Who or What Should Get a Retro Wave Next?

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Basilisk Bowbow
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Who or What Should Get a Retro Wave Next?

Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 am

Who should get the next retro wave? Great question. I'm with Team Hulk. Yes, we have a ton of Hulks. It's really the side characters I want and a dedicated wave is probably the most likely way to get them. I know they've done a couple of Abominations, but I'm not satisfied with them.

Doc Samson.
Rick Jones.
Mecha Hulk w/Gremlin
Gen. T-bolt Ross, hopefully with a stogie.
Zzzax
Betty Ross
Bruce Banner
Classic Abomination BAF.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Sun May 29, 2022 7:25 am

Well The Marvel/Capcom license celebrates its 30th anniversary in 1994 so maybe we could see some figures based on that? Perhaps a rerelease of the X-Men vs Street Fighter 2-packs from 1997? Or a brand new line of marvel super hero inspired capcom figs?

What else could be possible?

Ghost Rider?

Hulk?

The Onslaught Saga? But this time expand it to Include all of the Marvel characters that appeared in that story and not just X-Men. And put them in their comic accurate costumes from that period in the 90’s, that way it’s not all just reuse.

I can’t think of much else. I’m having a hard time separating the main waves in the 90’s from the excess and the glut. I want to say waves like Marvel Gold and Hall of Fame, but those are just repacks, and it’s too meta for us to get a repack wave, based on a line of repacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonan
Runs Around in Tights

Tue May 31, 2022 2:43 am

While I don't see it happening until some kind of MCU stuff is hinted at or announced, I undoubtedly would vote for a Ghost Rider wave before anything else. Can anyone believe this character is 50?! WHAT?! My pipedream of a wave, of course, would be some single cards and Legendary Riders done up the way the bike figures in the 90s were, but with modern sculpting ad artic, of course.

Riders:
1. Danny Ketch GR
2. Johnny Blaze GR-Classssssssssssic, but with the Red, flaming bike like the ToyBiz variant had, which is still my go-to GR in my display.
3. Vengeance
4. The freakin' ORB!

Cards:
1. Johnny Blaze, trench coat, ponytail, cigarette, lookin' as badass 90s anti-hero he can
2. Deathwatch
3. Blackout
4. Lilith-Rise of the Midnight Sons version or nothin'
5. Blade- Nightstalkers version, another recognizable character to help anchor the wave
6. Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider-I can't see us getting a charger and a figure for less than $60-75, but I'd happily take him by himself anyway. The logistics of displaying the Hellcharger would be a nightmare anyway.
7. Mephisto-If we haven't gotten him already.

Other than this or a cool Hulk wave, I'd definitely vote X-Men again. Ya can never go wrong there. Hi Spiral, Banshee, Chamber, Mesmero, Fang Wolverine.......
fac
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 31, 2022 3:10 am

I almost would argue against a Ghost Rider wave as we need the various GRs to come with bikes/cars or else I kind of don't see the point. Seems like it would make sense to lead with deluxe packs with bikes/cars, then make variants of the figures for a Retro wave.

But then again, I don't see Hasbro going that direction so maybe a wave would be good be a way to get us Mephisto and Blackheart, etc,
El Honez
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 31, 2022 4:25 am

I think Secret Wars should get a retro wave, if it's at all possible for Hasbro to use the old Mattel package design. And/or go even further back, and release some figures in Mego-style boxes. "World's Greatest Super-Heroes."

I'm dubious about the future of these retro waves though if Hasbro is truly committed to removing plastic from their packaging. Of the two I suggested, zero-plastic packaging would have the least impact on Mego tribute boxes. Not that Mego boxes didn't have windows, but they didn't rely on that bubble-on-card appeal.

(well, at least one release format didn't...)

sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

fac wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:10 am
I almost would argue against a Ghost Rider wave as we need the various GRs to come with bikes/cars or else I kind of don't see the point. Seems like it would make sense to lead with deluxe packs with bikes/cars, then make variants of the figures for a Retro wave.

But then again, I don't see Hasbro going that direction so maybe a wave would be good be a way to get us Mephisto and Blackheart, etc,
i Earlier in the thread I suggested there are more than enough bike-less GR characters to justify a wave:

sepster wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:15 pm
I will take that challenge. Here we go:

Blackout (Original Line)
Deathwatch
Skinner (Original Line)
Outcast (Original Line)
Zarathos (Original Line)
Lilith
Mephisto
the Orb
Zodiac
Scarecrow
Blade (Midnight Sons)

Riders:

Ghost Rider (Ketch)
Johnny Blaze (90s/Midnight Sons)
BILLIUM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Hasbro should upscale the new 80th Anniversary Captain America figure for an Ameridroid figure.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:14 pm

It would probably be pricey (think 6 deluxe figures), but I'd love to see Hulk get an entire Retro wave.

1. Smart Hulk (new body)

2. Abomination (Gamerverse Abomination base body, new feet, head, upper leg trunk overlays, back piece, and crotch piece)

3. Zzzax (new sculpt) with alternate Blip head

4. Madman (80th Hulk base body) with 2 alternate Leader heads

5. Glob (Man-Thing base body, new head, hands and feet)

6. Bi-Beast (new body with sculpted trunks that can later be reused for a 1st Appearance Avengers Hulk)

Fan Channel

1. Immortal Hulk (80th Hulk repaint) including alternate Cosmic/Robot Hulk hands and head and alternate SDCC Hulk head sans black overspray

2. General Ross (MCU Fury base body with new jacket overlay, forearms, and head) with alternate Glenn Talbot head and Gremlin pack-in figure)
Dorlando_calrissian
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 am

How about Captain America?
Zemo recard
Flag smasher
John Walker cap
Bucky cap
Bucky
Tank top falcon

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”