Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Looking for a dose of entertainment? For movies, TV, and music - the Multiplex is your spot.
Prophet924
Thwipp!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Man I was hoping more discussion would be occurring here.

I have questions some I don’t think the movie addressed.
Spoiler! :
Egon has a daughter (with whom?) whom seems to be completely cut off from his Ghostbusting days…But Egon cuts ties with his Ghostbusting family to go keep Gozer at bay…It’s hard to follow these two stories especially when Jenine isn’t the mom.

I suppose if she were the mom it would reveal too much of the mystery of dirt farmer to audience.

It was the thing that nagged at the back of my head all entire movie. That and how much time passed. The family she had seemed too old for 30 years passing. If the kids mom were born 1986 then she’d have to have had her son 2006 for him to be 15. Not impossible. Just seemed improbable.
Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Prophet924 wrote:

Spoiler! :
Egon has a daughter (with whom?) whom seems to be completely cut off from his Ghostbusting days…But Egon cuts ties with his Ghostbusting family to go keep Gozer at bay…It’s hard to follow these two stories especially when Jenine isn’t the mom.

I suppose if she were the mom it would reveal too much of the mystery of dirt farmer to audience.

It was the thing that nagged at the back of my head all entire movie. That and how much time passed. The family she had seemed too old for 30 years passing. If the kids mom were born 1986 then she’d have to have had her son 2006 for him to be 15. Not impossible. Just seemed improbable.
Thwipp!

Spoiler! :
Egon was a lady's man. Everyone seemed to want him. Hard to say if those science chicks digged that large cranium of his or if they were more interested in his epididymis.

This is definitely a mystery that I doubt will ever be addressed even if they do more movies. I guess because it just doesn't need to be addressed. Egon had a daughter....somehow with someone and there's a good chance he wasn't emotionally connected enough and it ended when his daughter was super young. It's possible he didn't know how to be involved in her life. It seems to jive with him as a person.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:05 am

Most brutally honest and accurate review out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtrjNPcjR0

SPOILERS. See the movie first.
thor333us
CROM!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:39 am

You forgot a zero at the end. Spoiler review.
Spoiler! :
It's memba berries with some stuff that doesn't make sense mainly why wouldn't the team believe Egon and even then he could have just sent a video "hey I'm right now get down here."
Did he take all the proton packs because they all showed up with one.

I can't remember the old ones but was Gozer a temporary win? I missed the explanation how Gozer was able to come back.
It's like force awakens it's only 30 years but people think jedi are a myth and in this 30 years and they don't remember the ghosts. Anyone 40 and over would be know about them.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:25 am

thor333us wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:39 am
forgot a zero at the end
I'll see the movie and decide for myself first but I generally enjoy getting their take on stuff.
YinzerToyGuy
Faster than a speeding bullet

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 pm

After seeing so many of my friends literally gushing over how great this was on Facebook, gotta say I expected more.

Honestly, I thought it was just okay. I think all of the actors including the kids did a great job with what they were given, but the material itself was...just okay. Extremely predictable, nostalgia driven, but a fairly weak plot that was pretty much exactly what you might expect it to be, with a distinct lack of actual ghosts, or anything that ever felt particularly threatening or consequential, just replaying all the same beats from the first movie.

Nothing particularly new or exciting, nothing bad or insulting either.

The cartoon is a better sequel, honestly, and I would have preferred more references to it than the rehash we got.

It was fine.
Jedigreedo
CROM!

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 am

I really enjoyed it. It was almost everything I wanted it to be. I don't know that I'll regularly include it whenever I watch 1 & 2, but I'd certainly be happy to watch it again.
sanityattack
CROM!

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:26 pm

I very much enjoyed it, but I wish we got the 'passing the torch' movie in the 90's so the universe could have been expanded over the intervening years.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:06 am

YinzerToyGuy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 pm

The cartoon is a better sequel, honestly, and I would have preferred more references to it than the rehash we got.
I'm hoping they use the cartoon as a basis for a live-action GB Reboot series (with the original 4 characters), that would peak my interest in this franchise again.

GB Afterlife felt like a funeral.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:42 pm

Caught this yday and enjoyed it greatly. It's a very good sequel considering the 'dead' time since GB2. I dunno that I need to watch it a lot more times as - frankly - I don't really think Ghostbusters needs to be a franchise. It should have stayed a one-and-done flick, imho.

Dumb question time: why didn't Egon get sucked into the ghost trap? Why were StayPufts the only mascots to come alive? That's a lot of Mrs Butterworth licensing money left on the table, imho. What were the years carved in stone *after* 2021? Shandor was completely wasted, imho.
K_Steel
Prognostibator

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 am

Prophet924 wrote:

Spoiler! :

Thwipp!

Finally saw this thing on Digital. And I can answer some of those questions.

Egon's daughter was born before the events of Ghostbusters 1984. She's around 40 by 2021 (the time of GB Afterlife)

So Egon was potentially married in the early 80s and it fell apart, after a kid was born.

It doesn't really line up well with GB 84, but eh. It's a retcon.

The only weird part is Callie seems to have no memories of him, and can't recall meeting him before. So that means Egon abandoned everyone when she was at a very young age. Which conflicts with him being part of the Ghostbusters in the 1989 film.
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:37 pm

Egon can't have 'abandoned' them if he was still sane by the time the GB business was formed, imho. 'Abandoned' implies a literal fleeing of the area where the family lives, like running across state lines or whatnot. But Egon was still gainfully employed by Whatever University in NYC where his family lived. I'm thinking he and the wife separated simply because Egon's a weirdo alienated from his feelings n' all that typical shit; and the wife simply framed it as him 'abandoning' them. The years-later events of him going crazy off in the Nowhere are simply how the daughter now thinks the abandonment happened when it never actually did. That fits the movies' chronology.

Imho.
Benedict
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 pm

To quote the wiki (can’t remember where in the film it’s dropped in).

“ Egon once tried to drill a hole in his own head, utilizing a process known as trepanation. Egon believed it "would have worked" if Peter hadn't stopped him.”

There’s a good chance Egon simply wasn’t well suited to raise a family, being an obsessed mad scientist. Either he chose not to be a part of the family and later regretted it (keeping track of Callie’s achievements later in his life), or the mother told him to leave (and he kept track of Callie’s achievements later in his life because the mother wouldn’t allow him to be involved). Either way, the relationship was irreconcilable and that’s all you need to know going into the film.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:02 am

Benedict wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 pm
To quote the wiki (can’t remember where in the film it’s dropped in).

“ Egon once tried to drill a hole in his own head, utilizing a process known as trepanation. Egon believed it "would have worked" if Peter hadn't stopped him.”

There’s a good chance Egon simply wasn’t well suited to raise a family, being an obsessed mad scientist. Either he chose not to be a part of the family and later regretted it (keeping track of Callie’s achievements later in his life), or the mother told him to leave (and he kept track of Callie’s achievements later in his life because the mother wouldn’t allow him to be involved). Either way, the relationship was irreconcilable and that’s all you need to know going into the film.
It's just pretty early in the first movie:
https://youtu.be/97TwZgnKqA4

Return to “The Multiplex”