KickStarter: SKELETRON's RoboSkull Mk II

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
dayraven
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: KickStarter: SKELETRON's RoboSkull Mk II

Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 pm

The success of this campaign is stunning. They nlew through funding and stretch goals like no toy order we've seen before. Is this due more to our wanting to spend some cash after being stymied most of 2020, or the bat sh!t awesome design of their updated skull?
Reefer Shark
CROM!

Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm

dayraven wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 pm
The success of this campaign is stunning. They nlew through funding and stretch goals like no toy order we've seen before. Is this due more to our wanting to spend some cash after being stymied most of 2020, or the bat sh!t awesome design of their updated skull?
Im chalking it up to the bat sh!t awesome design. Plus I feel like higher end 1:18 has been getting a bit more popular in general lately.

I ended up going all-in at red shadows level III for 480. Kicking myself for waiting, could have saved $40. But at the rate the stretch goals are being met, its still going be an amazing value. Plus I’ll most likely sell the 1/12 figures, so that’ll recoup a decent chunk!

Now the long wait until 2023.
minitaur
Super Poseable

Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm

I want to love this, but I don’t. I wasn’t aware of the original but seeing the original posted here, I like the original a lot more than this new Kickstarter.

The original looks like a toy. The KS looks like a novelty statue that would be sold in Hot Topic stores in the mall to goth teens.

I want to like this so bad because I collect GI Joe classified and I’d love a vehicle for it and I have some old original 3 3/4” joes I could use in a display there too.

Not even exactly sure why I’m not loving this because man, I really want to love it. I think maybe the red is too bright, maybe the Mohawk shape of the top, makes it feel punk rock Hot Topic, maybe the skull is too detailed and either a real ship or a real toy would be less detailed. So it looks statuesque more than toyetic.

Anyone else feel the same as me? I hope I see more pics and change my mind because this would be really cool for my collection.
TFitz
Master of Avatars

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:13 pm

I think it looks awesome with very smart engineering. I just can't think of where this would fit in my collection, so I'm passing for now.
DennyCrane
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 am

hellspawn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:56 pm
This looks nothing like Robo or his skull…
Maybe it's a What If?: Robo grew a mohawk like Shartimus, then painted it red and went batsh!t over-the-top nuts with guns and whatnot and...I'm just describing Shartimus aren't I? :D :wink:
crosshair
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:45 pm

I think having the swap out seats so you can use it for both 1:18th and 1:12th figures is bringing in a lot of different folks. I can't think of another KS that had both in one.

Glowy eyes look great as well!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:24 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 pm
The 6" figure is unlocked. I expect the control artist is furiously at work throwing a pic together as we speak.
This is not the kind of temptation I need in my life. I really like the look of the vehicle and it's ability to be used as a 1/12 scale personal craft is pretty attractive. But this has been an expensive toy year for me and slotting this project in is aLOT. Also, not sure where I put it - it's pretty massive. My love of cool toys and my desire to help small operations doing these out of love is at war with every ounce of common sense I have. Sigh....
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 pm

crosshair wrote:

Yup! I'm super excited about those eyes.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm

Happily for me, this doesn't do anything for me. Like NOTHING. And I'm not knocking it BTW. I'm glad for once I'm not tempted by something.

But it was like the new Batman trailer that everyone was jizzing their pants over. I was just like "huh, doesn't do anything for me" and I feel the same about this.

I do like the 6 inch and 3 3/4 conversion technique, that's pretty cool. And I appreciate that so much Red Shadows stuff is being made, even if none of it is official.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm

crosshair wrote:
I think having the swap out seats so you can use it for both 1:18th and 1:12th figures is bringing in a lot of different folks. I can't think of another KS that had both in one.

The 6” aspect is what will draw me in if I pull the trigger on this,which I probably will.

Also the fact that the stretch goals are close together and are not made to gouge the base like Hasbro.

The initial funding was nice and reasonable unlike say the Street Humans KS which seems too high imo.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:25 pm

OK.... while I furiously try to talk myself out of the actual RoboSkull - I went ahead and pledged for one of the 6" figures and figure I can add more in the backerkit if that feels right. If they wanted to do a variant of the 6" figure with a different helmet or in a different color I would almost certainly be in for that as well.... especially if that keeps me from spending on that gorgeous vehicle that I don't have any room to display.
FlexionDynamo
Avengers Assemble

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm

Oh man, you guys are killing me. I cant get just 1, I need 2 or 3! This would definitely go with my G.I. Joe Retro.

Maybe I'll get the SE/weasel, then pick up 2 regular ones when they drop retail for Wing men.

Hmmmmmmmm.
Reefer Shark
CROM!

KickStarter: SKELETRON's RoboSkull Mk II

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:18 am

Some more pretty awesome sounding stretch goals were announced today.

Glad that the flight stand is next up, thats definitely the most useful one for me. If these all get funded, the red shadows all-in deal has become a bargain!Image
Matthew K
nah, pass

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:03 am

I thought it was pretty clever to make it compatible with two scales. Certainly drew me in.

I only have a passing familiarity with the red shadows since they appeared in Hama’s recent run on G.I. Joe, but that original toy has an appeal that this modern take captures well.

As it is, I think I’ll have to get one. Maybe a pilot depending on how those look. I’d like to see more detailed renders for the six inch figures. I’m also super curious to see their take on Skeletron for the stretch goals. That could be a great figure.
maczero
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 pm

TFitz wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:13 pm
I think it looks awesome with very smart engineering. I just can't think of where this would fit in my collection, so I'm passing for now.
That's where I'm at. Looks amazing but as an MCU collector, it really has no place in my collection. Although, I'm already creating a "What if Red Skull won" storyline in my head to justify buying this thing.

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”