MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! Here is the unofficial Marvel toy board. C'mon in and talk ML, MU, Select, and all of the other Marvel toy lines.
pr1983
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: MAFEX Marvel Comics Figures

Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:11 am

MollyMillions wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:07 pm
pr1983 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 am
Is the only real difference between the new legends one and the previous modular one the paint job nd the accessories? Is it the same basic figure otherwise?
You get an extra set of hands, the Tony head, and the animated head, but also one more difference:

The chest reactor is sunken in to handle a special effect plugging in.

I prefer the original as cool as the gun is.
Ah cool, thanks. No point in my getting it then, which is a relief.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:21 am

mrboshek wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:02 pm
Does this Iron Man have some serious butterfly joints or what? Oh my!

"Don't mind me, extra shoulder stretching keeps me limber."
I haven't needed shock oil on Mafex joints, but the left hip is very tight and creaky. I'm putting him away for tonight and will apply some tomorrow.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:02 am

I got mine today and he's super rad! Here's a quick side by side with the ML:

I'll say other than the blue chest there's not much I would ask to change on the ML version. That being said, I love the look of the Mafex with the cleaner chest and thigh cuts. Also, I have no idea of costs of different types of plastic, but love the harder plastic of the Mafex figure.

My only minor complaints about the Mafex figure is he can't look up so flying forward poses are limited, but that's pretty corner case. Even more excited for Thor and Cap now!
EnigmaticClarity
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:16 pm

mrboshek wrote:
mrboshek wrote:

I haven't needed shock oil on Mafex joints, but the left hip is very tight and creaky. I'm putting him away for tonight and will apply some tomorrow.

Since they only move forward I'm not even sure we should call them butterflies. If they're butterflies they're a one-winged species I've never seen before. Not sure I like them because he looks like he's popping his shoulder out of the joint every time you fully use them.

Got Tony, Carol, and Jean yesterday. I didn't fully want any of the three since the Legends versions of all are great anyway, but I usually end up regretting passing on any Mafex so I now err towards the side of trying them out since they're usually easy to sell if you need to. I was looking forward to Endgame Carol the least, but I now like her the most because those plasma swirlies are fun. Hasbro usually includes two swirlies that are the same size, but the Mafex comes with 8 in 4 different sizes--one size for thighs, another for calves, another for biceps/triceps, and the last for forearms. In the pic below I have both forearm swirlies on her left blasting arm.

As usual the Mafex versions of all three of these are definitely better than all versions that preceded them, albeit not by much on these specific three. But I'm totally happy with all three, although I can certainly see skipping them since they're not leagues better than their Legends counterparts.

mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:41 pm

Very true about the "butterfly" term, maybe shoulder hinges? I never know what to call this type of joint. Certain figures, like Revoltech or Storm Collectibles, for example, seem to allow over extension of joints, maybe past anything humanly posible or to the point of breaking up the sculpt. If some crazy amount of ROM is available, it may work at certain angles to snap a pic. Sometimes you can't pose and have the figure look good at all 360 degrees, like in my photo.
johnchow604
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:07 am

Would have preferred Mafex Iron Man come with the ML Retro head (Dikto Armor) instead of the Iron Man head with the nose.

Benedict
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:12 am

EnigmaticClarity wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:16 pm
mrboshek wrote:
mrboshek wrote:

Since they only move forward I'm not even sure we should call them butterflies. If they're butterflies they're a one-winged species I've never seen before. Not sure I like them because he looks like he's popping his shoulder out of the joint every time you fully use them.

Got Tony, Carol, and Jean yesterday. I didn't fully want any of the three since the Legends versions of all are great anyway, but I usually end up regretting passing on any Mafex so I now err towards the side of trying them out since they're usually easy to sell if you need to. I was looking forward to Endgame Carol the least, but I now like her the most because those plasma swirlies are fun. Hasbro usually includes two swirlies that are the same size, but the Mafex comes with 8 in 4 different sizes--one size for thighs, another for calves, another for biceps/triceps, and the last for forearms. In the pic below I have both forearm swirlies on her left blasting arm.

