X-Men Retro Legends

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: X-Men Retro Legends

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:12 am

Most of the wave looks really good. But they still ****ed up the straps on Logan. Its baffling. The new Storm has the straps in the right place. But instead of fixing them, on at least Wolverine, who is a new sculpt, they just decided to say "why change now? We already ****ed up, may as well just keep on it." The training suit team is gonna look so weird with the girls straps being proper, and the guys ones being too high.

Spiral is fantastic. Only gripes are the swords. She needed different ones. But it's a minor nitpick.

Phoenix I have the old one, which looks better then this one, but this one doesn't look bad. It's the colors. The old ones colors look alot better. This one looks an little more generic. But it's not terrible.

Longshot saves me from having to buy that mojo set. Hes about the same, which isn't bad.

Avalanche is cool, if not a little basic. But that's what his outfit looked like, so I'll take it. I'm using the old XMen Classics one still in my display. That's not a bad figure but its showing its age.

Madrox I'll skip. I have the one I like. But it does look nice.

And the 2 from the training suit pack look good as well. It doesn't gave it's own thread yet that I saw. So...

Banshee looks fine. The straps too high is still glaring. As stated above they decided to do that with Logan too. Just stupid. But the head is cool and the cape looks like it functions better then Siryn's. Her not having a screaming head is very noticeable now though. Hopefully he comes with an alt non screaming head, just in case people wanna display him that way. Better to have both then just 1. But if it is just 1, at least it's the better of the 2 options.

Hopefully Storm has alt hands. Those lightning hands are bad... The head is great, the body looks good, the straps are in the right place. And low and behold, it doesn't hide the thigh swivel, but still looks better then the high up straps.

I love the training uniforms, but with the issues they have, I'll probably wait for a sale on those 3 packs, unless the rest of the figures blow me away or they only charge like $65 instead of the inevitable $80.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:57 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:37 am
yojoebro82 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:22 am
sepster wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:20 am

It is pinless but the arms and legs are pretty specific to this costume. Not saying there isn't a pinless Wolverine coming, but you couldn't use these arms or legs for Tiger Stripe, Brown/Tan, Astonishing, or X-Force versions.
Pinless remains a big nonissue for me. I personally think the brown and tiger stripe Wolverine we got are pretty good. I'm not calling for any updates there.
Agreed.
I'm a mark for Wolverine so I'll buy updates. But I don't need or even necessarily want them. For me, Wolverine constantly having bland or non-descript claws is a much bigger issue than visible pins since none of his looks are overly affected by the pins (unlike, say, Spider-Man where there's different colors on either side of the elbow). On the whole, I'm way more likely to buy a new Wolverine with really nicely-done claws than I am to buy one just because he's pinless.

And aren't we also rumored to be getting Fang? Dollars to donuts it's Fang Disguise Wolverine, just like the '90s, and that that will introduce more pinless parts for future Wolverines.
See, even the claws on the Hasbro Wolverines don't bother me. If I really, really wanted to, I could hit them all with a coat of spray paint, make them all uniform and non-plasticy. It's an easy fix. But personally it just doesn't bother me that much.
psylocke
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

X-Men Retro Legends

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:03 am

Finally! A handsome Logan!
I looked up and down the thread and didn’t see these pix
I can’t wait to see Psylocke now that she’ll have double elbows.
They are doing such an amazing job with these head sculpts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MCUCompletionist
Avengers Assemble

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:08 am

I have an unhealthy admiration for the team uniforms and I'm so happy we're getting them all within close proximity of each other.

I'll probably grab extras of one of the guys and gals and throw together a Jean and Scott Aswell. I'd try Nightcrawler but I don't think any of the bodies would be thin enough
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 am

Storm with a headsculpt that pays attention to detail, and representative of the art of the time, makes me hope DESPERARELY they do a Jim Lee Psylocke head, no cutting corners. I've never been able to do it, but I have faith Hasbro can.
MentalManipulator
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:03 am

RoyalCollector wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 am
Storm with a headsculpt that pays attention to detail, and representative of the art of the time, makes me hope DESPERARELY they do a Jim Lee Psylocke head, no cutting corners. I've never been able to do it, but I have faith Hasbro can.
Right? I so hope they show her sooner rather than later. And I hope she comes in the same body as Storm, since I'm liking the sculpt of it very much.
MaximumCrapping
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:33 am

It's been a long time I've been this giddy for ML reveals, but this retro wave for X-Men did just that! Love that Wolverine will finally have a great headsculpt where he isn't yelling. Avalanche looks superb and will pair so nicely with Pyro, Mystique and the upcoming Blob figure. Spiral, Storm, Stryfe and Banshee are just a thing of beauty. Next year, in my opinion, will be the best for X-Men only rivaled with the "80 years of Marvel" releases of X-Men figures.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

X-Men Retro Legends

Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 am

Great retro wave! I preordered a set of all six from Dorkside. Fantastic character selection and execution.

