Your Home for Toy News and Action Figure Discussion!

Medicom: MAFEX Star Wars FN-2187 (The Force Awakens)

Everyone seems to have a love/hate relationship with MAFEX, myself included. Some are good, some are bad. I skipped on the First Order Stormtrooper when it released but I’ve heard good things so that added to the excellent looking Finn headsculpt and helmet blood effects may just sway me to grab this FN-2187.

Granted, my only other MAFEX with an exposed head has been Dawn of Justice Superman and it wasn’t that great. Not terrible but the colors are off. I’m hoping Medicom can continue their improvement streak that’s been going the past few releases. Not perfect figures but waaaay better than what we’ve seen in the past. I guess we’ll see with Rey and Kylo Ren.

FN-2187 comes with a variety of hands, a blaster, a pistol, and what I’m guessing is unmasked and masked heads. That or the helmet fits over Finn’s head spectacularly.

The unmasked head looks absolutely great, as does the blood swipes on the helmet. Yeah, okay, you got me again, Medicom.

MAFEX FN-2187 is scheduled for May and will cost about $48.

7 thoughts on “Medicom: MAFEX Star Wars FN-2187 (The Force Awakens)

1. If mafex does improve their face paint apps, I’d be interested in seeing where the line heads.

If it’s just going to be another instance of really nice promo pics, but mediocre execution, then it’ll take absolutely no effort for me to skip.

2. I usually defend MAFEX, but it’ll be a miracle if their head sculpt looks that good once it hits shelves. The base figure is great though, but it won’t mix with Figuarts well. Their Boba towers over the Figuarts Jango, for instance.

3. Right. Mafex is pretty much in scale with your Marvel Legends. You might be able to mix and match if it doesn’t bother you that much, but the Mafex figures usually look very large next to Figuarts.

4. I’ve heard rumors that Mafex will be switching to the dot matrix face printing tech that Figuarts uses starting with their Harley figure. I hope that’s the case, their sculpts are pretty good usually, but the paint on the human faces could be better at this price point.
    Quality is my biggest concern here. I really like Mafex, but I spend more time glueing parts back together than I do posing the figure, and I’m ridiculously careful with my figures. This stuff shouldn’t happen.

5. That head sculpt is amazing. My only concern would be, how does it scale next to the Figuarts? Mafex is usually taller, right?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *