Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Dorkside Toys financial issues/future discussion

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:03 pm

I agree, Odowan. I don't actually expect them to address this situation publicly. But the silence speaks loudly. I can't put faith in that.
MarvelLegendsMan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:04 pm

As I've stated before, Dorkside is my favorite place to buy figures from, and I have rarely had any problems. Any time I have had an issue (and any issues were always minor) they have been resolved quickly and painlessly.

But I did email them nearly 3 days ago asking to cancel and provide a PayPal refund on an order from early 2021 that was still unfulfilled, and I have not gotten any response. That is unusual, they typically respond to me within 1-2 business days.

Concerning, as I also have another very pricey pre-ordered item for which I prepaid using PayPal.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:07 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, any paypal refunds don't seem at all likely.
yojoebro82 wrote:
Boggsy1982 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:45 pm
EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:21 pm
I still have pre-orders for the Mezco FF and Doom. No compelling reason to cancel them for now.
Click on the items you have pre-ordered though, they've disappeared from the site. If you haven't paid up front, I'm sure you could see how long it lasts, but from the way things look I don't think they'll get fulfilled unfortunately. If however, you did pay up front, I suggest contacting them as soon as possible.
Yeah, Mezco Superman is the only preorder I have through them and he (along with all other Mezco figures) is no longer on the site even though I do still see it in my preorder page.

ML X-Men retro perorders are gone too.

Not looking good.
They've done that in the past, even when things were great at Dorkside though. I had an outstanding preorder at one point and thought to order another but the page for the item had been taken down and I still received the original order when it came into stock. They typically removed items from the site when all their orders were spoken for without negating established preorders.

That may not be the case any longer, but given their previous practices it's not a definite red flag yet.
NORM wrote: I agree, Odowan. I don't actually expect them to address this situation publicly. But the silence speaks loudly. I can't put faith in that.
Right, it's not surprising they aren't saying anything but would still be a great move. I was also wondering if anyone like Robo or even Shartimus had any reaction to this.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:09 pm

It has never occurred to me to use PayPal to pay for things at e-tailers other than eBay. I don't even use PayPal for eBay anymore, I just started using my credit card once they allowed it. I mostly use PayPal for person to person orders now, trades and such.

Clearly there's some risk involved, as evidenced by this debacle. But what are the benefits of using PayPal? Why not just use a CC?
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:22 pm

NORM wrote:
It has never occurred to me to use PayPal to pay for things at e-tailers other than eBay. I don't even use PayPal for eBay anymore, I just started using my credit card once they allowed it. I mostly use PayPal for person to person orders now, trades and such.

Clearly there's some risk involved, as evidenced by this debacle. But what are the benefits of using PayPal? Why not just use a CC?
The pay in four option is the big appeal for me. Splitting the cost of a more expensive collectible over the course of multiple paychecks makes them a whole lot easier to afford sometimes.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:26 pm

NORM wrote:

I used to use paypal for all my collecting, when possible, especially when Dorkside was my primary source. I did it because I have a 'fun budget' every month, so I'd just deposit that into paypal and knew that's all I could afford to spend for that period. They took it out of paypal right away with preorders and I liked that because then I didn't have to worry about the funds when they finally shipped. I had one issue with Dorkside over paypal in 2018 or so that wasn't a dealbreaker but made me nervous enough to just use my credit card from then on, and also ultimately led to my rigid and frequently updated collecting excel sheet.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:30 pm

Gotcha, thanks for the input guys. That does make a lot of sense. I used to use my TRU Mastercard exclusively for collecting related purposes. It was a really good way for me to keep track of what I was spending a month, plus I'd get rewards coupons to use at TRU. Clearly, that was a while ago. Now I just put everything on the same CC, which gets hairy, as I've been less able to track how much I'm spending exclusively on the collection. I don't think I'd switch to PayPal for that though.

I know for sure that I'm spending way too much these days. And a lot of that went to Dorkside...
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:40 pm

Saw this post at Hiss Tank. Not looking good.
cinemaodyssey
HULK SMASH!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 pm

I seldom post here, but this topic hits home. I find it very troubling that none of the mods on here have addressed this issue with Dorkside. It is evident over the years that they have a good working relationship with them so they HAVE to know more about what's going on yet silence is all we've heard. I now have to pray that my One:12 Mr. Freeze pre-order somehow converts.
Ru_1977
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:51 pm

PG-Superfan wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:40 pm
Saw this post at Hiss Tank. Not looking good.
Well, once again I'm gonna say what a bummer it is.
cinemaodyssey wrote: I find it very troubling that none of the mods on here have addressed this issue with Dorkside. It is evident over the years that they have a good working relationship with them so they HAVE to know more about what's going on yet silence is all we've heard.
I feel the same way. I write it off as not wanting to stir things up until they have something definitive, but obviously I have no way of knowing.
MarvelLegendsMan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:04 pm

cinemaodyssey wrote:I seldom post here, but this topic hits home. I find it very troubling that none of the mods on here have addressed this issue with Dorkside. It is evident over the years that they have a good working relationship with them so they HAVE to know more about what's going on yet silence is all we've heard. I now have to pray that my One:12 Mr. Freeze pre-order somehow converts.
Yeah, well I pre-ordered my Mezco Fantastic Four from Dorkside... and paid for it up front. Which was dumb, I will fully admit. I was just in the habit of using PayPal when ordering from Dorkside. But it was definitely dumb.

Not looking good for that $420.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

KvHulk
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:04 pm

With the way things have been I'm just grateful this thread has not been deleted and we are free to discuss our completely warranted concerns.
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:10 pm

I am not sure why some people think any company should or would publicly respond to 2 "anonymous" posts made online?

I get that some people are concerned over PayPal pre-orders, and I totally understand that. I would want to know what is going on with my money too.

We have all seen the signs, we know where this is going. They'll address it when they have their ducks in a row...

While I have always appreciated their posting here, they really opened themselves up to this weird channel of aggression & criticism that we don't see toward other e-tailers like BBTS, EE, etc.
Odowan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 pm

Ru_1977 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:07 pm

They've done that in the past, even when things were great at Dorkside though. I had an outstanding preorder at one point and thought to order another but the page for the item had been taken down and I still received the original order when it came into stock. They typically removed items from the site when all their orders were spoken for without negating established preorders.

That may not be the case any longer, but given their previous practices it's not a definite red flag yet.
On its own, sure it's not necessarily a red flag. Combined with all preorders disappearing from the site though, it's a siren.
CTVampSlayer
X-23 gots a boyfriend

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 pm

Andru wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:10 pm

While I have always appreciated their posting here, they really opened themselves up to this weird channel of aggression & criticism that we don't see toward other e-tailers like BBTS, EE, etc.

Agreed. I'm not surprised they don't feel the need to publicly address people who basically harassed them.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”