Highlights for me:

Dark Phoenix—this is my favorite costume for Jean. Just great colors and an great head sculpt. My problem was that the prior one has weak knees that wouldn’t keep a pose without wilting over time for me. Pinless joints will fix that only flaw. Excited to get this upgrade!

Spiral—Love her character design. She really looks deluxe. Hasbro went all-out with what appears to be excellent engineering.

Avalanche— Nice to finally get this character!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maschine9
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:09 am

Somehow I missed the DD/Bullseye/Elektra set and seeing the alternate Elektra head I would be more into the Dark Phoenix rerelease if she had that kind of level of incredible hair sculpt. I prefer the colors of the TRU release so I will be skipping her since I have it, but if she had the huge John Byrne hair Without hesitation wouldve been a preorder.

That said Spiral is just incredible, buying a second Longshot with enough new added, Avalanche is about perfect and I love that Madrox, I will attempt kitbashing an Investigations era Jamie.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:54 am

I was thinking the same thing about the Elektra hair - I wish they'd gone full 80s on this re-release and done something close to what they did for Elektra. The Greg Land hair is so modern. I loved it the first time (x2).

This wave is so refreshing!

I haven't seen many people note it, but I'm excited Dark Phoenix is finally getting the correct sash. That detail has always bugged me for being wrong. Not loving the heavy black around the eyes, though, and would have traded the bird for some sculpted boots.
JPC
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:59 am

psylocke wrote:
Awww man, my Cecelia Reyes custom dream just got so much closer to reality! Except... boxset.

Also, she looks so much like Shard!

What are the blue pegs sticking out of Banshee's side? Are those clips for the wings? And I'm so glad others are now agreeing the straps on the legs are too high. Y'all left me hanging on that branch all by myself since Morph was revealed.

The effort on Spiral is clearly evident and she looks great - so glad I sold her, Mojo and Longshot last year!!!

Same with Stryfe - Dwight sold me on Stryfe with his awesome helmet. He should wear that for protection at conventions. :)

Jamie - I've never seen this costume before. I Googled and found one old image - was this actually around for awhile? I remember him in blue, like the old ToyFare figure, but never in green.
Justice Freak
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:28 am

While i know I won't be getting all the figures in this new retro wave I have to say I personally think it's one of the best announced line ups for a wave in a very long time. Been waiting for a classic Avalanche and this version of Multiple Man. The rest look great.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:58 am

JPC wrote:
psylocke wrote:
Awww man, my Cecelia Reyes custom dream just got so much closer to reality! Except... boxset.

Also, she looks so much like Shard!

What are the blue pegs sticking out of Banshee's side? Are those clips for the wings? And I'm so glad others are now agreeing the straps on the legs are too high. Y'all left me hanging on that branch all by myself since Morph was revealed.

The effort on Spiral is clearly evident and she looks great - so glad I sold her, Mojo and Longshot last year!!!

Same with Stryfe - Dwight sold me on Stryfe with his awesome helmet. He should wear that for protection at conventions. :)

Jamie - I've never seen this costume before. I Googled and found one old image - was this actually around for awhile? I remember him in blue, like the old ToyFare figure, but never in green.
You weren't alone on those straps. I've been vocal about it as well in the animated line thread. I'm disappointed in them so much, the Morph figure I was going to buy, I am not. Even being able to remove the cell shading easily, he just has too many other problems, one of the biggest of which is those straps. I'm also going to be skipping any rerelease of that Cyclops they showed because of those stupid straps as well. And it's the biggest reason I'm waiting for a sale for the training uniforms. So close, but just not worth full price to me. The only thing that may make me get a Cylops is if I can find a good swap for better legs and I'll pull the straps off one of the other ones and put them where they need to go. Or even just buy new straps somewhere like ebay or something.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:38 pm

I don’t know if there’s an official thread to discuss the training suits yet. But I kinda wish they just included the extra heads for those who share body molds. Banshee with removable wings could have doubled as Gambit. Storm could have doubled as Psylocke. And in that case, I’d buy two of each set to display both heads. But then I’d wind up with extra heads to use on other figures. Theoretically they’d include a more Jim Lee styled Psylocke head that could upgrade the previous figure. A boy can dream.
thekunk2075
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:07 pm

I guess blob is the deluxe

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”