mattel in 2018

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:57 am

Wow, the Silva one is huge. Just makes the Hammond triceratops that much more disappointing.

I do wish they’d make a super colossal triceratops. It’s such an iconic dinosaur.
panther10

Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:35 pm

Ash Talon wrote:Wow, the Silva one is huge. Just makes the Hammond triceratops that much more disappointing.

I do wish they’d make a super colossal triceratops. It’s such an iconic dinosaur.
Yeah the Beasts of the Mesozoic trike is a biggun. Makes the Mattel triceratops look like a juvenile in comparison. And yeah the size of the upcoming trike is super disappointing. They made that thing look about as small as the protoceratops figure that came out a couple years back so I have absolutely no idea what Mattel was thinking when they produced this figure. Like I said they are overdue to a trip to a natural history museum. They should at least talk to a paleontologist or something….

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Had no idea this was coming but now that I've seen reviews it's must-have for Savage Land photography.
panther10

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 pm

Enforcer wrote:Had no idea this was coming but now that I've seen reviews it's must-have for Savage Land photography.
This Rex is 3 3/4” scale just so you are aware. It’s only 10 x 24” tall so nowhere near legends size

Enforcer
Pretentious Buck

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:06 pm

Good to know. I'll just fudge it in as a baby or scale it up in Photoshop or whatever.
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:07 am

Enforcer wrote:
Good to know. I'll just fudge it in as a baby or scale it up in Photoshop or whatever.
The Super Colossal T-Rex is much closer to 1/12th scale - not as detailed as the new Hammond but much better size-wise.
panther10

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:42 am

fac wrote:
Enforcer wrote:
The Super Colossal T-Rex is much closer to 1/12th scale - not as detailed as the new Hammond but much better size-wise.
There is the new super colossal Rex with the darker colors that’s available in the dominion lineup but yeah it doesn’t have the stripes on the back and it lacks a lot of the articulation to something that’s more basic. Hammond Collection Rex is still arguably the best Rex around if you just want a super articulated T-Rex, but at this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Mattel might just offer a scaled up version of Rexy that’s 1/12th scale on their Mattel Creations site and fits in with the now defunct Amber Collection. Hell if they were really generous the could even give us the remaining cast members as bonus tiers. That way we can finally get the kids, Gennaro maybe one of the tour vehicles and even Lewis Dodgson or Henry Wu?

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 am

I’ve sworn off the 1:18 JP stuff but impulse bought the Hammond Tyrannosaur, and I have no regrets. This thing is outstanding.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:45 am

It’s an early contender for Toy of the Year. Which makes the Hammond Triceratops that much more disappointing.

I don’t think they can just upscale the Hammond T-Rex to 1/12 scale. It would likely cost $150. I don’t see them doing it. Especially as they’ve moved away from 1/12 for the brand. You never know with Mattel Creations, though. It would be awesome to own.
joshsquash729
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:29 pm

Just got notice from BBTS that my Hammond Collection Rexy is processing soon. Hot diggity, once that sucker hits my pile of loot, I'm hitting "ship" so fast! :D

Return to “The Board for the Other Hasbro & Mattel Lines”