ML Part Swaps

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: ML Part Swaps

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:28 pm

I think part of the appeal for She-Hulk is that, like Thor, you can't really get away with not making a unique sculpt for her. There have been figures of her that are reused, and they tend to either be lame or suck all together. But the uniquely sculpted ones... You can tell they put a lot of care into making her. Even way back to Blob wave, at least compared to the other figures in that wave.

That said, I feel like part swapping onto the old Blob wave figure is tricky. That's a solid torso, no boil and pop will work on that, to my knowledge. With the old articulation set up, a lot of swapping can't be done without significant modification. Care to enlighten us on how you did yours, psylocke? The shoulder swap in particular.
psylocke
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:38 pm

NORM wrote:I think part of the appeal for She-Hulk is that, like Thor, you can't really get away with not making a unique sculpt for her. There have been figures of her that are reused, and they tend to either be lame or suck all together. But the uniquely sculpted ones... You can tell they put a lot of care into making her. Even way back to Blob wave, at least compared to the other figures in that wave.

That said, I feel like part swapping onto the old Blob wave figure is tricky. That's a solid torso, no boil and pop will work on that, to my knowledge. With the old articulation set up, a lot of swapping can't be done without significant modification. Care to enlighten us on how you did yours, psylocke? The shoulder swap in particular.
It definitely is not just a boil and pop, had I done it over would’ve dremeled more conservatively instead of drilling a big hole in her shoulder socket.
To keep the shoulders attached I used the hot glue method. So put hot glue in her shoulder socket then Vaseline on the shoulder joint and pushed the arm in as far as I could.
Here is my reasoning, if they do eventually come out with another She Hulk in this outfit I could potentially use these arms and head, because god knows they won’t get it right again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Ghost
CROM!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 pm

DaThing wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm
Now I'm wondering if that fan channel head would work on the Disney+ She-Hulk body?

Update:
Looking closer at the D+ She-Hulk, I don't think the shades of green would match.
Yeah, shade of the D+ Shulkie is lighter

TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:06 pm

NORM wrote:
I think part of the appeal for She-Hulk is that, like Thor, you can't really get away with not making a unique sculpt for her. There have been figures of her that are reused, and they tend to either be lame or suck all together. But the uniquely sculpted ones... You can tell they put a lot of care into making her. Even way back to Blob wave, at least compared to the other figures in that wave.

"Unique sculpt" has become a dirty word around here as we all become more budget conscious on Hasbro's behalf.

I get it. We want to be realistic and provide Hasbro with re-use ideas if it gets us our favorite characters and costumes. But some characters just need unique sculpts. She-Hulk and Thor as you mentioned. Green Goblin. Some characters look half-assed unless they get a body meant for them. And that's okay.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:13 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
NORM wrote:

"Unique sculpt" has become a dirty word around here as we all become more budget conscious on Hasbro's behalf.

I get it. We want to be realistic and provide Hasbro with re-use ideas if it gets us our favorite characters and costumes. But some characters just need unique sculpts. She-Hulk and Thor as you mentioned. Green Goblin. Some characters look half-assed unless they get a body meant for them. And that's okay.
I'm all for unique sculpts when necessary and possible. Some characters don't really need them though. I know you want a unique Daredevil, I would love one also, but let's be realistic. He's gonna be a nude body that's reused forever, even if they debut a brand new one for him.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:30 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:13 pm
TheSameIdiot wrote:
NORM wrote:

I'm all for unique sculpts when necessary and possible. Some characters don't really need them though. I know you want a unique Daredevil, I would love one also, but let's be realistic. He's gonna be a nude body that's reused forever, even if they debut a brand new one for him.

Honestly, I'm good with that. I'm all for re-use as long as it fits the character's body type. With She-Hulk, there aren't a ton of additional characters who fit the mold (pun intended). If Hasbro has some up its sleeve, I'm all for it.

I responded to you, incidentally, in the Bonebreaker thread about base bodies. Daredevil and Black Panther should share a body. And it shouldn't be the same one used for Cyclops or Hawkeye:

TheSameIdiot wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:09 pm
Replacing Bucky Cap is a weird thing to do because so many characters were incorrectly shoe-horned onto the body. Cyclops, Vision, and DD really shouldn't share a body. Daredevil is 5'11, 185lbs. BP is 6', 200lbs. Mr. Fantastic is 6'1, 180lbs. Cyclops is 6'3, 195lbs. Hawkeye is 6'3, 230lbs. Vision is 6'3, 300lbs. Hasbro should really expand their stable of bodies. IMO, we need:

- A lithe body for acrobatic types. The closest analog is probably the Sunfire body. This can serve the likes of DD, BP, and Mr. Fantastic. Spider-Man is 5'10, 167lbs, so this could fit him, too. Though Spidey is such a popular hero that he may warrant his own mold, like Wolverine.

- A tall and muscular body for those in between. This can serve the likes of Cyclops and Silver Surfer (6'4, 225lbs).

- A superheroic body for most heroes. Vulcan is already ideal. This serves Hawkeye, Vision, and Magneto. Most of the Marvel Universe, really. In that way, it is a Bucky Cap replacement.

- A brawler body for the big boys. This is your Hyperion or Hercules body. It serves the heavy-hitters like Luke Cage.

There's also a need for a teenage body, but the four bodies mentioned about would cover 80% of Marvel's male heroes.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 pm

I could get behind that.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 pm

Has anyone used a Lady Loki retro card head under a different hair sculpt? I'm interested to see the results, as I've considering using her once she's on sale for either a Rogue or Siryn custom. Thanks!
peanut234
Customized

Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Used one to make Black Widow. The hair is MJ bangs, sculpt in the middle and then Tigra hair in back.
Snuf500
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:08 am

Ooh, some nice things have been posted on the past few pages. That Widow ^ and the Shulkie parts swaps look great!

I just wanted to share a couple of Katebashes (okay, headswaps - the but the wordplay was too appealing to not :D ) I'd been waiting to try out...

I never liked the head on comic KP and didn't feel the likeness was that close on MCU KB, but it is a nice head. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Comic KB head onto MCU KB body is quite nice, although the flesh tones don't match and her hair struggles in almost any other position because of clashes with the quiver. I might switch it out for the comic belt-mounted one instead, but I'm pretty happy with this for now. The added detail is great because the comic fig was so plain and I don't mind that it isn't her comic costume. It's just better. I'll probably fix the fleshtone on the neck in time.
JTMarsh
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:32 am

Lady Loki looks like a pretty good option for head swap material, appreciate the feedback. My one drawback is the mouth does make her look either mean/evil somewhat, so I don't know that it'd work for Rogue, but it's good for Black Widow.

And that headswap on Kitty Pryde turned out really well also.
peanut234
Customized

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 pm

You could always repaint the lips on the Lady Loki head so that it's not so dark. They've used this head a couple times, it's the Ms. Marvel head from that three pack with Radioactive Man.
psylocke
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

ML Part Swaps

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:42 am

Some swaps…

Oh! And I can’t wait for the new Spiral to take her cybernetic arm for Magik
darkmoon766
Avengers Assemble

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:47 pm

psylocke wrote:
Some swaps…

Those are some great swaps. Where is the hair for Viper from? Is that the head from the Controller wave?
psylocke
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:15 pm

darkmoon766 wrote:
psylocke wrote:
Some swaps…

Those are some great swaps. Where is the hair for Viper from? Is that the head from the Controller wave?
Thanks!
Head is Viper’s controller wave, hair is the from the original Viper. I will have to repaint the face. I started taking rubbing alcohol to her eyeshadow and eyebrows.

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”