Quit breaking your figures' legs, people!

F-TEAM! ASSEMBLE! Doo doo doo dum dum! - Not all toy topics can be assigned a famous block. Talk about the rest of the toy lines here!
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Quit breaking your figures' legs, people!

Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 pm

IMHO, the biggest and worst sin I see in other people's collections is broken patellar ligaments. To my understanding of the point-of-articulation when it was introduced to action figures in the 90s and my understanding of the human body the lower knee hinge does nothing except replicate the compressibility of human flesh on the backside of the leg so figures can approach a heel-squat. There are figures that approach that heel-squat pose with solitary knee hinges, possible by simply cutting away a lot of that leg backside 'meat'. But this then can make the overall knee look too skinny or otherwise unpalatable to look at (moreso than engineering we're more accustomed to).

So, this means one of the knee hinges is 'real' and one is 'imaginary'. But how do we tell which one is which? For human-accurate posing one should flex the 'real' one before the 'imaginary' one, yes?

If you're still with me all one has to do to discern the 'real' from the 'imaginary' is look down at your own kneecap as you sit there reading all this guff. If you're a standard human your kneecap will be pointing directly forward as you sit with your leg bent at a simple 90-degree angle. At no point will your kneecap be pointing up while the leg is bent, *ever* unless you're injured. This would indicate that the top knee hinge joint is the 'real' one that should be bent first to replicate proper kneecap motion with the 'imaginary' lower hinge being flexed only once the top is completely bent. imho.

Basically, when I see this all I think is that these poor people should be laying on the ground screaming in snapped-ligament agony and I hate seeing it:
MollyMillions
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Re: Quit breaking your figures' legs, people!

Thu May 06, 2021 9:49 pm

This is one of those things I quietly seethe about, so I appreciate you.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm

This was kind of brought up recently in the Star Wars Black thread. For those that don't collect Star Wars, Hasbro has been moving toward single jointed knees and some figures will have their knee pad or armor facing up when the knee is bent, like Deluxe Boba Fett. The knee pad is attached to the thigh.

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 pm

I don't care enough for this to really matter to me. I -have- tried to make those minor adjustments in my collection from time to time but I often come into the problem that it's actually more difficult to get the upper hinge to move. Seems like the lower one always bends first and then you have to try to grab the knee itself to straighten the lower hinge and get the upper one to bend and [email protected]#$.. it's just not worth all the fiddling.
Of course, almost none of my toys are posed in deep knee-bends anyway.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 3:55 am

Thanks for posting this PSA. One of the things I look for in a human/humanoid figure is the legs and arms bending at the appropriate length. Aside from Y-angled hips, no articulation point frustrates me more than knees or elbows causing incorrect shin or forearm length..
Wavehawk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am

I apologize. Kneecapping people is an old teenage habit of mine. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm less bothered by what people do in their own collections, and more with my browsing of the forum being directly affected by people who post those giant emojis or quote a long post of pictures directly under the original post, especially when multiple people keep doing it, so all I see for pages & pages are the same 12 photos over and over and over.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 2:23 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:35 pm
I don't care enough for this to really matter to me. I -have- tried to make those minor adjustments in my collection from time to time but I often come into the problem that it's actually more difficult to get the upper hinge to move. Seems like the lower one always bends first and then you have to try to grab the knee itself to straighten the lower hinge and get the upper one to bend and [email protected]#$.. it's just not worth all the fiddling.
Of course, almost none of my toys are posed in deep knee-bends anyway.
This! I definitely prefer to get the kneecap in the proper place with my display, but so often I run into the issue where one joint works better than the other and it's not worth the hassle to try to get the knee to work properly. I have one, lone, Plunderling and on it my left leg has a free lower knee joint and the right leg is the opposite. It's not an easy to replace figure should it break, so I have never bothered to try to free those joints because he stands and poses fine as-is. Plus, I basically never do sitting poses or anything where the knee is bent to such a degree that it bothers me.
Akatsuki
Fwoosh Armored Division Platoon Leader

Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 pm

TENIME_art wrote:I'm less bothered by what people do in their own collections, and more with my browsing of the forum being directly affected by people who post those giant emojis or quote a long post of pictures directly under the original post, especially when multiple people keep doing it, so all I see for pages & pages are the same 12 photos over and over and over.
You may be seeing the result of people using mobile apps to post to the forum. These apps collapse quotes automatically and streamline forum browsing. On Tapatalk, neither of the things you mentioned appear on my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

That's so funny; I *always* notice the knees, especially when it's a character who wears knee pads or has knee flare of some kind. I'll see a really cool Colossus pic, for example, but the point of his boot will be pointed up toward his hips instead of following the line of his shin, and I mentally note "that would look better if they fixed the knee." Or I'll see a character wearing knee pads and the way the leg is bent, the knee pad is facing up along the line of the quads instead of facing down along the line of the shin, which defeats the entire point of a knee pad.

Not something I'd call out, but I always notice it.
joshsquash729
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 pm

I will say, as stated above, for some reason, the lower joint always moves first, and the upper is often suuuper tight, even after some heat to loosen the joint. I've broken multiple figures just trying to get the other joint to move. I've even heated the joint, gone super slowly in trying to bend it, and it still snaps. Is it operator error? Knowing me, most likely, but still.
MollyMillions
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 pm
I will say, as stated above, for some reason, the lower joint always moves first, and the upper is often suuuper tight, even after some heat to loosen the joint. I've broken multiple figures just trying to get the other joint to move. I've even heated the joint, gone super slowly in trying to bend it, and it still snaps. Is it operator error? Knowing me, most likely, but still.
I use a hot water soak and hold it on the joint as I bend it. Just go for the least leverage possible for less stress.

For Mezco I ziplock them before the soak.

I just have better results across the board with hot water vs a heat gun or blowdryer.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
I'm less bothered by what people do in their own collections, and more with my browsing of the forum being directly affected by people who post those giant emojis or quote a long post of pictures directly under the original post, especially when multiple people keep doing it, so all I see for pages & pages are the same 12 photos over and over and over.
There's no "Like" feature on the forum, so I'm quoting to say "PREACH!"

That quoting photos over and over makes some of these threads super tedious to read... especially when they're only adding a line or two of text of their own.
Grins
Avengers Assemble

Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 pm

I'd also like to add that when I'm playing or posing my figures it really is quite the distraction to walk outside to yell at those damn kids to get off my lawn.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 08, 2021 10:07 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Yeah, the giant emojis are annoying as hell. If it IS a Taptalk thing, it needs to be disabled or something, because not everyone uses mobile devices to surf the forum. :mrgreen:
<get off my lawn you stinkin kids>

If I need to reference a multi quote post, I will "frat" the unneeded parts so I directly respond to the post in question.

As for the knee thing, I try not to let it bother me. If it doesn't bother the person who posted it, why should I care?

Return to “Island of Misfit Toys: The General Toys Talk Forum”