As usual the Mafex versions of all three of these are definitely better than all versions that preceded them, albeit not by much on these specific three. But I'm totally happy with all three, although I can certainly see skipping them since they're not leagues better than their Legends counterparts.

They’re referred to as drawer joints.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:20 am

It's so weird seeing two excellent action figures of the same character/design next to each other, and not really declaring one the clear winner over the other. They're both really, really, really good. Both have some areas that are better than the other.

The only other time I've ever seen this was the first One:12 Judge Dredd that came out at the same time as the ThreeA Judge Dredd. They both looked amazing, but very different.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:42 am

os189 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:20 am
It's so weird seeing two excellent action figures of the same character/design next to each other, and not really declaring one the clear winner over the other. They're both really, really, really good. Both have some areas that are better than the other.

The only other time I've ever seen this was the first One:12 Judge Dredd that came out at the same time as the ThreeA Judge Dredd. They both looked amazing, but very different.
I don't think most people are really even attempting to debate which is the better product between the Mafex Iron Man and the ML counterpart. Obviously the Mafex is the better product, and from "most" (not all) of the reviews I've read/seen, everyone pretty much comes to the conclusion the Mafex is better, but the ML version is closer than they thought it would be, and for the SRP price point of the ML 80th Iron Man, it is impressive that it can actually stand next to a figure that's quadruple the price. But I don't see many people who actually think the ML is better than the Mafex, it's just closer than we thought it would be.

It is a super victory though in a sense for the ML version of Iron Man, because even though it's not the better product overall, it's still getting talked about a lot more than it was a few weeks ago. Kinda a shame honestly, it feels like the ML Iron Man is stealing the spotlight from this new, excellent Mafex version, despite the Mafex version still being the superior product. All a ML has to do at this point is be somewhat comparable to its Mafex counterpart, and it creates headlines, to the point where people start getting confused which is the better figurelol
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:11 am

I don't think it's that simple.

I like the head and paint better on the MAFEX, but the body sculpt and proportions look better on the ML to me. I wouldn't say the MAFEX is clearly superior.

If I showed that picture to my mom and told her to tell me which one is "better" or even which one is more expensive, she'd never be able to tell.
johnchow604
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Its too bad Mafex didn't drop the proton cannon. Mafex Iron Man cost more than a usual Mafex and I'm guessing that's what added the extra cost.
AddictBraids
Runs Around in Tights

Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:59 pm

os189 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:11 am
I don't think it's that simple.

I like the head and paint better on the MAFEX, but the body sculpt and proportions look better on the ML to me. I wouldn't say the MAFEX is clearly superior.

If I showed that picture to my mom and told her to tell me which one is "better" or even which one is more expensive, she'd never be able to tell.
I mean sure, your Mom might not be able to tell the difference just by looking at a picture, but if you put both in a actual collectors hands and ask them which is the better overall product, it would be a landslide in the Mafex versions favor. Especially if we erase the price differences and weigh out accessories for both, the Mafex version is definitely the better overall product. Even if we don't count accessories, just the figures straight up how they come out of the box, the Mafex version beats the ML version in almost every way. Paint, Articulation, Sculpt, the Mafex is superior in almost every way. The only thing I could see maybe be a true point of contention would be personal preference stuff (ie I prefer his mask to look this way, or I prefer his armor to be buffer).
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:19 pm

Such a beautifully done figure. The articulation, colors and accessories are all on point. This is probably my favourite Brie Larson likeness a company has done in the 6 inch scale, dethroning the Mezco's rather sickly looking entry.

Blackestday
CROM!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:22 pm

RoyalCollector wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:19 pm
Such a beautifully done figure. The articulation, colors and accessories are all on point. This is probably my favourite Brie Larson likeness a company has done in the 6 inch scale, dethroning the Mezco's rather sickly looking entry.

it looks like conan o'brien dressed up as cinematic captain marvel
RoyalCollector
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:26 pm

Then the cosplay is on point!

Return to “The Baxter Building: The Unofficial Marvel Toy Board”